Cereal?

Options
crazyjkgirl
crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
Is there such a thing as actually healthy cereal? It seems like everything is so sugar loaded and worthless nutritionally.

I love natural granolas but they seem so high in calories that I've been apprehensive! I've heard of plain old oats. Is this a good option?

Replies

• Capucine7
    Capucine7 Posts: 40
    Options
    I like Weetabix with vanilla almond milk.
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of corn bran. 120 calories for a cup, and it fills me up and keeps me full!
  • stephflo33
    stephflo33 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer because I was just at the grocery store reading labels and thinking the same thing myself. I am watching carbs more than calories, and recently discovered almond milk, but can not find a cereal low enough in carbs to enjoy it with!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Porridge is probably the best nutritionally but in general most aren't total rubbish. I think people get caught up in whole carbs saga and forget that any complex carbs (yes even white carbs) still have quite a bit of nutritional value. Basically, most cereals are a 'good choice', any low sugar cereal 'a better choice', wholegrain cereals 'best choice'.

Personally I'm not a cereal fan other than porridge and I find that takes too long. But on the two days in a year that I actually feel like cereal (yeah I have a lot of wasted boxes!) I tend to have 30g cereal which is usually the suggested serve anyway and then a full cup of milk (not all on the cereal) which helps keep me full longer.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm a O's and Krispie fan, and have just started with the weight control oatmeal.
    Not sure about the sugar in them, but the oatmeal is wonderful, keeps you full all morning!
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You are right---"plain old oats" are awesome.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    kashi go lean is good in summer with yogurt and fruit. in winter, I do plain oatmeal with a half cup of frozen fruit mixed in