20 Years Old With Hypothyroidism

Options
Just recently this week I had blood work done and my TSH levels desperately need assistance from medication. It is hereditary and was bound to happen sooner than later.

When I was in high school I was taking the Depo Provera birth control shot that caused me to slowly gain weight, along with bad eating habits. When I first joined MFP last year I got down to a weight that is lower than my current goal weight (small steps). I maintained that weight for a few months but gained 20 pounds before I knew what was happening.

Now that I am trying to lose this weight, I am getting incredibly discouraged at the difficulty. I understand losing weight is not easy, I have done this before. But I have only lost 8 pounds in 4 months. I am VERY good about logging and exercise as much as my diminished energy levels will allow me to. I do not have very much to lose and have a fairly active job so I average at about 1700 calories per day.

Anyway, my question is to those with hypothyroid issues. From your experience, how helpful is medication and how long to feel normal again?
I have been on google to find answers but I really would like to hear from real people that are going through this.

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I can't help with your question unfortunately, but I do believe there is an active group on this site dedicated to hypothyroidism.

Click the groups tab and search for it, im pretty sure its one of the bigger groups. Goodluck!
  • augustawhysee
    Options
    My mom has hypothyroidism - the medication is incredible. Seriously, you will feel a whole world better in the first month! Best of luck to you.
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was born without a thyroid gland, and thus my thyroid demands need to be met by medication, so I cant help with the first part of your question.

However, when my medication hasnt been right, I've always found that when I've been hypothyroid, it takes maybe a couple of days for me to feel immediately better, even if just a little, after upping my dose. Its probably 2 weeks maybe for the full effects to be seen. If I'm hyper on the other hand (which I hate!!), my dose has to be dropped, and I dont feel better for at least a week.

But it depends on how hypo I was - when I was a teenager I was crap with taking my medication. I would sometimes forget for a week (even with reminders), and it was only when I got bad headaches that I would remember, and get back on it. When I did, the headaches would disappear within a couple of hours, and Id be feeling much, much better over the next day.

Id pop over to the group on hypothyroidism though - there are heaps of helpful threads in there :)
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 16. I'd say within a few weeks I started to feel better, and have more energy. Its all about maintenance though, you need to keep up with your thyroid, have it checked regularly, and as you lose or gain weight also have it rechecked. They lowered my dosage after I lost a bit of weight. I'm not sure if its 100% connected.

Otherwise, once you get your meds in order, your life should be a 'normal' one, sans taking that pill every morning.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'm also 20 with hypothyroidism. I'm not on the medication though.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is useless, so I'm on levothyroxine (generic synthroid). The dosage is very directly based on weight, so as you gain/lose (or, hopefully for most people on here, just lose), you want to have your dosage adjusted. Too little and you'll be tired, lethargic, and have no energy (and likely gain weight), too much causes a variety of heart issues (and noone wants that). When I was first diagnosed, it took me about 2 weeks to regain energy, etc (the medication needs time to work its way into your system, 2 weeks is pretty average). It made a huge difference. It sucks, but keeping on top of it will make your life easier/better.
  • RafiaK
    Options
    I was diagnosed about six months ago and it was hereditary as well. The medication made a HUGE difference (in a positive way). It took me about a month to adjust to it., but I felt MUCH better taking it. I had more energy and I was sleeping better. It didn't help me lose any of the weight that I had gained, but it did stop me from gaining weight so easily. It also improved my mood, I was really anxious before I had been diagnosed (which is a symptom when left untreated). Just keep taking your medication and you will be fine. Just don't eat too much grapefruit (I know WEIRD), but it can disrupt the effectiveness of the medication. I am 23, so not too far from your age and I was 22 when I was diagnosed. Hope this helps!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm hypothyroid, and it's TSH thats the issue for me - and the medication is everything. it normalises your thyroid so the 'thyroid dramas' are way less. I also eat seaweed and coconut oil, which helps too. add me if you like, i'm losing successfully with hypothryoid and have been through and beaten most of the nastier parts of the condition at least once xx
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This all makes me feel much more positive about this. The difficulty I have losing weight is hard to deal with, but I am having a really hard time with the lack of energy. To even function I literally come home from work (3pm-12am) do laundry or eat something and then sleep until 1pm. Any less sleep and I am more than miserable.
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This all makes me feel much more positive about this. The difficulty I have losing weight is hard to deal with, but I am having a really hard time with the lack of energy. To even function I literally come home from work (3pm-12am) do laundry or eat something and then sleep until 1pm. Any less sleep and I am more than miserable.

Thats how I feel when Im hypo or hyper - I just sleep tonnes, but wake up still feeling exhausted. It will get better on medication - you just need to give it time to kick in. Hope it works out for you!!