Ideas to help beat the dreaded plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem for me at week 3 -4 of a diet then I traditionally give up. A personal trainer working with our medical center weight loss program said a commmon problem is low muscle strength in upper body which reduces overall calorie burn. He recommends strength training for upper body and as muscle tone develops, more calories are burned, and weight loss accelerates. I'm going to take his advice and add some upper body conditioning from Nike Training Club app.
  • Redkestrel
    Redkestrel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Definitely read this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It explains that even though MFP sets some people to to 1200 calories - for pretty much most people, this is too low (and hence your plateau)

You need to calculate your TDEE and eat 20% less than that :)

Happy reading.....
    Thank you ! I've just read it through and done the calculations -- and saved the link. Much appreciated!
  • Redkestrel
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone! I'm hearing all of you and will try increasing my calories to 1400 and see what happens there. I am doing weight training once per week (it's actually fitness ball and weights, but didn't know how to enter it except as circuit training).

I think I'll go buy some weights so I can do some at home too.

You guys rock!!!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Thank you ! I've just read it through and done the calculations -- and saved the link. Much appreciated!
    [/quote]

I only discovered it myself one week ago - I never used to read the forums at all!

I'm only a week in...and i actually gained a pound since last week - but I'm sticking to the plan and confident it will come off eventually.

Good luck.
  • Redkestrel
    Options
    Redkestral, I glanced at your diary. I think you're doing really well. Over the long term, I think you're going to do well even if you never made any changes. From here on out, I think all you need to do is tweak what you do now and then. Here's some things you could tweak in my opinion. Don't do all of these at once. Just pick a couple that seem do-able to you.

Add even more fresh fruit and vegies
    Add more protein at each meal
    Add weight lifting
    Really... you're doing great. It just takes time, sometimes. Don't give up. ESPECIALLY if you're on this journey with your husband, and he's supportive of what you're doing. You guys are going to be so much happier and healthier if you keep making good choices, like you are.
    I'm actually single -- no husband (that was from another commenter) but I have some support from my skinny friends! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your work out regimen like?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    'm actually single -- no husband (that was from another commenter) but I have some support from my skinny friends! :)

OH GOD. I must need more coffee. SO SORRY for my mistake. I think you're adorable and would hate for you to stress out about things when it looks like you're doing a great job overall. 1400 calories is a GREAT way to go. Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't make any drastic changes at this point, ok?
  • Redkestrel
    Options
    My workout is general --

Monday - one hour of Yoga Fit (holding tough poses etc., no chanting LOL)
    Wednesday -- one hour of more traditional yoga (chanting, stretching, more for balance)
    Thursday -- one hour of Fitness Ball/Weights

Sporadically, (one or two times per week), one hour of power walking.

That's about it ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My workout is general --

Monday - one hour of Yoga Fit (holding tough poses etc., no chanting LOL)
    Wednesday -- one hour of more traditional yoga (chanting, stretching, more for balance)
    Thursday -- one hour of Fitness Ball/Weights

Sporadically, (one or two times per week), one hour of power walking.

That's about it ...

hmmm well I would recommend that you get into more of strength based program with some cardio/yoga. Maybe build a program around deadlifts, squats, bench press, over head press, etc....and then do a three day a week total body workout (chest, arms, legs, back, shoulders)...that should help you break through and also tone everything up .....
  • leeceleste54
    Options
    Hello.......I will agree with everyone else....drinking water is a great tip, but you may have to also increas the number of days that you work out. Also you may want to change your routine up.....your body gets use to the same routine; therefore you may not be getting the results you're looking for. Keep up the good work....I wish you much continued success.:smile:
  • Redkestrel
    Options
    Great advice on the weights! I'm going to buy some today so I can do weights at home. I work at a university and while I can use the gym for free, it's very difficult to get time on any of the equipment because it's always PACKED with students. (They're quite inspiring!)
  • Redkestrel
    Options
    Again, thank you all! I can't believe how motivating and inspirational this community is! I'm stoked again :D
  • ndj1979
    Options
    working out at home would be OK at first..but I would really recommend using the gym because you have access to more stuff like power rack, pull up station, free weights, machines, etc....
  • kirberry7
    kirberry7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From my experience, a bigger breakfast really helps. I looked at your food diary and it looks like you could be adding some more to that, maybe some fruit or toast would be good. I used to eat really small breakfasts, a medium lunch and a huge dinner, but I soon found out that it should be the complete opposite of that. I was plateauing for 2 months before I changed my breakfast intake and then started to lose again :)
  • KrystalHocevar
    KrystalHocevar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump to read later