Low cal, low fat and low cost recipes needed :)

Options
Hey guys,

I am a student living in a student house and my meals are lacking. I am getting sooooo bored of the same thing and would appreciate any low cost low cal meal ideas if people could pretty please share :) I only manage to work part time so money is tight.

ThankYouuuu

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Baked potato.
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Thats one of the things im bored of but erm thanks for the enthusiasm lol
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    canned tuna goes a long way.
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    my new fav meal. 1 pack 99% lean ground turkey. Score into 4 squares (4 servings). shread 1/2 cup carrot and 1/2 cup zuchinni, mix w/one serving ground turkey & fry in a non stick sillet sprayed w/pam. you can make about 4 good size patties.. less than 200 calories and 1g fat.
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    oh and 1 egg white (sorry). add non salt spices .. whatever you like..
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Ah yes my trusty friend tuna lol I love tuna and that does sound yummy will try everything
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884385-soup-recipes

Try this thread for some good options.
  • rhonag
    Options
    Watch for meat sales - lean cuts of pork or turkey.

Don't know how much prep you are willing to do, but if you buy a whole turkey, it will take you a long way. My dad showed me how to de-bone one, or really you can just cut the meat off. You can chop it pretty fine by hand and use it where mince would be used (chili, shepards pie). Ground turkey is expensive, but you can get whole turkeys on sale really cheap, and it freezes a while.

Dried beans are super cheap and you can make chili, soups, dips..
    You can also use cauliflower to make pizza crust, mashed (for Shepard's pie), or like fried rice
    I find that making things from scratch are better for you (and lower sugar/salt/fat) and way cheaper.

I like using a grain (millet or brown rice can be cheap), adding some sauteed/roasted meat like diced turkey, and adding tons of whatever veg you have diced (mushrooms, corn, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach..), spices (cumin, cilantro, chili flakes) adding some water/stock, and cover till grain is cooked.

Let me know if you want some recipes for other things.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/portuguese-chourico-and-kale-soup-recipe/index.html

This recipe cost me all of about $6.00 to make and it's 10 servings at 230 calories per serving.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you tried couscous? It's very filling and tasty :) Also the Gorton's grille fish portions. Between 70 and 100 calories and easy to prepare. These and a salad make a pretty decent meal.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    canned tuna goes a long way.
    Keep an eye out for sales. Tuna usually goes on sale a lot during Lent.
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Brilliant ideas here guys thank you