scared..increased my calories. Anyone done this?

Options
gpies
gpies Posts: 56 Member
Ok, so I've posted about being on here for MONTHS, without basically losing ANYTHING. So frustrating I can't stand it. So I decided to up my cals from 1200 to 1500 to see what happens. I'm pretty stressed about it, but I've been wondering if that's why I haven't been losing. Although my typical exercise routine is anywhere from 3-5 days a week with an everage calorie burn of 300's, my basic daily life routine consists of no sitting and frequent movement. Although I do not walk miles as a mailman, nurse, etc. might - or do heavy lifting like some jobs may consist of, I do not stop to sit down most days. Even though I do sit at work (3 days/wk), from 345 until approx 9pm, I don't stop. I'm thinking this might be the problem???? (Or at least I'm hoping). Is a 300 cal increase going to help? If any of you have had success with this type of increase, I'd love to hear.

Replies

• BodyTransformation
    Options
    I would definitely say this could be a reason that you are plateauing. If I were you, I would without question up the cals a bit and then continue to weigh in and see what type of changes you see on the scale as well as visually how you look and feel. The good part is that upping the calories only 300 is not a HUGE amount so say you went 300 excess everyday for a week, which I assume you probably wont do, that would only be 2100 in a week which wouldnt even be a pound. It will probably take a little longer than a week for you to really see if you have benfited from the upping of the calories.

Keep us posted and hope this helps!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi
    About 3 weeks ago I hit a plateau and was only losing about a pound a week and one week I gained a pound! At that point I had increased exercising from about 3x a week to 5 or 6x times a week...at the gym for an hour each time. I didn't increase my calories and kept just a little under each day. The past two weeks I've eaten a little more each day...still not going over my allowance each day but going into some of what was added due to exercise. I lost 4 pounds last week! So, while I can't tell you the reason I lost more was because of the increase in my calories I think it does have something to do with it. I've read if you do too much exercise and don't eat a little more your body will shut down and not let go of the pounds.
    Keep going!!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Increasing your calories is a great way to bump out of a plateau! A couple other things too - are you eating every 3 hours? Are you trying to eat natural foods (i.e. not processed microwaved crap, but fruits and veggies along with fish/meat etc)?

As for cardio - instead of go at a regular pace, try moving at intervals. This is called HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training) and is shown to burn up to 9x the calories of a 'normal' workout. For example, do a 5 minute warm-up, then adjust the speed/incline/resistance to max for 30 seconds (max being your max, not the machines) then reduce to a nice easy pace for 90 seconds. Do this 5-6 times and you'll be whooped and burn a crap load of calories.

Eating clean > low calorie but processed crap diets every day of the week. :) best of luck!

Steve
  • onelegpat
    onelegpat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in kind of the same boat right, I've been going for 5 months with a very slow weight loss thus far. I work out 4-5 days a week, plus I try to lead a pretty active lifestyle, (tennis, biking, swimming). I've cut out gluten almost entirely, no bread, no pasta, no grains, no corn, no dairy.

I eat meat, seafood and veggies almost exclusively, with the occasional chunk of cheese, Timbit or bagel. I've started this after trying the low fat milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurt, whole grain bread, low fat, low carb, fake sugar, palm size meat serving diet that I was offered. It didn't work so I'm changing, it has been about a month and a half and my trainer keeps telling me I must eat more. He wants me around 200 g of protein a day and approx. 3000 cal per day, I'm right around 100 g and 2000 calories and I'm having better but still slow results, he is getting frustrated that I'm not following his advise but it is so hard for me to believe I'll lose weight when I start eating more. For my last 2 week weigh period I did increase to 2500 cal and around 150 g and i was down 4 lbs, I'm trying this 2 week period to get up to 3000 and 200 g it is hard but I'm almost there each day, so if this thread is still going I'll post my results next weekend.
    I track EVERYTHING I put in my body and try to mark my exercise as precisely as possible so I can review this 6 month journey I'm on and see what worked and didn't and then I'm going to implement that for my next 6 months.
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    Sounds like you and I share similar type lives, lol. I workout 4-5 times a week and my workouts are usually 300-500 cals each and often I will so a 500 cal circuit workout and then run 2-3 miles on the tredmill right after. I am a very busy mom and I hold two part-time jobs. I am always looking for opportunities to get in a walk or at the very least, to get in a few extra steps. I'm 5' 2" and have only about 15 (EXTREAMLY stubborn) pounds to lose. My calorie allotment is 1200 a day and I was STARVING on only that much. I kept upping my workouts so I could eat more calories. After two monghs I never lost a thing. I thought that maybe I had underestimated my activity level and that maybe I was in starvation mode so I upped to 1500. Still didn't lose anything. Just two weeks ago I upped it again. I still havent' lost anything but I also haven't gained anything either and I'm so much more satisfied with my meals. I'm not giving up but until I figure out what works, at least I'm not starving, lol.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Over the last 3-4 months I've gone from eating 1200 calories a day and exercising my butt off to eating 1500-2000 calories most days & exercising less.

