Transitioning from White (Iron Kids) bread to healthier whea

Options
kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
What 'good' bread do you recommend for a lifelong white bread/Iron Kids bread eater?

I have eaten wheat in the past, but OMG I looked last night and saw a ton of options, including low calorie...although the bread calories are not getting to me...but if it tastes good, I can do it!

I don't like a lot of 'seeds' on the crust. (Gets stuck between my teeth).

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• chronosfire
    chronosfire Posts: 52
    Options
    I love the Weight Watchers bread personally. 2 slices is only 100-120 calories. They have a Whole Weat and Multigrain one. Both are awesome!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I like Nature's Own, several varietys. I really like earthgrains thin bun's too!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I can't help much with brands since I tend to go with the kind baked at my grocery store (and I like seeds on the crust!). But in general I look for "WHOLE wheat" as the first ingredient on the list and not just "multi-grain" or "stone ground" or what-have-you in the name. A bread can be "multigrain" and really no better than white bread.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/multi-grain-vs-whole-grain.aspx

And I look at the nutritional information for very low sugar. You would be surprised how much some breads have. The kind I am currently eating has only 2g/serving.

Sprouted grain breads like Ezekial or French Meadow (a bakery in my neighborhood that ships nationwide) are also great, but usually quite a bit more expensive.
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    That transition was difficult for me... I wanted to get rid of all of our processed/bleached flour, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils.

Eventually what seemed best was the Costco Kirkland signature Multi-Grain bread. It has a TON of fiber/healtheir carbs. It does have quite a few calories per slice, so I usually make a huge sandwich with just one slice to save cals. It is really filling and for some reason was an easy alternative for us. It freezes well and isn't too expensive. Our kids even like it (6&1).
  • Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like the Sara lee light bread 45 calories a slice plus it comes in white, wheat, and 12 grain
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own Honey Wheat (they have a light version w/oly 45 cal per slice) and Oroweat Honey Wheat Sandwhich Thins (100 cals each). My husband only eats Nature's own and I eat it when I have the calories, otherwise I like/prefer the Owoweat. Both are really good though! If you're interested in the sandwhich thins, I found them in the bread isle by the hamburger and hot dog buns.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Do you like wheat bread? If you are trying to get used to the taste I'd recommend starting with the White Wheat bread (I think it is Sara Lee) then transition (quickly!) :) to something healthier. For white bread, I like the Healthy Life bread which is 35-40 calories a slice. They also have good wheat bread. My current favorite bread is Aldi's 12 grain bread. It is 110 calories/slice but it is SO filling (and I'm finding I need the extra calories to make it to my daily goal anyway... when I am much closer to goal and trying to live on 1200 calories/day I might have a different opinion!)
  • kspeach
    Options
    I don't LOVE wheat sandwich bread, but as a kid, I LOVED homemade warm wheat bread with butter. MMMMMMM.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Is it that you are having a hard time finding wheat bread that you like the taste of? Standard wheat bread, I find...is BLAH! :) The best bread out there for your body is sprouted whole wheat, and yes, it looks a little intimidating if you are used to eating white bread. It really does have a ton of flavor and taste sweet because of the wheat berries in the bread. An easy way to tell the difference between wheat vs. sprouted whole wheat is to simply look at the nutrition label and see what the protein content is. The sprouted whole wheat should have anywhere from 4-8 grams of protein per serving. Also, if you buy organic than you can avoid a lot of the processed garbage that is added into the breads like Wonder, Iron Kids...etc. Hope this helps!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Natures own Honey wheat light is very good and only 40 calories per slice.
  • kspeach
    Options
    Is it that you are having a hard time finding wheat bread that you like the taste of? Standard wheat bread, I find...is BLAH! :) The best bread out there for your body is sprouted whole wheat, and yes, it looks a little intimidating if you are used to eating white bread. It really does have a ton of flavor and taste sweet because of the wheat berries in the bread. An easy way to tell the difference between wheat vs. sprouted whole wheat is to simply look at the nutrition label and see what the protein content is. The sprouted whole wheat should have anywhere from 4-8 grams of protein per serving. Also, if you buy organic than you can avoid a lot of the processed garbage that is added into the breads like Wonder, Iron Kids...etc. Hope this helps!

Interesting! Thanks!

Thanks y'all!