Quad muscles

Options
I need help! I run 30 minutes a few times a week and do inner and outer thigh pilates and for the glutes too, i specifically do not do quad exercises because I have naturally huge muscular quads which make my thighs look huge. I want to diminish them and i do not know how. It looks like even while doing exercises that do not involve strengthening quads, they still get bigger and stronger. Ive lost fat on my thighs which made them smaller but the muscle is still making my thighs look huge. What can i do besides starve myself to remove/diminish that muscle?

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to make your legs weaker? Be proud, show them off, keep them strong and healthy!
  • iwannabeskinny0
    Options
    Lol thats an option too, theyre just not proportional to the rest of my small body and i wish they were
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Pictures? lol Kidding. You can certainly try and avoid any heavy lower body workouts so you don't build any more muscle, but "Starving" yourself is not a good idea, and will have a negative impact in other areas.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you do longer runs more often your body will probably lean down your legs. Short 30 minute cardio workouts are just long enough to burn fat without really touching muscle development so that's the perfect amount of time for me to do cardio in the morning. I think you'll have to do slightly longer cardio times to convince your body to drop muscle size in your legs.

I've never see a long distance runner with huge quads. Go look at images of short distance runners vs. long distance runners.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If your leg muscles seem disproportional, you could always work on making the rest of your body more muscular.
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I need help! I run 30 minutes a few times a week and do inner and outer thigh pilates and for the glutes too, i specifically do not do quad exercises because I have naturally huge muscular quads which make my thighs look huge. I want to diminish them and i do not know how. It looks like even while doing exercises that do not involve strengthening quads, they still get bigger and stronger. Ive lost fat on my thighs which made them smaller but the muscle is still making my thighs look huge. What can i do besides starve myself to remove/diminish that muscle?

when working out your legs use very light weight to just body weight with higher reps.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing they aren't anywhere near as large as the OP thinks they are. Sounds more like a body dysmorphia issue.
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Light weights.....high reps..... However, sometimes genetics plays a part and you can't do much about it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg

Light weights will not make muscles smaller. The only thing that will make leg muscles smaller is to break both legs, immobilize them in casts, and get around in a wheel chair for a few months.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Light weights will not make muscles smaller. The only thing that will make leg muscles smaller is to break both legs, immobilize them in casts, and get around in a wheel chair for a few months.

this.
    chances are most guys are going to find your legs attractive.
    lean and muscular legs look great.
    be proud
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

this.
    chances are most guys are going to find your legs attractive.
    lean and muscular legs look great.
    be proud

Well. Maybe she wants to look good to her own standards, and isn't worried about other people's.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Short of stopping exercise and going into a ridiculous calorie deficit to help induce muscle atrophy you're probably not going to reduce the size of your quads. The best thing would be to eat a slight calorie deficit, do some heavier squatting, like 2 to 3 reps, and work towards some body re-composition. At least your running will benefit from increased quad strength. Also, make sure you're getting some good hamstring work as well. Romanian Deadlifts on their own are very solid hamstring exercises or you could even superset RDL's with high-rep leg curls. It's possible, that you notice your quads so much because there's a slight muscle imbalance between the quads and hamstrings. It's not entirely that uncommon because so many leg exercises, especially if you run at an incline, are quad dominant in nature.
  • iwannabeskinny0
    Options
    Ok thanks guys. Ya i know that running longer distances makes the muscle slimmer so maybe ill work with running longer. Its not body dysmorphia, its genetic, my family is muscular in the leg area, i was good at sprints in highschool because of it. They got alot smaller (im in university now) but theyre still pretty big. Im in biology but everything ive learnes about making them smaller has actually not worked, so ill try running long distance and see what happpens
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would agree, extended cardio sessions tends to eat muscle so running for long distances will probably chew up those legs.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Im in biology but everything ive learnes about making them smaller has actually not worked

So how about ACCEPTING them and LEARNING TO LOVE your body? Just a suggestion. Work with your body, not against it.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Im in biology but everything ive learnes about making them smaller has actually not worked

So how about ACCEPTING them and LEARNING TO LOVE your body? Just a suggestion. Work with your body, not against it.

I can't say that I disagree with that statement. Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, we all have physical aspects of our body that you can't change without major surgery. Your family traditionally has big quads and you're a good sprinter which also means you likely have a strong cross-section of Fast-Twitch muscle fibers. There are certain things you can't change. :)
  • danielbradford
    Options

You're on a goddamn website designed to help you working against your body. Hypocrite.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You're on a goddamn website designed to help you working against your body. Hypocrite.

You totally misunderstood my point but its ok, lets move on. Have a nice weekend!