What's your favorite bathroom scale?

Options
Hey MFPers! I've been doing this a month and a half, and I haven't weighed myself since the first week. I've never owned a scale before, and I've decided to finally buy one.
I know that you shouldn't rely on the scale to track your progress. I've already gone down a pant size, so I know I'm losing weight. But, I think seeing that number confirming what I already know will be even better motivation.
So I ask, what scales do you all use? Have you been happy with yours? I see fancy ones that claim to measure BF% and whatnot, so if you have one of those as well, tell me how you like it!

Thanks!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would just go for a regular scale. Those fancy ones that claim to measure body fat % etc, are not all that accurate.

I have a scale that measures body fat % and it's not accurate at all. I can weigh myself, drink a bottle of water than weigh myself again and the body fat % goes up.

I prefer digital scales but some people prefer the dial ones. I would just go for an inexpensive scale with either dial or digital depending on what you prefer.

Make sure it's not placed on carpet. Mine will weigh me 25lbs less if I have it on carpet. You have to make sure it's on a hard, level surface or the reading will be off. Also, don't move it often and put it in a spot where it won't get bumped as that will affect it's accuracy. I'm not sure if dial scales do it as well but I know with digital scales I can get multiple different readings depending on where by feet are placed.
  • Crawkins
    Options
    Thank you! You covered everything!
    It doesn't surprise me the scales that claim to measure body fat aren't accurate. And I had no idea about placing it on carpet affecting the weight.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You covered everything!
    It doesn't surprise me the scales that claim to measure body fat aren't accurate. And I had no idea about placing it on carpet affecting the weight.

The scales need to be properly placed and flat so carpet messes them up. A large amount of dust, hair, dirt, whatever on the feet of the scale can also cause it to be inaccurate.

Even if the floor is slightly uneven or not level it will not be accurate.
  • pgrewing
    Options
    Tanita brand scales.

Mine is digital and I've had it for 3 years. It's most accurate scale I've owned. I don't think the body fat % is accurate, but the weight is. This is the only scale I can find that I can step off and step back on and get the same weight. When I did weight watchers, my scale always matched the weight watchers scale within 0.2 pounds.

When my sister comes over, she always weighs herself on my scale because it is so accurate. :smile:
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Anything that tells me I am losing weight :laugh:

I have a Thinner scale sponsored by Weight Watchers. It measures body fat but I just use it for weight. So far it has been very consistent and accurate.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money for a high end dial type scale, go digital. It will be more accurate than the dial, and as said in the other posts, solid flat ground is best!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think its worth thinking twice about buying scales. I have read posts on MFP by people who were devastated that their scales didn't show what they wanted to see on their weekly or periodic weigh-ins.
    You will know when you lose weight - you'll feel it and your clothes will be looser. Don't fall into the trap of being validated as a person by a number on your bathroom scales. Remember that they only thing they can tell you is your a number symbolizing your relationship with gravity. Nothing more.
    I suggest you use MFP to track calories in and out and to help you sustain a healthy lifestyle centred around a calorie controlled balanced diet and an increase of regular exercise. If you do that, weight loss will occur as a natural by-product of becoming healthy and happy.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben