Help w/ Daily Protien intake and Post workout meals

Options
hello
myfitnesspal is saying i need 90g of protien a day, i always eat more, around 120-130, since i workout 3-4 times a week and im tryna gain muscle.
my question is, that what if i hit high quantities of protein intake -way more than enough- before dinner, or before the post workout meal (i usually train at night)
for instance, today i reached 160grams of protien before the post workout meal..

i know that protein excess becomes fat, so should i eat anymore proteins in my post workout meal??

thank you

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump...i was trying to google the same question today...I workout at night and my protien is enough before workout...I decided that if it is i'll ditch the protien shake after i work out
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a magic protein window. There REALLY isn't. So if you have more than enough protein for the day, don't sweat it. And no more "excess" protein goes to fat, than excess any other calorie. It is all about excess calories in general going to fat. Eat enough protein, eat enough calories but not too many, and don't worry about the timing. Meal timing is one of the more ridiculous myths about all this that there is.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    mfp automatically puts your protein low. You can manually adjust it under your goals. I have mine set as 40%carb 30%protein and 30% fat
  • SultanAlush
    SultanAlush Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies
    so as i understand from your words, is that because 160 for the day is sufficient, i should add any proteins to my post workout meal?
    cuz i finished working out 40 minutes ago, still wondering should i cook this chicken breast in my fridge or not
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you are safe if you are are between 25-40% of your calorie expendenture.

I got this from a site:

As a general rule, between 10 percent and 15 percent of your total calories should come from protein. So, if you consume 2,000 calories per day, at least 200 should come from protein, or about 50 grams. You should try to eat around one gram of protein per one kilogram of body weight, or around 0.4 grams per pound. An easier way to figure this out in your head is to take your weight, divide it in half, and subtract 10. The total will be the number of grams of protein you should consume each day. So, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should eat about 50 grams of protein.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies
    so as i understand from your words, is that because 160 for the day is sufficient, i should add any proteins to my post workout meal?
    cuz i finished working out 40 minutes ago, still wondering should i cook this chicken breast in my fridge or not

Yes, if you already have 160 grams you have enough. If you still need more calories for the day and you merely want some more, feel free. But dont force feed it because you think there is some magic window.
  • RetroRob
    Options
    If your serious about weight training you can easily have 0.8 to 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight.

Another bonus of high protein diet is that your body burns more calories trying to digest protein than any other macro nutrient. Just be sure to get your protein from lean sources.
  • gingerygal
    gingerygal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The personal trainer I work with is all about protein. He suggests I basically eat my weight in protein. Ex: if you weigh 200 lbs, shoot for 200 grams per day. I usually eat 125-175 grams of protein per day.
  • Kashmir09
    Options
    errrrrm just popping in to say: excess protein over long periods of time is not good for your kidneys. You need a good percentage of carbs to break down your proteins. HTH
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Post workout nutrition is more for people who workout in a fasted state.I would shoot for a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MY 2 CENTS:

Get no less then your LBM (lean body mass) in protein DAILY, I range from my LBM to my body weight. And in regards to your comment of "excess protein turning into fat"... ANYTHING over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) will turn to fat, ANY macro nutrient.

So, if the energy isnt being used, its being stored. :wink:

ETA: post workout "meals" are more for fasted workouts... Post workout nutrition (ie protein shake) is important for muscle rebuilding.