Lifting weights

Options
While doing strength training like Biceps and Triceps I can feel the burn. My question is am I supposed to feel pumped up and kinda sore afterwards for a while for the workout to be effective? By the time I leave the gym it all goes away lol. Am I doing something wrong? Help?

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not an indication of an effective workout. I rarely feel anything unless I am actively working out. And I am getting results. know there are other people around here that feel the same too.
  • savbentley
    Options
    Soreness is not an indication of an effective workout. I rarely feel anything unless I am actively working out. And I am getting results. know there are other people around here that feel the same too.

^ that

I did leg day today, basically had to crawl out of the gym, and by the time I got to my car I was fine.
  • willieswenson
    Options
    The bump and burn you feel while exercising is the flow of blood to the working muscle group. Your body is sending glycogen, (stored sugar) to your muscle to fuel the contraction and the tightness can also be a build up of lactic acid (what is left after the certain contractions/exercises) and will typically flush it out within an hour after working out. Neither a pump or delayed onset muscle soreness (days after) are indicators of the quality of a workout. Lifting fatigues the nervous system as well as the muscles and you do not have to train to failure or burn to induce muscle growth, but tax it enough to break down the fibers. Soreness after indicates your body has done something it has never done before. For example, if I jumped rope for an hour, it wouldn't stimulate calf growth, but it would leave my calves sore for dayyyysss.

Bottom line
    You don't need alot of pain or tightness or soreness to have a good workout.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You'll find that some muscles are more prone to soreness than others. My legs and chest often get really sore. Arms and back very very rarely every feel sore.