Yeah, I'm losing more now than I was before eating 600-700 fewer calories. For the first time since September 8th (when I joined MFP), I'm losing exactly the amount of weight I should be losing based on the calorie deficits I'm creating (1.5 pounds/week). I was losing faster last fall, but I was creating humongous calorie deficits (sometimes 2000-3000 calorie deficits each day) and the weight I was losing wasn't matching those deficits because my metabolism was slowing down until I eventually stopped losing weight and started gaining. That's when I decided to increase my calories to 1400. I started losing weight a couple weeks later and then plateaued again. Increased my calories again, plateaued again, and then increased a final time to 1290 base +100% of my exercise calories and have been losing appropriately and steadily since then (for 5 weeks now).

If you're increasing your calories drastically (and 25% more is pretty drastic, IMO), you may see a very slight gain for a week or two as your body adjusts. Please give your body the time it needs to adjust and don't freak out about it. Keep eating more for a month or 2 before you determine it's not working for you.
  • wheels82
    wheels82 Posts: 1
    Options
    I truly beleive upping your caloric intake is the way to go. My calorie allotment for the day based on my goals is 1250. When I workout ( 3 weight sessions per week and walk/run 3-4 days a week) I burn about 300+ calories. I make sure I eat ALL the calories I've earned that day. So that usually leaves me with about 1500-600 per day depending on the intensity of my workout. I have lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks and am 7 pounds to my goal weight. I eat 6 times a day (every 2-3 hours) and I am rarely STARVING ( hungry at times) but satified quickly. I beleive also in "eating clean" lots of veggies, fruit and nuts for snacks and carbs usually only at breakfast and lunch primarily. My body just seems to be fueled by this method and the weight comes off. I am also working with a Personal Trainer who reminds me to eat!!! It's so true- Food (the right kind and amount) is fuel for your body. Also many people over estimate how many calories they actually burn and how many calories they are consuming. You have to be very strict about this I've learned. Good Luck! I know you can do it! ( :
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    . Also many people over estimate how many calories they actually burn and how many calories they are consuming.

Very great point! I find a digital kitchen scale is essential to determine proper portion sizes so that you can estimate your calories consumed as accurately as possible. For example, I can pack a lot more ice cream in to a 1/2 cup measuring cup than 60g (which is the weight portion size noted on my carton) or a lot more peanut butter into a tablespoon than 16g. Meat should be portioned raw, unless otherwise noted. And a heart rate monitor is a good way to keep your exercise intensity in check so you can be sure you're not overestimating how hard you're actually working. If you're not pouring sweat and breathing heavily, you're not working out "vigorously."
  • gpies
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great responses. I'm going to stick with these 1500 for a while and see what happens. The only thing I feel good about is knowing my calorie burn amount with my HRM. It's been a great addition to my workouts since I probably would have overestimated my amounts based on some of the listings available. I hope that this starts to help and for anyone that may be tryiing this with me, we should check in to see if we are getting positive results. :smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    As an example, I used to eat 1200 plus my exercise calories. All in all, about 1500 calories. Then, I started playing around. I added in 100 calories, so after exercise, I was eating about 1600 calories. I still lost the same amount of weight. Bonus food, and still losing weight, what's wrong with that? Then, I tried doing it again, and was eating about 1700 calories a day. My weight loss slowed a bit, although I was still losing about 1/2 pound a week.

I then started a class called Health Seekers through the Y. Within the class, I had appointments with registered dieticians at the hospital. They set me at a 1500 calorie a day diet, with no bonus for exercise. In the first 6 weeks, I lost 10 lbs. Then the dietician set me at 1450 calories (evidently their calculations work that for every 10 lbs lost, you drop 50 calories, because a smaller body needs less energy to run). The last 6 weeks of the class, I lost 6 lbs. In the month and a half since the class ended, I've lost nothing. I told the dietician that I didn't think I was eating enough calories. I started having cravings and binges, and really didn't feel like I was eating enough.

I went last week, and had a calorimetry test done. It's where they measure your oxygen intake and carbon dioxide output for a period of time. From those numbers, they can figure out what your metabolism is. I sat with the dietician on Friday, and got the wonderful news that I had NOT been eating enough. My REE (resting energy expenditure (I think)) was 1586 calories. So... My caloric intake just got moved to 1600 a day. Which was what I had figured out on my own before all the classes and talks with the dietician:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry about the long post, but yes, I believe that you can easily raise your daily calorie intake. I would just do it by 100 for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If you're still losing, try raising by another 100. You will eventually hit a point where the weight loss slows. At that point, just drop it back down 100 to where you were at when you were still losing.
  • gpies
    Options
    Problem is, I haven't ever really STARTED losing! That's why I figured something has to be "off". It seems to have been too long for having absolutely NOTHING happen. I haven't weighed in since I started my increase. Has only been about 4-5 days so I'm giving it a week before I hit any scales. Don't want to get totally frustrated through this whole thing like I already have been. Thing is, I'm not someone that is looking for quick results. I understand that it doesn't happen over night, but I feel like since February, something should have been happening. And, I've been much better the more I've been doing this, so I feel I should see more positive results that I have been these past months. Still crossing my fingers.
  • onelegpat
    onelegpat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, let us know what's happening! I have to tell you that since Friday, when my calories got raised to 1600, I have lost a pound and a half! It really is true that if you don't eat enough, your metabolism will slow down so your body can survive on that few of calories.