shirataki noodles?

ive been looking at alternatives for my good old spaghetti cravings and have come across these things a lot. i had never heard of them previous and was wondering if anyone has tried them? are they good? i read that some of them come precooked and are in the cold stuff by tofu which kind of freaks me out. i'd rather cook it myself =/
thoughts?

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    hi there
    I like them myself, in fact I had them today for lunch !

They will stink all fishy when you pour them out of the bag, so rinse really well under running water for a few minuttes

then I dry fry mine until they sorta squeak when you move them

I had mine in a stiry fry today. I don't care that they have no nutritional value. they are low in everything else and I have them with a bunch of vegies and some chicken. ( which I haven't added to my diary but will do when I get home)

I think shirataki noodles are the kind of thing you love or hate
    There are alot of recipes here so I suggest trying a board search. I want to try them in a chicken noodle soup !
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    I think they are absolutely gross... tried a couple different recipes and could not stomach them... it is a texture thing for me... I will just stick with the whole grain pasta or spaghetti squash if really watching carbs.
  • susannegreen
    susannegreen Posts: 48 Member
    I think they are disgusting, but I have found that most people either love or hate them. You should just try them, they are fairly inexpensive.
  • Ugh, they were the worst thing ever in my opinion. It was like chewing rubberbands.
  • You must rinse them well to remove the odor before you use them.

I made phad thai (home made ing. not prepackaged) and are perfect
    Also made a mac n cheese from skinny girl

They don't work so well for me with tomato sauce. Good luck!
  • where would i go about finding them to try? somewhere online it said walmart doesn't carry them and unfortunately that's where i end up doing most of my grocery shopping as they have everything i need..
  • I found them at Wegman's and at the Whole Foods Co-Op where I am from
  • I like them. They're definitely stinky. They are love or hate. I use them when I've had enough calories for the day but just want to eat....they are basically calorie free. I like the texture of kelp noodles better tho, they're like cellophane noodles when you let them soak in whatever sauce you are putting them in.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    I use them, and I like them. My wife does not.

Everyone who comments on the the "fishy smell" is right, they do smell a bit odd before you heat and dry them. *shrug* Who cares, I get spaghetti again!

They taste best with a good sauce with a rich flavor...they are kind of a blank canvas, so they will take on whatever taste you add to them.

20 calories per server? Jesus, can you beat that? The only thing that even comes close is spaghetti squash.

$2.49 for a two-serving bag, here in Maine.

I find them in the produce section, in the same cooler with baby carrots and the like, where other tofu products are.

All you can do is try them.

I do STRONGLY recommend the thinner versions, like a spaghetti style. NOT the elbow noodles or something thicker like that. Mixes in with the flavors of your sauces better. Thicker ones, yes, kinda like chewing rubber bands. Stick with the smaller noodles!

My suggestions, anyway!

-BootJockey

If you're tired of starting over...
    STOP GIVING UP!!!

-Do It Now!
  • Hi, for the fish smell when opening the package, I rinse very well and sometimes boil for about one minute. That eliminates the smell, then I add the Miracle Noodles, the brand I like, to soups and stir frys especially. I have tried the "dry roasting" method which also helps with the small and the texture. I like Miracle Noodle esp. because they hare zero calorie and zero carb and no soy/tofu which I prefer. If you check their facebook page, www.facebook.com/MiracleNoodle, you can find amazing recipes, fast, international, delicious and very nutritious. I find it is worth the smell in the beginning to be able to stay healthy, watch my weight AND enjoy my pasta..
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    ive been looking at alternatives for my good old spaghetti cravings and have come across these things a lot. i had never heard of them previous and was wondering if anyone has tried them? are they good? i read that some of them come precooked and are in the cold stuff by tofu which kind of freaks me out. i'd rather cook it myself =/
    thoughts?

Tip for these - wash them well. Many people neglect to do this and find them disgusting. If you wash them, pat them dry, wash them again and pat them dry again you will find they have very little flavour however add bulk to stir fries etc and act as a reasonable replacement for noodles. I would not use them in place of spaghetti. Try them in a stir fry, that's where they work best.
  • I guess they would be an aquired taste. but I like them, and I like them even more because I can have a whole bag for only 40 calories. I saute a bunch of veggies and splash some balsamic on it - which makes my meal (a big bowl ful) 100 calories, give or take.

To me they smell like bad mushrooms, but after I rinse them for about 5 mn under warm water, theres only a hint of smell and absolutely no bad taste...While they are rinsing, it wouldn't hurt to cut them a few times, I cut an "X", it makes it a lot easier to eat that way.

Edited to add - They are kinda like spaghetti squash, and somewhat similar texture
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I like them, though I don't eat them often. You can find them in most Asian food stores. Some are made from tofu and will have more calories (but are still ridiculously low) than the yam noodle type.
    They will do hardly anything for you on a nutrition-wise, but they are a good 'filler' if you are craving noodles or just want something low cal to accompany your vegetables and proteins. I think they are worth trying!
  • susannegreen
    susannegreen Posts: 48 Member
    where would i go about finding them to try? somewhere online it said walmart doesn't carry them and unfortunately that's where i end up doing most of my grocery shopping as they have everything i need..

I know they have them at whole foods and earthfare. Any "health food" store should have them.