Hangover days!

Options
I was always a lightweight but now I've started eating much less, exercising more and drinking a lot more water I find that I cannot hold my alcohol at all. I end up with the worst hangovers ever!

Now while I know the easy solution would be to stop drinking so much I am determined to make the most of my last month at uni so that isnt an option just yet! So what I really need help with is some suggestions on how to cheat my way out of that awful hungover feeling without resulting to the fail-safes of junk food! Especially as I am likely to spend the entire day in bed with no opportunity to offset any extra calories with exercise.

Haha - you know life is good when these are your problems!

Chloe.xx

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    My hangover cure food used to be a ham sandwich. It was hearty enough to fill me up, but not in a way that hurt my stomach at all. That's way better than eating a cheeseburger or pizza!
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    As a heavy drinker, my only hope of no hangover is to drink a tremendous amount of water before bed and anytime I get up during the night. No food or pills can make it go away, but water flushes the system quickly.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Drink TONS of water before going out, and 2 pints before you go to bed. Being that it's the last month of school, I don't want to assume that you'll always be laying your head down on your own pillow to sleep, but if you do, put 2 bottles of water by your bed before you even go out so if you're really trashed, you won't even have to get up to get them.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Eat something just before you start drinking. That will help the alcohol adsorb a bit slower instead of all at once. Try at dink some water while you are at the party. Just before you go to bed/ pass out drink a glass of water. Your body best absorbs water at night. That should help!

Oh, taking some aspirin or tylenol before you pass out wouldn't hurt either. Helps to get a head start on the hangover. When you do get a hangover. Try drinking lemonaid. The lemon juice is very cleansing and will help hydrate you.
  • saraketner
    saraketner Posts: 53
    Options
    My tried and true hangover breakfast is an egg sandwich. whatever type of egg you like, on whole grain toast with a little cheese..yum! It fills me up and isn't awful diet-wise.
    Pair it with some strong coffee and a couple advil and you'll be good to go!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I try to alternate my drinks with water, or I just drink vodka and waters all night. It helps me not drink quite as much, and keeps me hydrated so I don't spend the next day cursing the night before.
  • Briannah
    Briannah Posts: 50
    Options
    its not good for calorie count but it has proven to lessen the effects of a hangover ! Gatorade :)
  • ldowifey
    ldowifey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take a tylenol before you go to bed after drinking!! Works wonders!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I was having kidney failure so my doctor said to not take advil UNLESS I was drinking, then I should take advil instead of Tylenol because tylenol is processed in the liver and the liver is already working overtime on all the alcohol so taking it can actually make things worse.

I have found that if I eat something like a toasted bagel and drink 2 glasses of water and take ADVIL before going to bed things go much better in the morning. And I don't know about you, but if I drink wine it doesn't matter what I do, I will feel sick to my stomach so I stay away from it.

Oh, and a friend recently suggested taking 'Emergen-C' before going to bed... I don't have a lot of data to back it up, but he swears by it and the one night a friend and I took it after a serious night out and we both felt fine the next day

(No worries, kidney failure was a temporary thing... all better now)
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    For every drink, I drink an equal amount of water. Alcohol can dehydrate the body, so your best bet is to keep it hydrated. I have not had a hangover in over 10 years, so I must be doing something right! lol
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Don't drink on an empty stomach. Drink gatorade before you go to bed & when you wake up.
  • tal202
    tal202 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would always opt for the wholemeal toast, scrambled eggs (made with 0% fat milk) and a little grating of low fat cheese. And often a glass of milk too. I can never stomach water after a night out, it just makes me queasy, but Ribena always seems to helo (low cal' of course). Howver, I would always recommend eating carbs of some sort before bed, often a slice of toast or a bagel will do me.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i don't want to promote pills but i always make sure to drink 2 glasses of water with 2 advil before i go to bed.

for food...

i have to eat in shifts when i'm hungover. i really can't have more than 3 bites of food at a time..haha :laugh:

i usually have 2 pcs bacon, 2 eggs and 1 pc wheat toast <-- which really isn't all that bad cause you figure i usually don't wake up til noon and it ends up being my only meal for the day...oh and Coffee... :) you need caffeine to open up those synapses in your brain again after all that alcohol :sick:

i just realized this makes me sound sad...