Is this good for me?

Options
I have been hearing a lot about these weight loss supplements on the radio. Does anybody know about these things are they a good idea/bad idea? Do they work? I have lost about 15 pounds and want to lose another 15 but it seems like I get to around 200lbs and can't lose anymore. So I was wondering if one of these supplements might be a good idea to boost my metabolism and get me over this hump. I was thinking about getting one from gnc or Supplement super store Any advice? let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Supplements are bad. Healthy eating and exercise is good.

If you want to boost your metabolism, drink some green tea and lift weights.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Here is my completely un-scientific take on supplements:

Good reasons to take a supplement -- if you want a low-calorie way to meet your macros. Vitamins, proteins, calcium, etc. I know these aren't the "supplements" you are suggesting here, but there are use in these. You can use these to help your body stay healthy if you can't eat food that provides them based on diet/budget/etc.

Bad reasons to take a supplement -- if you think that this supplement is the last thing standing between yourself and your goal weight. Whether you take the pill or not, you won't lose the weight if you don't exercise and watch your calories, and if you DO both of those things accurately and consistently, you'll lose weight without the supplement.

TL;DR -- not worth it, IMHO.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Supplements are bad. Healthy eating and exercise is good.

If you want to boost your metabolism, drink some green tea and lift weights.

Since when? It would do everyone some good supplementing green tea, omega 3,6 & 9 and some vitamin D and B vitamins into their diet.
  • mattg1429
    Options
    I do exersise and watch my calories and I get down to 200lbs then do the same things I was doing to get down to 200 and in like 2 or three weeks of doing the same stuff I wont lose anything thats y I thought a supplement might boost my metabolism to get under that 200 mark.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do exersise and watch my calories and I get down to 200lbs then do the same things I was doing to get down to 200 and in like 2 or three weeks of doing the same stuff I wont lose anything thats y I thought a supplement might boost my metabolism to get under that 200 mark.
    Have you adjusted your calories or changed anything since dropping to 200? As we lose weight and out bodies change, our caloric needs tend to change as well. Can't see your diary, so not sure what sort of workouts you do, or how much you're eating, but getting the calories right is key.

I've had great success over the past year eating according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Run your numbers through the tools there and see if maybe you need to tweak your calories to get things rolling again. Good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Here is my completely un-scientific take on supplements:

Good reasons to take a supplement -- if you want a low-calorie way to meet your macros. Vitamins, proteins, calcium, etc. I know these aren't the "supplements" you are suggesting here, but there are use in these. You can use these to help your body stay healthy if you can't eat food that provides them based on diet/budget/etc.

Bad reasons to take a supplement -- if you think that this supplement is the last thing standing between yourself and your goal weight. Whether you take the pill or not, you won't lose the weight if you don't exercise and watch your calories, and if you DO both of those things accurately and consistently, you'll lose weight without the supplement.

TL;DR -- not worth it, IMHO.

This is sage advice.
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have read that doing the same thing over and over, your body becomes adjusted to it. Try something different - play around with your calories (ex. if you typically eat 1800 calories a day, try 2000 one day and then 1600 the next and trick your body). The same with exercise - do less one time and more the next. This might work! Good Luck!