How come walking burns a lot of calories ?

Options
i go for walking daily for 1 to 1 hr 30 mins at an average speed of 7 km/hr (4.3 mph) and cover a distance of 10 kms ( 6.2 miles)

I burn more than 1000 calories according to my sports tracking instrument...my endomondo tracker also shows the same results...

Replies

• NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I walked for 1h 15m y'day and my Endomondo shows more than 800 calories burnt.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I must have really short legs! Walking at a 3mp pace is just short of running for me!

At the 3mp pace I burn about 300 cals in 30 mins.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    At 3.75 I burn about 600 in an hour so it sounds about right to me.
  • dhanisk
    Options
    I am pleasantly surprised that walking burns so many calories. I am happy for you.
    When I run at 6 miles per hour on my tread mill, it shows that I have burnt 900 calories in 1 hour. However, MFP's exercise chart only shows 650 calories.
    Any thought on which is correct? 1 hour of running at 6 miles/hr burns 650 cals or 1 hour of walking at 3.75 mph burns 600 cals. Wonder if the current body weight plays a much bigger role! I am 142 pounds.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can check here » http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/calculators/caloriecounter.asp

For me it shows 816 calories burnt if I run at 10 mins/mile for 1 hour.
  • dhanisk
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the url above. I just confirmed that we all may be right. The body weight of the runner makes a huge difference in calories burned. I checked the site for someone running at 6 miles per hour for 1 hour

If your weight is 185 pounds, the calories burned were ~830 cal

If your weight is 142 pounds, the calories burned were ~640 cal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise and great recovery cardio. I burn about 200 calories per 30 minutes...I only burn 30-50 more running for that same amount of time...but I guess I do give my heart a bit better aerobic workout when I run.
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn shown on Endomondo (at least for me) is ALWAYS significantly higher than what my heart rate monitor tells me. Just a word of caution, though who knows, it might be right for you.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    To get over 4 mphs i have to jog for a few minutes every mile. But i do member them being about 600 cals per hourwith my hrm.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it depends on your heart rate, exertion level and body weight.plus you're male and 24.

walking doesn't burn that many calories for me. i think i'd have to keep my heart rate at 170 and above for an hour to burn that many calories
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If i'm doing a steady run (9 min mile) I calculate about 500 calories an hour. I understand everyone is different, but I would seriously question a burn rate of 1000 calories over a 10K walk, I don't burn that much racing a 10K.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If i'm doing a steady run (9 min mile) I calculate about 500 calories an hour. I understand everyone is different, but I would seriously question a burn rate of 1000 calories over a 10K walk, I don't burn that much racing a 10K.

here are my statistics for a particular day:-

DISTANCE 10.02 km

DURATION 1h:30m:35s

AVG. SPEED 7.1 km/h

MAX. SPEED 8.8 km/h

CALORIES 1046 kcal

HYDRATION 1.94L

MIN. ALTITUDE -40 m

MAX. ALTITUDE 6 m

TOTAL ASCENT 142 m

TOTAL DESCENT 155 m
  • abheshek
    Options
    You can check here » http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/calculators/caloriecounter.asp

For me it shows 816 calories burnt if I run at 10 mins/mile for 1 hour.

thanks a lot....that calculation shows that i burn 950 calories
  • abheshek
    Options
    The calorie burn shown on Endomondo (at least for me) is ALWAYS significantly higher than what my heart rate monitor tells me. Just a word of caution, though who knows, it might be right for you.

heart rate monitor itself is highly inaccurate...
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/

not sure how accurate it is but I use this for determining how much I burn walking on treadmills (well walking in general, you can even use it for running if you know your pace)
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    To a first approximation, the energy expended walking and running is dependent only on your weight. Makes no difference how fast or what your heart rate is. I burn the same number of calories running a mile that a Kenyan marathoner my weight (but a foot taller) does.

Before you yell "No way!" remember the denominator here is distance, not time. The marathoner and I both burn 90 kcal/mile, but in an hour, I run 5 miles and he runs 12, therefore I burn 450 kcal/hr while he burns 1080 kcal/hr.

Someone who weighs 145-150 will burn 100kcal/mile So if you want to know if your kcals burned is correct, adjust that up or down depending on your weight.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You should burn about 100 calories each mile you do. Since you're going so far, it doesn't seem implausible to burn the calories you have.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Back in 04, some researchers did a test on calories per mile. ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15570150 )

Average man burnt 124 kCal/mile running, and 88 kCal walking
    Average woman burnt 105 & 74 (less mass on the women)

Humans burn about 0.64 kCal/mile/lb, so the average male in the study weighed 193 lbs.
    So, they burnt 0.46 kCal/mile/lb walking.

Over 6.2 miles, you'd have to weigh 350 lbs to burn 1000 Calories.
    To burn 1000 Cal over 6.2 miles running, you'd have to weigh 350 lbs.

Or to put it another way, if you are "average" according to the study, it would take 11.3 miles to walk 1000 Cal (or 8 miles running)
  • moby_chick
    moby_chick Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I walked for 1h 15m y'day and my Endomondo shows more than 800 calories burnt.

Lol Icimani.... same here. :O) When I go out walking with our year old pup, I have to practically run to keep up with her.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    A fast walk, like almost a jog could give me 180-220 for 30 minutes, and a run 250-400 for 30 minutes depending on the speed and incline and terrain. I think your weight and composition determine how much you burn. If you do it for an hour or hour and a half it's probably twice as much of three times as much.