How to know how many calories to eat and net calories?

Options
Okay I don't want to confuse myself...So When i put in all my info it has my goal at 1300 calories. I am currently 5'7 and 173lbs, working out 6 days a week for 30 minutes (Jillian Michaels body revolution). Is that too low??... her program calls for 1200 calories but I just cannot eat that little. And what does the net calories mean? I logged all my food for the day... and logged my workout (which may or may not be accurate) and I still have some calories left for the day, but I have ate over 1300 calories...Is this right?? my net calories is only like 1178??

Replies

• ell5bell5
    ell5bell5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1300 that's what you should be netting . it does sound a bit low though.

Read the in place of a roadmap thread . Look up your BMR and TDEE you want to be somewhere in the middle of the two numbers :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • woahohjme
    Options
    ive been reading that you should eat back your exercise calories... is that true?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    ive been reading that you should eat back your exercise calories... is that true?

You're going to get a flurry of wildly different opinion here, but I eat mine (unless I'm just not hungry-which has happened I think twice in 15 months). If you're concerned about the accuracy of the calories burned that mfp have you when you logged your exercise, eat as much of them as you think is reasonable. You'll find a balance. Eat enough that you're not starving yourself and not getting cranky and tired and unable to do your workouts. Or eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining.
  • woahohjme
    Options
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if I should be eating them back or not..But I was starving! so I had yogurt and an apple and I think I'm good now! Thanks for the advice:)
  • boomerz12
    Options
    So if you're thing says
    goal-1510 food- 1079 exercise- -93 net- 986
    Does your net need to be the same as goal?
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    Yes - your net should equal your goal by the end of the day. My net is 1,400. I eat back all my exercise calories. So, on a day where I don't exercise, I eat just 1,400 and net 1,400. On a day when I do, I eat anywhere from 1,650 to 1,900 depending on what I'm doing at the gym that day. One those days, I still try to net 1,400.
  • boomerz12
    Options
    Huh. I'm glad I know this now. I always just thought to stay at the goal and not worry bout anything else cause I don't eat back my exercise cals. I've been going to bed hungry for nothing/:
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Okay so how do you calculate you calories burned during workouts? I do a boot camp type class early in the mornings and not sure how to put it in. Since I am out of breath most the class I count it as aerobics. MFP says I burn 500 calories in an hour. it seems high to me though.