Having a hard time staying full and within my calories

Options
This might sound like an obvious question but I have been seriously struggling since the holidays. So much so I have gained about 10 lbs and that was after new years. I know I see so many posts about not eating enough and not being able to meet your calorie limit. But I can't seem to ever eat under my calorie limit. And on the rare days that I do I feel so freakin hungry the next day or if I am staying up late at about 11 or 12. I know about protein and I normally get in enough. I eat my freggies and usually meet my fiber. I hate salads so please don't say have a salad for lunch lol. But I do love veggies. I see so many people on here burning over 600 cals a day and being able to eat 1400 that day. How are they not starving. I got this big because I love to cook and I love food. I love having a variety of foods to pick from and I know what is healthy and what is not. So I would love to hear some insight from you guys that are able eat at or just below your calorie limit? It might be as simple as just stop eating I suppose. But if you were over weight and lost a good amount of weight, that means before you were probably consuming a good amount of cals a day. So how did you make that mind shift? How are you not hungry or not give into cravings? Maybe I am just weak lol. My journal is open, please dont be too harsh :)

Replies

• cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Something that has been helping me is working down to a calorie limit, not going all at once.

I started with going from eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to following MFP's guidelines. It put me at 2280 calories. That was enough of a jump. Eventually I got use to eating what has a reduced amount of calories for me.

Recently, on the advice of my Doctor, I adjusted my goals to scale it back a bit more so now I shoot for 1800 a day. It certainly took a couple days of adjustment and there are still days when I've got that grumbly "I'm hungry" feeling in my tummy. But doing this in stages was easier than going from my unhealthy eating habits to lots less than I was use to eating.

Also I find that lots of water can help and high protein snacks. I easily get though 8 cups of water whether it be straight or as tea. For a snack I keep roasted chickpeas on hand. Lots of wonderful crunch and a tiny bit of them seem to go a long way. I can snack on a single measured serving of my chickpeas for hours verses other crunch snacks that I seem to fly through in minutes.

As for cravings, depending on what it is, it isn't such a bad idea to give in once in a while. A treat once in a while isn't so bad. Just always try to do your best and get as close as you can. Everyday is a new day so don't let days in the past ruin a bight outlook for the next one.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Cleomouri's staging and advice on water and protein worked for me, too. I also give my self a range; anything below X is a good day. That allows for hungry days or margins of error. Sometimes it means going to bed felling a bit nibblly, but there you go. If I am starving, I eat, but try ti eat well! Don't be afraid to adjut here and there - you will get this; so much is about finding balance. Good luck!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days of your diary...and I'm sure this isn't news to you, but too many carbs, too much sugar, too much sodium. The way people eat under their calories and feel full is to cut out processed foods, stay away from sugary treats (which just makes you crave more sugar) and watch their sodium so they don't bloat.

I started at about the same weight as you and want to end at about the same. I follow my calories most of the time (between 1300 and 1500 a day), and to be honest I'm low-grade hungry most of the time. For me it just comes down to a choice. I figure it'll take about 18 months to lose 84 lbs and those 18 months are gonna come and go no matter what. Would I rather be healthy and a size that I'm happy with in 18 months, or the same size or even bigger than I am now? If it's choice #1, I'm going to have to put up with some discomfort in the form of calorie restriction and exercise. If it's more important to me to eat whatever I want and in whatever quantities I desire and also avoid hard exercise, then I'll have to accept being fat and everything that goes with it. I know I can't have it both ways.

If you love to cook and love veggies, you should be able to find tasty recipes for veggie-based meals. Step away from the cookies, ice cream, and starchy carbs because they're sort of self-perpetuating. You eat some and they just make you want more.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You seem to eat a lot of processed foods that are high in sodium and don't drink much water (sometimes not even 8 cups/day). Unless you're drinking way more water than you're indicating, you're probably thirsty. It's pretty easy to confuse thirst with hunger. I know one of the best things I did for my general health was to increase my water intake and watch the convenience foods. I suggest looking at the sodium content of some of your packaged foods/sauces and finding healthier replacements. Stir fry veggies in a little healthy oil/low sodium soy sauce, bake a potato instead of using the pre-seasoned potato wedges, buy plain rice and season it yourself.

You don't have to eat salads, but you may also want to take a look at the refined carbs you're eating with every meal. I know these tend to increase my sugar cravings. Switch to whole grain if you can. It keeps you full longer.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You seem to be barely meeting MFP suggestions for protein and fiber, and those are pretty low by a lot of standards. That is, the protein is enough for your nutrient needs, if you aren't doing any strength training, but not enough to claim to be using protein to help you feel full.

