Hairy Bikers/Dieters - calorie allowance

Options
13»

Replies

• Wullie32
    Options
    It's been a bit of an eye-opener for me reading the MFP forums for the first time today and seeing the debates over 1200 calories. I'm a 27 year old bloke, 6 foot tall, who knows absolutely nothing about diets or calories but I was starting to eat far too many snacks at work, drink loads and stuff my face with chocolate of an evening etc and starting to grow out of many of my favourite clothes. To look at, I didn't look that overweight (even though my BMI was creeping up towards obese) but it was all going on my belly.

After a heavy Christmas/New Year, my girlfriend and I decided we'd try and cut down - then that night we saw the Hairy Bikers diet show and immediately went out and bought the book and it's been a revelation for us.

We naturally decided to do what they'd done and go for 1200 cals-ish, we got the fantastic MFP app and I started at 1430 before dropping to 1200 (impatience) and in around seven weeks, I've lost nearly a stone, down from 206lb to 194lb, and my clothes are actually starting to feel a bit big! I want to drop to around 175 and then increase calories to a maintenance level and stick around there.

So I've been really surprised to come on here tonight and see the amount of people saying 1200 is starvation, less than the body needs to function etc, I have to be honest, I've not struggled at all to stick at that amount and haven't been going hungry. I have a boiled egg in the mornings, take a tuna, salad and cheese wrap, bag of light crisps and two pieces of fruit to work, and then have a very filling meal from the Bikers book (500 calories max generally) in the evening, mainly only drinking water or low calorie soft drinks all day. I walk a mile to work and a mile back, and play 5-a-side for an hour once a week but that's my only real exercise so it's all diet based.

However I have hit a bit of a stumbling block, I've not really lost this week at the rate I had been - I had been putting it down to a bit of a blow-out last weekend on a trip away but it all came back off within a day or two - is this the time when I should be upping my calorie amount? There's so many differing opinions on here, it's difficult to know what to believe! I've already upped my MFP app back to what it suggests for me, but that's still only 1370 while a BMR (first time I've heard of BMR was tonight!) calculator says my BMR should be around 2000! I'd find it really scary eating 2000 a day at the moment, simply because I'd be convinced that I'd go up again.

The thing is that I'd actually struggle to put that much back in at the moment anyway because I feel like I've been eating really well - if I were to try and raise my calorie count, I'd probably do it with fattening stuff like a pint of cider, glass of milk, fizzy drink or a chocolate bar, simply because I feel like I've been getting enough from my meals.

All thoughts are welcome!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love Hairy dieters cookbook and use it loads. I still have 30lb to go and have found weight loss has stalled. I have increased my calories by 200cals/day to see if that will help. I have been doing this for 2 weeks, the first week i stayed the same, the second week, this week I lost 1.2lb. I'm going to give it another 2 weeks before I draw any firm conclusions. I also am trying to make my exercise more effective. To this aim I bought a heart rate monitor and it has been very enlightening. Some thing I thought I was burning loads of calories and calling exercise, actually my heart rate hardly increased so i wasn't really burning anything! As you get fitter you have to do harder exercise to have the same effect. If you are going to try to change your calorie levels I would suggest you do it slowly. Also use your extra calories wisely, more lean protein is usually a safe bet!
  • fatboy_no8
    Options
    So....my last message was 5 weeks in on the Hairy Bikers Diet - today represents 6 months.

Have I been able to stick to it? In a nutshell, yes! 88lbs (6 and a quarter stone).

I've found the food good, it's been easy to maintain/monitor (especially with the MFP app) and, even better, I started back on the booze and now eat back "burned" calories (I try to do this only on weekends/holidays but......).

Weight loss has slowed right down now but this is good as I have dropped from tight fitting XL+ to M clothes (even M at Promark!) and my jeans size has dropped 6".

It has worked for me but may not be for everyone - combine it with MFP and together you will achieve your goal.

Happy weekend

D
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic Fatboy - you'll have to change your name now :wink:

I bought my husband tickets for their live show as a Valentines present, so I'm hoping they'll have the books available to buy and sign for me then. I've tried a few of their recipes, but would love to try a few more.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Big fan of the lads here (see my profile, they're listed as inspirations), been following since Namibia.

Remember they did the whole thing under full medical supervision, kinda like the Hairiest Loser in some respects. Props to the lads for getting the results they did all the same, here's hoping it means they'll be around for many years to come!
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    As far as I have read doctors are pretty quick to give out a low calorie limit if patients are obese; to bring them down to a healthy weight asap. But it has proven that crash diets don't work long term, watching their latest show they have gained back a lot of weight.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've looked at Prof Roy Taylor's information on the web and he's a diabetes expert. There is some evidence that very low calorie diets over a specific time frame can remove people from the risk of diabetes or even make a diabetic be not diabetic any more. The boys were asked to lose 2.5 stone. I'm guessing that they can probably afford to lose even more than that. I have about 3 stone to lose and have hit a plateau eating around 1500 calories/ day. Even before that my weight loss was pretty slow, at less than 1lb a week. I have bought their book for some inspiration and plan to stick to 1200-1300 a day for the next three months or so and see if it works for me.

