when to weigh

Options
Hi,
Im half way through my 1st week of doing this "right"
Trouble is i didnt pay attention to the time of day i did my first jump on the scale, and i made a rookie error of putting the scales on a carpet which i have a feeling may have made me lighter!!

Ive tried really hard but i just did a sneaky midweek check in and ive put on 5lbs!!! in 3 days??!!

Would this be the carpet?

Thinking i may be better off cutting my loses and starting a "new week" tomorrow morning
Any ideas?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to put the scale on the carpet.

Your weight will fluctuate. Try weighing once a week, once every two weeks, etc. Pick a schedule and stick to it. Don't peek because you may affect your mindset and drive yourself crazy.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the carpet, but your weight can fluctuate five pounds during the course of the day. Any food, liquids and so on are going to add to your weight. I weigh myself once a week in the morning after I use the restroom and before I eat and drink anything. It gives me a more accurate estimate of my weight and eliminate water and food weight that way.
  • jaimeecc
    jaimeecc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the carpet theory, I always have my scales in the bathroom. I'm told the best time to weight is first thing in the morning, after you've been to the toilet and before you eat breakfast. My mother works in a hospital clinic for obese patients, and this is the advice they give. Also, always weigh yourself on the same set of scales as different scales may weigh you differently, so if you stick with the same set you'll have consistency.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It must be the carpet, that is a big difference. I have started weighing myself first thing in the morning after going to the restroom and before I eat anything. I have only been using myfitnesspal for about 2 weeks, I was using Loseit before I found this one. I am about 5 weeks in and have lost 6 pounds, I set my goal at 1 pound per week and boy do I have a long way to go!
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Options
    I think that exactly whats happened!
    made me want to give up a little, really wasnt expecting to see that much increase!

I think im just going to have to put it behind me and do sat morning each week
    (ill get the other half to hide the scales until then haha
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Also take your measurement, calves, thighs, lower hips, waist, chest, (under breasts, at biggest section of breasts, and above them) neck, and around biceps. I retake my measurements every month, it is really a much more accurate account of how much you are losing than the scale.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and measure once a month. Otherwise I drive myself crazy over the fluctuations and go all Rain Man calculating macros, TDEE, and meal plans until I explode. (that happens to me sometimes)
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Options
    oh, and they were living in the bathroom now, its just they were new, got the delivery, took them out the box and had a try. should have thought about it haha
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Options
    Also take your measurement, calves, thighs, lower hips, waist, chest, (under breasts, at biggest section of breasts, and above them) neck, and around biceps. I retake my measurements every month, it is really a much more accurate account of how much you are losing than the scale.

never took measurements before either!! oh i suck at this!!!

first thing in the morning ill start a new. measurements and weigh in!!

Thank you all
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Thank you all

Consider yourself lucky to get all this information just one week in :)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself on wednesdays just cuz its midway thru the week but sometimes depending on how my day is planned out it ends up being a day before or after that.
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Options

Thank you all

Consider yourself lucky to get all this information just one week in :)

Very true i guess :D

Any other MFP tips for dummies like myself?
  • bunterbirks
    Options
    Good advice to weigh first thing in the morning after a toilet visit. Don't forget to pay attention to the time of the month for us ladies, you can gain a good four lbs or so, so try no to be disheartened. Also if you weighed yourself first on a carpet then a solid floor you will defo get a weight difference. I have a certain spot i place my scales to make sure i get an accurate reading.. Stick to your plan and weigh in once a week at most and i'm sure you'll be ok. :smile:
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself same time, same day, ONCE a week, and take the weight with a grain of salt. DOESN'T MEAN MUCH! Your focus is to lose body fat. Weight can fluctuate 4-5 lbs in a day due to fluid retention and rapid weight loss (lose 5 lbs in one week?! it isn't body fat - UNLESS you ran a marathon 5 of those days) is all about fluid, NOT FAT LOSS! ~3500 kcals/lb of body fat is still a reality and it doesn't take a math wizard to know a 17500 calorie defecit in a week is unreal. Those diets that claim 5-10lbs lost in a week work by decreasing carb intake (sugars RETAIN body fluid just like salt) and the numbers aren't true FAT lose

A lot of newer scales can actually estimate body fat %, water %, muscle mass %, and bone mass % (I have one that cost $40). The weight is not my concern when I weigh in (once a week), the body fat % and muscle mass % are. The key is to decrease body fat and maintain muscle mass.

Don't fret about the scale, or get one that provides more valuable information. A lb or 2 gain means nothing if your body fat % decreased at the same time.
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Options
    thank you all!!
    Woke up in a good possitive mood about it all today!
    Took my weight, and meassurements and plan to start a new fitness plan and getting all the junk out of the house!
    Starting the way i should have 2 weeks ago haha!