Some support for "don't eat at night"?

Options
13»

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'll be back tomorrow... want to read that study when I have some time at work. Also, one study doesn't prove or disprove anything.

I agree 100%.

But to discount any research that acts against one's belief, is just as sloppy thinking as clinging to beliefs that are unproven or disproved.

If my beliefs produce results, then studies mean nothing to me:smile:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many humans follow their circadian rhythms?
    I'd say most, unless I'm mistaken on what a circadian rhythm is.

You may likely be somewhat mistaken. Circadian rhythm is largely motivated by light. Most of us do not wake and sleep according to light. We do it according to clocks and work schedules.

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Education/Factsheet_CircadianRhythms.htm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'll be back tomorrow... want to read that study when I have some time at work. Also, one study doesn't prove or disprove anything.

I agree 100%.

But to discount any research that acts against one's belief, is just as sloppy thinking as clinging to beliefs that are unproven or disproved.

If my beliefs produce results, then studies mean nothing to me:smile:

And what about other "beliefs" that produce results?
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You may likely be somewhat mistaken. Circadian rhythm is largely motivated by light. Most of us do not wake and sleep according to light. We do it according to clocks and work schedules.

And most people work by day and sleep by night--because that's what everyone ELSE does so that's when we're needed to work--which suggests that we are basically ruled by circadian rhythms. In my view, anyway. :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

And most people work by day and sleep by night--because that's what everyone ELSE does so that's when we're needed to work--which suggests that we are basically ruled by circadian rhythms. In my view, anyway. :)

Did you read the link? It talks about depression, SAD and other health issues caused by not following the natural sleep cycle. I wake up and go to work according to the schedule of people in the time zone three hours ahead of myself. It isn't based upon the cycle of the sun where I live, but where other people live.
  • amilypic
    Options
    then youd better stop wearing makeup and taking any medications ever.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am steadfast about not eating while I'm asleep.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Glucose turns to fat when it is not used. If you are running around you use more of it. If you sleep you burn much less. But time of day is not the key here. If you eat it at 4 pm and park yourself on the couch - same result as at 10 pm - unused glucose stores as fat...
    No.

In a caloric deficit, nothing is stored as fat.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Did you read the link? It talks about depression, SAD and other health issues caused by not following the natural sleep cycle. I wake up and go to work according to the schedule of people in the time zone three hours ahead of myself. It isn't based upon the cycle of the sun where I live, but where other people live.
    Yes, I read it... And what you've said pretty much proves my point. Most people do not suffer from SAD, depression, or--unlike you--work outside of their own time zone.

I'm also an exception to the majority... I have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, which means that--left to my own devices--I am an extreme night owl. The rest of the world doesn't work that way though, overall, so I have to make an effort to work with in their rules.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist's meal plan included a bedtime snack (to be eaten within 30 minutes of going to bed) that included 15g carbs and at least 5g protein which she said helped maintain blood sugar levels overnight.

I came across a compelling book today, Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective 3-Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory by Neal Barnard.

"Protein blocks serotonin production in your brain, while carbohydrate has the opposite effect, helping you make serotonin. That's important, because serotonin helps you sleep."
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference when it comes to body composition
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    It's funny because I lost most of my weight eating 80% of my calories after like 7:00 pm. Seriously, just worry about your caloric intake and your body will do the rest.