For the fiber, it is debatable whether the MFP standards even meet nutritional needs.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and you're drinking a lot of calories which would leave me hungry. What's up with the slim fast powder & bars? I'd try to ease away from those. I do keep fiber/protein bars in my cabinet at work for when I'm dying for a snack before lunch, but I try to buy the ones with the east amount of sugar and not eat one every day.
    Once I get started with sweets, like the week of Valentines Day, it's an unfortunate free-for-all.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Your diet is appallingly bad. Agree with others -- too many refined, processed carbs. Anyone would be starving on your intake!!!
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    changing the way you eat is difficult i know that all to well but when you begin to notice the small changes it makes it all worth it. took a look at your diary and i agree with what the others say there is a lot of processed foods most of that will only make you want more also i would try to drink more water

i always keep raw veggies and fruit around for when am really hungry but i know that i have already eaten good luck to you in your journey it's not easy but it can be done :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just want to clarify: weight loss is mostly about the calories themselves. Feeling full is about a proper mix of fiber, fats and proteins. Avoiding cravings is about getting proper nutrients into your body.

So, while it is possible to lose weight on your current diet, you will be a whole lot happier if you take steps to incorporate some of the suggestions in these posts.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments. You're hungry because your body is telling you it needs nutrients. You don't need to eat/drink "diet foods" to lose weight. People have this idea that losing weight means deprivation and suffering. You can actually be quite comfortable at 1400 calories. If you make better food choices you'll feel so much better. Eat real, whole foods with plenty of protein, no junky drinks, and drink a lot of water.
  • ChantiC
    ChantiC Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input:) I do appreciate it and myself being a rather blunt lady, I do like the honest feedback. You are all right about the processed foods for sure. I guess I didnt think I was eating that many. I also work at M&M Meat Shops, if you google it, its a place where you get meat and well everything frozen and its pretty high salt. But some weeks its cheaper for me to shop there for meat than grocery store because of my discount. I am normally not big into slimfast, thats why I added the fruit to make it more fiber filled. But today and yesterday I needed something quick to take with me. But yes I would much rather real food over that lol. Will take your ideas into consideration and thanks for taking the time to help me out :)
  • sanjdee3
    sanjdee3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with what all the others say - my advice to you would be try to find a few low calorie, high nutrient content meal that you could repeat a few times a week. I used to like a lot of variety but relieze I can still get variety in my dinners, while I eat a roasted chicken breast quarter and beans most days for lunch. When I'm bored of that i'll get roasted veggies or a side salad instead of beans.

The biggest point is to start eating more unprocessed food, you'll feel more satisfied and fuller longer. I still have my days where I want to keep munching, I will often make stovetop popcorn, its yummy too!, or have a small chocolate. Then a big big glass of water. Water is also key. Also when you're craving something it's usually because you're too focused on not being able to have it. Try distracting yourself with a hobby or book. I read a lot on nutrition in my spare time. I'm still trying to "get it" but the click hasn't happened yet.
    Good luck, feel free to friend me, I log everyday.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, you need to stop drinking your calories and re think what you're eating. Most days I eat under my goal (1400 cal/140 carbs) and I am NOT hungry
    I am older than you, started out heavier than you and have had weight issues all my life, been on WW more times than I can count and always yo yo'ed back and then some. I refuse to do that this time.
    I will admit, it's NOT easy, we didn't gain overnite and it's not going to fall off overnite. At least you like to cook & like veggies, lol, you're two up on me.
    Check out some other food diaries to see how others who are eating less cals/carbs/fats plan their days meals, might give you some ideas.
    I do eat some "diet" foods as well as fast & restaurant food and am able to work what I enjoy into my daily plan, without going over and without feeling deprived or hungry.
    I wish you the best on this journey, don't give up, just re-focus on what you're eating and adjust your food stats.
  • CancunJulie
    CancunJulie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of the Hungry Girl cookbook. A lot of great ideas for low cal meals or snacks for every craving. items are easy to make, but you have to make them which gives you the chance to think it through. Do not buy the quick foods and have them on hand, too convient.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You are very close to your goal each day. It seems like you have one item a day that pushes you over. Its good to treat yourself but not daily. One day you had a coke instead of a diet coke,and you were only missing it by around 100 cal, a coke is 140 cal. Another day you had a cookie, you missed it by around 200 and the cookie was 240. Another day you had low fat banana bread that was nearly 400 cal and a whooping 84 carbs. Just avoid that one bad item a day and you have this.