Advice would be really appreciated ..x

Options
Hi im new to this so dont know what to do really.. so il start by telling you a bit about myself then maybe you can help! im 21 in July but have put on a lot of weight in the last 2 years. I got pregnant at 19 and put on a lot of weight. I lost my baby boy at 7 months gestation and put on even more weight after.. i finally started getting serious about losing the pounds in september and have went from just over 11 stone to 9st 11lbs.. I have also had a swolen knee since November so cant do any cardio only weight training so its even harder to shift the stubborn pounds.. Any advice?

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    punching is a great way to do cardio without hurting your knee. swimming is also excellent! if you can walk, perhaps the elliptical would be good for you (as opposed to running)

also, look at fitnessblender and blogilates on youtube. They have great work outs and if you search key words such as "low impact" they can give you great cardio exercises. As far as strength goes, you can do the same as above but just type in "strength". hope this helps!
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    punching bag (or speed bag) are both awesome for cardio work if you want to give your lower body a rest.
  • rafa46
    rafa46 Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't be to hard on yourself - you've had a tough time. And sounds like your mindset is really positive too. How about swimming for exercise? I had an op on my knee last September - and swimming was great for keeping fit but not aggravating the knee. Good luck!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    start with what you can control. research some healthy eating. add more fruits and veggies. get use to eating at a goal. and any exercise is better then nothing. you dont have to go to a gym and start running for an hour on a treadmill. house cleaning. mowing the lawn? anything you feel you can do. i love the elliptical oppose to the treadmill. stationary bikes? zumba classes? start with small goals of 10 minutes on the bike and work your way up and higher resistances. it depends how bad you want this. but its subtle changes that will put you on the right track.

look at your diet? use less coffee creamer? cut out regular pop and go to diet? eat 3 pieces of pizza rather then 4. any little victory is better then what you were doing that put on the weight.
  • 21Jenny21
    Options
    Thanks guys thats great help.. I should go back swimming I used to be in swimming club when I was younger and did loads of competitions so I was great at it..! I find Its hard to get the push to do much on my own though! what is an elliptical?? ha you would know I am a beginner!!
  • 21Jenny21
    Options
    Thats great thanks a mill.. would boxing be the same as punch bag? some of my friends go to it but i thought it would be to hard on my knee
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    if you can walk, you can do cardio. you don't have to walk at an excessive pace. just walk long distances (a few miles) and you'll burn lots of calories. wrap your knee with an ACE bandage if that helps.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Hi im new to this so dont know what to do really.. so il start by telling you a bit about myself then maybe you can help! im 21 in July but have put on a lot of weight in the last 2 years. I got pregnant at 19 and put on a lot of weight. I lost my baby boy at 7 months gestation and put on even more weight after.. i finally started getting serious about losing the pounds in september and have went from just over 11 stone to 9st 11lbs.. I have also had a swolen knee since November so cant do any cardio only weight training so its even harder to shift the stubborn pounds.. Any advice?

you can lose weight with doing weight training since your body isnt used to it, I have a very bad right knee (tore it badly 10 years ago) and weight training has really helped it, just had to go light for a long time. Swimming is also excellent and easy on your joints!
  • ZhinaJalali
    Options
    Hi Jenny, Good job! Why is your knee swollen? Please see a doctor about this because it could be an injury that you could fix in a matter of weeks or months. If you leave it untreated, you could stay in pain for a long, long time. Like others have said consider swimming or water jogging or an aqua gym class. Those are great and loads of community centres have them!

Cheers!

www.greekyogurtandskinnylattes.com
  • 21Jenny21
    Options
    Hi Jenny, Good job! Why is your knee swollen? Please see a doctor about this because it could be an injury that you could fix in a matter of weeks or months. If you leave it untreated, you could stay in pain for a long, long time. Like others have said consider swimming or water jogging or an aqua gym class. Those are great and loads of community centres have them!

Cheers!

www.greekyogurtandskinnylattes.com

Heya, me knee has been a bit weird for the last three years.. but then in november i was out with friends and must have bumped it and it just went up like a balloon.. had an xray done and nothin came up in that so im waiting for an MRI scan for the last month.. Cant keep going to the doc cause it costs a fortune..! swimming seems to be the most popular answer with everyone! thanks :)
  • 21Jenny21
    Options
    if you can walk, you can do cardio. you don't have to walk at an excessive pace. just walk long distances (a few miles) and you'll burn lots of calories. wrap your knee with an ACE bandage if that helps.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
    Hi thanks for comment.. cant walk very far unfortunately even at a slow place.. it swells up more and goes very stiff! Ill try the ACE bandage though and see if that helps :)