Elliptical vs Treadmill

Options
I have been day dreaming about getting an elliptical or treadmill for home. I'm afraid once I get it in there I won't use it. Any suggestions on which way to go? If you bought one yourself did you really use it?

Replies

• hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're going for a maximum amount of calories burned in a short period, definitely go for the elliptical. If you want to get into running/walking then go outside :happy:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely get running outside.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My husband & I just got an elliptical this week, we love it. I was originally going to get a treadmill as my sister has one (although now she is thinking of getting an elliptical too) & loves it but after talking to a friend who has both a treadmill & elliptical she told me to get the elliptical. She found she lost weight faster using it, its alot easier on your joints/back etc I just recently started having back issues & my friend has dealt with it for 2yrs so she found elliptical alot easier on her.

I did some online research as well & all signs pointed to the elliptical. It also helped that Sears (Canada) had a huge sale on that was ending the next day :-) I was able to save 800.00 off the price but I also had the same fear that I would never use it. Since we took ours out on a 2yr pymt plan I better use it lol

Ours is a Nordic Track, Rear Wheeled & my fav part is there is a built in speaker system so we just hook up our ipod or iphones & the music comes out of the the system :-)

Good luck on your decision.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Join a gym for few months or two and try both. As much as many people hate Planet Fitness, three month's membership would cost about $30. That's a lot better than shelling out several hundred for a machine you might hate.

Personally, I hate both and would rather run in the heat, cold, rain, snow or wind than set foot on either again, but I hate the elliptical even more. :tongue:
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the treadmill, but this is a recent switch. I hated it and swore by the elliptical, but now Im in much much better shape and I find I get a much better workout on the treadmill. I use the elliptical for a chill cardio day. yesterday, for example, I didnt have the energy to run do I did the eliptical for almost an hour. It depends what you like.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you're intent on spending money on home equipment, get a good set of weights instead. Maybe some kettlebells, too. For at-home workouts, you can't do better than that. Add in some of the great free workout videos at FitnessBlender kettlebell and cardio routines and you're set. If you want more cardio, go outside and play.