Question for runners

Hi,
I just finished week 2 of the C25K plan. I know it says to run 3 days a week with rest between. Do you think it would be helpful or hurtful to to add in another day or 2 of running a week? I am 41 years old and have never been a runner. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks,
Jen

Replies

• EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Don't think it would be hurtful but I do know rest days are very beneficial and being that you've never run before I would stick to the plan then as you get stronger & build stamina you might want to venture in more running, adding miles etc... but rest days very beneficial, as long as you don't rest for 2/3 weeks...haha.
    Best of luck to you.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    If the three days a week aren't feeling challenging enough, I'd add distance to your workouts, not additional days. But that's just me. You definitely want to keep rest days to let your body recover- especially if you're a new runner.
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Rest days are important but if you feel like you could challange yourself you might want to try some crosstraining. On rest days you could try bike riding, swimming, strength training etc. I also agree adding distance to your existing workout would also be very helpful. GOOD LUCK
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Hi,
    I just finished week 2 of the C25K plan. I know it says to run 3 days a week with rest between. Do you think it would be helpful or hurtful to to add in another day or 2 of running a week? I am 41 years old and have never been a runner. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jen

Wait for a few weeks and then perhaps add another day in.

It is excellent, however, that you feel you want to add extra days in, that indicates a massive factor which is, that you have plenty in the tank and are much less likely to get an injury due to overtraining or tiredness.

Stick with the C25K plan, because it is obviously suiting you down to the ground.

Wishing you all the very best, you will do absolutely brilliantly.

I do a lot of running and feel free to friend me if you want.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    ts totally up to you when i started that i was doing xtra days in there by week 2 as well as areobics too! so it really wouldn't kill you:smile: just don't over do it! :smile:
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    If the three days a week aren't feeling challenging enough, I'd add distance to your workouts, not additional days. But that's just me. You definitely want to keep rest days to let your body recover- especially if you're a new runner.

^This! I love that you want to add more days!! I have never completed the C25K but I do know that if you do too much too soon you can injure yourself which is ANNOYING!

Also! Try cross training! Do you have access to an elliptical perhaps? When I need an extra day of running but know I should chill out, I hit up the elliptical or the stairmaster. I hate both but I know it's better on my knees that hard running:)

GOOD LUCK!
  • i was a new runner when i did C25k and stuck with the plan. that was last year. i'm doing a half marathon in 6 weeks - so I'd say the plan was successful. best of luck ♥

edit: on an "off running day" or two, maybe throw in different exercises - workout DVD, elliptical, row machine, etc.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    When I started running (2 years ago), I ran 7 days a week. Now, I run 5 days a week (1-3miles a day) and dance strenuously (3-4 hours) the other two. I've not seen any problem. And I was never a runner. I say, go with what you feel, it's your body. If it starts to hurt, back off a bit.

Oh! And my profile pic (is from when I was heavier)...I posted it for my friends to show the progress.
  • I may be biased because I have had injuries from training inappropriately for my races (as have most runners! Injuries are extremely common with this sport). I think you should definitely take the rest days, especially if your body is not used to running. I always supplement my running with other types of exercise though and haven't had a problem that way.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I may be biased because I have had injuries from training inappropriately for my races (as have most runners! Injuries are extremely common with this sport). I think you should definitely take the rest days, especially if your body is not used to running. I always supplement my running with other types of exercise though and haven't had a problem that way.

^^^^^^ THIS!
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    the first few weeks are pretty low impact so if you feel that you want to do another day - i would say go for it. after you get to 6-8 weeks you will be pushing harder so stay with the 3 days, and continue with that after the program is finished.

do as others have said and cross train - i love to do kickboxing, swimming, biking, and also do weight lifting. they are all excellent options and will it keep you motivated and you won't get bored and will look forward to your next run.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    I am currently on week 7 and from everything I have read they say to just stick to the program. As others have said the rest days are very important.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Just listen to your body - everyone is different. Some people can run for weeks straight, logging incredible miles, without any rest days. I don't happen to be one of them; my body needs a rest day or two each week. Your body will tell you whether you need to rest or not... just don't neglect to listen to it!
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    I would stick to the plan as much as possible. You might not be feeling it in your muscles so much but you need to give your joints time to recover or risk injury especially if you're carrying extra weight at first doing it, like I was. I really would follow the days and do some light impact workouts on the other days. I used to alternate with swimming. It's a great program though and I loved it!!! Keep it up!
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    I would be very careful about adding another day just because of the potential for injury. As a general rule of thumb you should never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% compared to the previous week.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    If you go to the C25K website and read up on it, it actually says that it is normal in the first few weeks to think you are going to slow, or not doing enough and they say to not skip ahead and not to add in days.

If this is your first time running then I would stick to the program. The first few weeks are easy, but it ramps up and get harder and harder as the run times get longer and longer and the rests get shorter.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I run 4-5 times a week with no problems and a lot of training programs have as many as 6 run days.

My best advice for the days you add would be to make them different from the program days somehow. Change it up a bit. Because you won't progress through the program faster by just doing those runs closer together.

I'd say do some shorter intervals at greater speeds with shorter rest on the days that you add. And stick to the prescribed program runs in your main 3x a week runs.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    We adapt to the cardio portion of it faster than our muscles and joints adapt to it, especially when we're not in our teens anymore. The rest days don't have to be a full complete rest, but they should be a rest from running - give your body a chance to repair and get ready for the next run. I was walking on the alternate days when I started, which worked out great. But any other cross training would be just as good.

ETA - this is based on you never being a runner before starting this. (which was also the case for me). Many people who have been running for a while - they will run more days a week.
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    I've been a runner for almost a year and so I'm still learning too. But I have gotten a lot of advice that your body needs the rest and sometimes running two days in a row isn't the best. But listen to your body. Start with adding more days and run every other day, and if you feel good about it then try running two days in a row. Good luck!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Bump for later