Is my 1,200 a day calorie diet good? help, im confused!!

Options
Okay, i hope someone can answer my
question because i have been trying to
find an answer but still end up confused. I
use my fitness pal and my calorie goal is
1,200 (thats what they put for me) Im 19, 159 pounds and 5'0. My BMR is 1539. i work
out around 4-5 times a week. I normally
burn 600 calories by working out. Okay
heres where my confusion starts: since
im working out almost everyday, do i eat
more than 1,200? What i have been doing
is eating 1,200 calories a day and if i work
out, i will eat the remaining amount of calories so that my net amount will be at least 1,200. ill eat some of the calories back or
else i would starve. Can i still lose weight
this way? Im remaning at my goal and
working out so im just confused on
whether i can remain there or have to up
my calories!

Replies

• Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    u r dng ri8.........eat n workout in such a way that ur goal remains arnd 1200............asat:smile:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you're burning 600 cals, eat at least half of them back if you're going by MFP's calculations (or even 3/4), and if you have and HRM, eat all of them back. You should be on the right track. You're right, you WILL starve if you don't eat the calories back!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    if you read this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It should explain why, even though MFP suggests 1200 calories for some people, this is almost always too low.

You should never eat below your BMR.
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat at least part of them back, but trial and error will tell you what's the right level.
  • babyyalexx
    Options
    Yea i actually have an HRM! So it tells me exactly how many calories i lost while working out (: I make sure to eat as much of those calotoes back because if i dont, i wake up in the middle of the night starving! I committed that mistake once so never again
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    if you read this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It should explain why, even though MFP suggests 1200 calories for some people, this is almost always too low.

You should never eat below your BMR.

^^^THIS. Check out IPOARM and eat the food! You don't want to damage your metabolism. :heart:
  • babyyalexx
    Options
    Yea i actually have an HRM! So it tells me exactly how many calories i lost while working out (: I make sure to eat as much of those calotoes back because if i dont, i wake up in the middle of the night starving! I committed that mistake once so never again

Yes i have an HRM so it tells me exactly how many calories i have burned!! I try to eat all of them back but if im not that hungry, just some!
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    I am one week into upping my calories since reading IPOARM.

I gained a pound!

I don't care!

It's all part of the plan....
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Okay, i hope someone can answer my
    question because i have been trying to
    find an answer but still end up confused. I
    use my fitness pal and my calorie goal is
    1,200 (thats what they put for me) Im 19, 159 pounds and 5'0. My BMR is 1539. i work
    out around 4-5 times a week. I normally
    burn 600 calories by working out. Okay
    heres where my confusion starts: since
    im working out almost everyday, do i eat
    more than 1,200? What i have been doing
    is eating 1,200 calories a day and if i work
    out, i will eat the remaining amount of calories so that my net amount will be at least 1,200. ill eat some of the calories back or
    else i would starve. Can i still lose weight
    this way? Im remaning at my goal and
    working out so im just confused on
    whether i can remain there or have to up
    my calories!

-- The simple way to explain it is; 1200 is you NET calorie goal, so if you burn more calories by exercising you need to eat to reach your NET cal goal of 1200.
    -- I eat back at least 60-75% of them, just to help cover any errors in estimating exercise calories burned. I am always under the end of the week on my net calories which is easy to see on the mobile app. Sometimes I go over on a day, but for the week I'm still under or at my NET calories goal, so that's Ok. Look on the reports under Nutrition, the first option is Net Calories. This is a common confusion, hence the thread below. :bigsmile:
    Read this thread for more details:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • Lupercalia
    Options

I gained a pound!

I don't care!

Yep, just keep doing your thing, Emma. The fat does come off. You probably know this already, but if you take measurements and photos, you'll have a more accurate picture of what's going on with your body composition than you will by simply checking the scale.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

I gained a pound!

I don't care!

Yep, just keep doing your thing, Emma. The fat does come off. You probably know this already, but if you take measurements and photos, you'll have a more accurate picture of what's going on with your body composition than you will by simply checking the scale.

Yeah I just started tracking BF% and waist measurement too so I'm not disheartened by what the scale says.

But I already can tell my clothes are looser fitting - which in a weird way kind of sucks cos it means I have to spend ££s buying new jeans!
  • Lupercalia
    Options

I gained a pound!

I don't care!

Yeah I just started tracking BF% and waist measurement too so I'm not disheartened by what the scale says.

But I already can tell my clothes are looser fitting - which in a weird way kind of sucks cos it means I have to spend ££s buying new jeans!

Well, new jeans aren't cheap....but you're achieving what you set out to do. And who doesn't love new jeans? :wink:
  • Lupercalia
    Options

Another good link! :flowerforyou: