Calories Consumption enough?

Options
I've searched and searched and I know this subjects really erks people... But im going to bring it up anyways.

I, like many of you are after weight loose and the road the a healthier lifestyle. Im 24 and a a college student, so aside from walking around campus my activity level is low. I've selected "light activity". Aside from that, I spend about 2 hours in the gym daily doing a combination of weight training, abs, and cardio (elliptical).

My first question, is the "light activity" the right section for my activity since I spend so much time in the gym? It has given me the goal of 1470 NET calories daily.

As many others i've completely changed the types of food I put in my body along with the amount of time I spend at the gym.

I find myself falling low on calories sometimes and deff don't want to put my body into starvation mode. Im looking for results, but also loosing weight in both a healthy and effective way.

Some suggest I may loose more weight by eating more but I'd hate to force myself to eat knowing I work so hard just to have it eat away at results or potential weight loss. Due to my lack of calories at times I've been having spoon fulls of peanut butter or hand full of raw almonds periodically though the day to keep calorie intake up.

I eat every two hours and find myself content with my calorie intake throughout the day and in the evening before I go to bed. In other words, I don't feel like I am malnourished or starving myself.

I guess my finial question would be.... Do you think I would benefit from a health and weight loss standpoint by consuming more calories on a daily basis?

My dairy is open, thanks in advanced.

Replies

• fearmywrx
    Options
    anyone?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    two hours would translate into about two work outs per week and I believe that they define two workous per week as light, so that sounds right.

why don't you work out more?

You could build a program around deadlifts, bench press, squat, over head press, chin up/pull up, etc and do three total body work outs per week with some cardio mixed in .....

your calorie intake seems fine for your activity level...did you deduct 20% from your tdee or are you just eating at maintenance?
  • fearmywrx
    Options
    I think you misread, I work out 2 hours per day between weight lifting and and cardio.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think you misread, I work out 2 hours per day between weight lifting and and cardio.

oh my bad bro ...

if you are working out two hours a day, every day ..then you should of calculated your TDEE at very active..and then deduct 20% of you want to be in a deficit..
  • fearmywrx
    Options
    My TDEE = 3429 * (1-.2) = 2743

So I should be shooting for around 2500-2700 calories and dont' add cardio into my diary.

Seems like I need be be eating about 1000 more calories a day? Thats going to accelerate weight loss? Im having a difficult enough time eating calories as is. I feel like I have to stuff my self.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you and I don't understand any of this - I search BMR and get a different figure everywhere - ranging from 1500 up to 2400...

I don't understand the tdee...or the net for that matter... though that I am starting to kinda comprehend - I know I was not eating enough and it was saying starvation mode and I wasn't loosing so I had to remember to add carbs (solid ones not refined) into my meals and that helped... like quinoa, sweet potatoes oatmeal, occasional whole wheat pasta which is all stuff I actually do NOT care for... but it adds calories I need to burn. I've just switched my work out routine by advice of a trainer at my gym who is just trying to help me because I can't afford him right now...

So if you figure it out - let me know!!
  • fearmywrx
    Options
    I understand the whole net calories thing.... But for someone who is supposedly under on their calories, whats the point of going to the gym and working my *kitten* of just so I have to eat more? I can see where it would come in handy if Im eating large 800 calorie means but I often eat/snack on things 150-400 calories a day

On just raw calorie intake alone. I've been eating about 1500 a day in which im getting my 100grams of proteins and other dietary needs.

Im just curious if I would benefit (weight loss wise) by eating more?
  • willieswenson
    Options
    I wouldn't really recomennd going that low in calories. You want to keep your total deficit at around 500 calories a day. I might shoot for 2200-2400 calories a day or so. Shredding too much weight too quick can shred alot of lean mass. You should lift to maintain muscle mass, so you can cut out cardio if you don't want to eat back your calories. Make sure you're getting enough fat intake too. Cutting out fats will keep your body in fat storage mode from a whole list of hormonal reasons. If you are feeling good and losing weight at a decent rate, while keeping strength and looking good, eat how ever much works for you. It's all trial and error. Experiment and see how well things work for you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am a chick -- 5'3, I weigh 145-150, I do circuit training (yay Jillian Michael's) 5 days a week. I net like 1,500-1,600 each day if I am trying to lose (at half pound a week). If I am not trying lose, I net 1,900 -2,100. Based on that alone, I would think you'd want to eat more.

I think you have to be thinking long term and what is sustainable for you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My TDEE = 3429 * (1-.2) = 2743

So I should be shooting for around 2500-2700 calories and dont' add cardio into my diary.

Seems like I need be be eating about 1000 more calories a day? Thats going to accelerate weight loss? Im having a difficult enough time eating calories as is. I feel like I have to stuff my self.

if you are working out seven days a week for two hours a day you are probably over training ...

you might want to scale back to like five days a week with two rest days...?
  • fearmywrx
    Options
    Im glad you said something. I know I probably need to slow it down a little. I've just been in the zone working very hard for results. My strength training is going great and im making great progress in the short time i've been lifting. My lifting results couldn't be better.

Though I've lost initial weight, Im trying to focus on loosing fat on my gut and finding the appropriate calorie intake / gym time to do so.