This fat kid is going to a buffet and she is worried

Options
Tonight some friends are taking my husband and i out to an all you can eat buffet. Is it approprate to bring a measuring cup and small digital food scale with me? This is the first time i have eaten out sence starting and am a bit worried. Also any sugestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Ps i have to go. I have to face my fear sometime so please do not tell me to skip it.

Replies

• Katia_B
    Options
    I think only you know if it's appropriate to take a scale and measuring cup with you.

For me, my fighting power at the buffets is to only take one pass and to aim for food that I can identify the ingredients so I can feel good about estimating what I ate later.

Also, and obviously this varies from person to person, you can use your hand as a guide for measurement estimation: http://lifehacker.com/5880630/use-your-hand-to-estimate-your-portions

When I end up at buffets, I try to fill up my plate with the veggies and fruits first, and then I go back around for protein and other carbs before I sit down.

Another great trick for these things is to eat a snack before you go so that you aren't starving before you get there. Eating a light salad or a few raw almonds will take the edge off and help your will power.

GOOD LUCK! You can totally do this! :happy:
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Buffets are hard. That being said, you can get through this. Fill up on fruits, vegetables and meat. Limit your portions of refined carbs and starchy carbs. So instead of a heaping spoonful of mac n cheese, if you really like man n cheese have just a little bit. This may be an evening that you may have to go "off the grid" when it comes to tracking. Don't go crazy and don't starve either. Moderation :flowerforyou:
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    you dont have to miss out on it at all! just pick the healthier options and using your hand as a measure is a great idea as posted above!
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    Thanks for the support and advice ya'll. I am also gunna take an extra 2 mile walk this afternoon just to give me that extra leg room. I am starting to know when i am full to so that is a plus. I used cherrios in my measure cups to figure what 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cup looks lile
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    At nice, big buffets where the choices are overwhelming, I take one walk through, filling up on the veggies that I guess to have the least oil/ fats added. If there is actual salad, raw veggies, even better!

On the second pass, I get more veggies and what I judge to be a serving of lean protein.

At small, crowded buffets where you have to stand in line to all go passed one side of one table ( a lot of our local restaurants do this for lunch - they just pile more stuff on the salad bar), I load up the plate with veggies and find room for the protein.

If I haven't been over in calories for the week, I try to limit myself without stressing over it.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Load up at the salad bar with tons of fruit & fresh veggies and just a bit of lo-cal dressing if you can't stomach the veggies plain
    Then hit the fish or skinless chicken
    Love something high cal?
    Take just a bit of it
    Drink water or diet soda
    Get a smidgen of dessert

Then get back into your food and exercise routine tomorrow and don't feel bad about any of it
    That's self-defeating
    Let us know how it goes :smile:
  • IcklePickle18
    Options
    but look! - you're already showing how far you've come by planning what you're going to eat and fitting in exercise to accommodate that - way to go for the lifestyle change!! :D x
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    This might be helpful: remember that your fist is about the size of a cup, a 3 oz serving of meat is about as big as a deck of playing cards, and 2 tablespoons is about as big as a ping pong ball or the volume of a shot glass.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that you're now aware of what you eat is a huge step. Everyone has pretty much covered what to fill up your plate with...so follow through, enjoy yourself, and you can be proud of yourself for handling it differently than in the past.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'l second what others have said - go through and get fresh fruit and salad fixings in the first round. Be careful on the salad dressing, cheese and croutons - that's where the calories are, lol.

Wait 10 minutes - if you're still hungry, then go back for the hot stuff. You likely won't be as hungry anymore so you're not as likely to get overlarge portions! Drink a bunch of water before and during your meal too.

And getting an extra walk in - great idea! Just keep in mind, having a little splurge for a special occasion won't derail you. Tomorrow's a new day! Have fun!!!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Remember: All You Can Eat is an offer, not a requirement of attendance.

Look for the good food. I usually head for shrimp and vegetables, especially salad, plus fresh fruit. Pastry is likely to be soggy, greasy and ultimately a waste of your calories. Don't look sad and let everyone know you're 'trying to be really good', just pick things you like that have some nutritional value, then they won't see you as suffering, so won't try and encourage you to have something you don't need much pushing to eat.

If offered something, or asked 'why don't you have..?', practise saying 'oh, I've got this right now. Maybe in a minute'.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Measuring food you don't even know what's in them for most of it?
    2 solutions:

1.Cheat day: Don't even bother, and enjoy!
    2. Try to get a small portion of plain meat and lost of veggies (no sauce)
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    I loveu guys! I will let you know how i do.
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    :love: Update! Home from dinner. The nachos looked so freekin good and i havent spurged sence i started so i took the baked tortilla bowl, filled it with spinach and leaf lettace,1/8 ish cup of ground beef and losts of tomatoes, bell pepers onions and mushroom put 1/8 ish cup of cheese and plennty of salsa. Spent about 600 kals but feel good about it. I am still under for the day. Hooorrraaaayyyy for me.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tbkuehn
    Options
    I knew a trainer years ago, and for diet, she stressed "good, better, best". Meaning if you can't pick the ideal foods to eat, at least make better choices. Don't get cheese on the hamburger, baked fish instead of fried, etc. Sounds exactly what you did with the baked tortilla bowl, loaded with veggies. You satisfied the craving for nachos, but with a healthier choice.

Your ramp up to the buffet was great. I do the same thing on Fridays, where I know my wife and I are going to go out for dinner that night. I schedule my longer run that morning to burn more calories, and then make sure I make great choices during the day, so I have room that night to have a beer with dinner, or a higher calorie entree. I never called it a cheat day, since I still stayed within my net calorie goal for the day.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted how you did at the buffet! AND you did great. Now that you know you can do it, that will help take away the fear of eating out with friends. You should be very proud of your wise choices!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    :love: Update! Home from dinner. The nachos looked so freekin good and i havent spurged sence i started so i took the baked tortilla bowl, filled it with spinach and leaf lettace,1/8 ish cup of ground beef and losts of tomatoes, bell pepers onions and mushroom put 1/8 ish cup of cheese and plennty of salsa. Spent about 600 kals but feel good about it. I am still under for the day. Hooorrraaaayyyy for me.
    :flowerforyou:

Woo Hoo!
    Great job!!:flowerforyou:
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nice Job then! :bigsmile:
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Is there anything inappropriate at a buffett? :)

Why not do it and lightheartedly share what you're doing with others (you'll know how much sharing is appropriate:). You're not a crackhead measuring out your drug into a spoon. You're someone with a goal trying to improve her life!

Good luck:)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water first. Then get one plate and choose things that are grilled or baked. Pick lots of green veggies and save room for a little desert. Enjoy!