Exactly! It did rid me of diabetes. I was eating 1300/1400 at 301lbs and not eating calories back. Now If I'm totally inactive (I have been due to pneumonia and sickness) I eat 1400, if I'm well and more active.. Working out regularly and working I eat 1700 and don't eat exercise calories back. My bloods have been perfect for 12 months.. I no longer have diabetes.

It's also brought my high blood pressure and heart rate down, and the rest of my bloods... Cholesterol are also perfect. It's been a great way for me to eat and has worked well for me.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    So....my last message was 5 weeks in on the Hairy Bikers Diet - today represents 6 months.

Have I been able to stick to it? In a nutshell, yes! 88lbs (6 and a quarter stone).

I've found the food good, it's been easy to maintain/monitor (especially with the MFP app) and, even better, I started back on the booze and now eat back "burned" calories (I try to do this only on weekends/holidays but......).

Weight loss has slowed right down now but this is good as I have dropped from tight fitting XL+ to M clothes (even M at Promark!) and my jeans size has dropped 6".

It has worked for me but may not be for everyone - combine it with MFP and together you will achieve your goal.

Happy weekend

D

That's incredible! Congrats!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    To me, the book wasn't with the money. I have to feed a family of 6 and just about every recipe is too time consuming. There are so many recipes out there and I have moved on from this book. I made about 6 of the recipes and all were tasty. Some of them call for so many ingredients it drives the cost up.

I also remember on the show that she told them a calorie is a calorie, I don't agree with this because they can be healthy or unhealthy calories.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I usually enjoy the Hairy Bikers cooking programs, but I didn't think much of the dieting show. I didn't like their calorie goals, didn't like their use of low/non fat products, etc. I found it all very dated and somewhat gimmicky.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Bump. For curiosity and the OP's cheese sauce recipe!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My daughter bought me the Book for Christmas (do I detect a hint Daughter dear?) and then I watched the programme. I agree with most of you that they were on a crash (hmmn... unfortunate term for Bikers) diet but can see reasons for it.
    Of the 2 of them Si had fairly serious health issues. Maybe this was the basis for the programme? He had to lose weight fast, Dave came along for the ride ( I really am going to have to buy that motorbike) and hey! What the hell -let's make a programme about it....

I felt the dieting advice was a bit 'all over the place'. But now I look back at it I think it was mostly sound. And more importantly inspiring. It took me until February 1st to have my dieting epiphany when I found mfp almost by accident. I am now 12lbs lighter, counting calories and seeing this as a life change rather than a diet.

It's all about calories. Calories in vs calories out. it doesn't matter how you do it, Hairy/Paleo/Macro/Atkins/WW/Slimming World/Fibreplan/mfp etc when it comes right down to it its how many calories you eat and use in a day that will make you thin or make you fat. How you do it is up to you. You have to do what you can work with and stick to. This was borne out on the programme from the mates they had along on their journey. Not all of them lost. They had support, they had the diet, for some it worked for some it didn't. This is where what is happening in your own head comes into it. You can take a fat person to a diet but you can't make him stop eating after he's eaten it.

Regarding the Cookbook? I found it to be a sensible easy to use cookbook. Yes, the ingredient lists do read like War and Peace occasionally . Some if not most of the stuff you will have in your cupboards and all the ingredients were easily obtainable. Do try the Food Smart Meal mixer too. It's free and its fun. https://befoodsmart.change4life.co.uk/
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    MISS CHESTNUT
    I asked my GP for help losing weight, all they could offer me was a discount on Tesco Diets or regular visits to the nurse to be weighed! No nutritional advice, no advice on calculating calorie intake and no access to any kind of counselling (I asked for weight loss counselling as my main problem is emotional eating - they couldn't offer me anything!).

It seems like the Government and the nhs spend a lot of time talking about the fact that there's an obesity crisis, but don't seem to have the time/money to help people get it sorted (at least not at the less extreme end of the scale - I was told that my bmi was too low to qualify me for gastric band surgery - even though I hadn't actually asked for that in the first place!!! I just wanted some help to lose the weight myself without resorting to surgery!).

You make a really important point in your 2nd paragraph, above!

Last year I went to see the head of the practice at my surgery and he is about 280lbs himself. I asked him for help to lose weight and he patted his stomach and laughed, saying that if I ever found a way to lose weight, could I let him know.

What hope is there when the head of a large practice can't help himself, and nor can the other five GPs in the practice help him?
  • ms_borgias
    Options
    I seem to remember them both discussing high blood pressure and taking medication for it woth the doctor at the start, in which case the faster they can get their weight down the better.