At home workout DVDs. Any suggestions?

Options
I'm looking to get back into exercise, and I need something low-impact and for beginners. Any suggestions? I have an old set of Winsor Pilates DVDs, but I need something new and fun, and something that will burn more calories.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Are you asking for resistance training or cardio? And what is your goal?
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I like playing Your Fit, Zumba, and different dancing games on my xbox. I know others who have used the 30 days shred and have had a lot of success.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I like playing Your Fit, Zumba, and different dancing games on my xbox. I know others who have used the 30 days shred and have had a lot of success.

30 Day Shred is NOT low impact
  • BethyWill
    Options
    I just got the Hip-Hop-Abs with Shaun T. I've only done the cardio abs two times but so far I like. It actually keeps two clocks running on the bottom of the screen. One is for the thirty minute workout count down and the other is for each segment. I think its a good starting video, but that's just my opinion.

Plus it's nice seeing someone genuinely enjoying themselves like you see on the tape. Good luck in you endeavors.
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds DVDs ... they range from beginner to advanced levels. You can check them out on YouTube to see if you like it :smile:
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The Slim In 6 dvd's are awesome for starters :smile: I love them
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walking videos are light workouts if you've been working out for a while.

Tae Bo and Turbo Jam

Jillian Michaels anything. Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, 30 Day Shred , No More Trouble Zones (These tend to make me lose inches more than weight but I went down a size after 30 Day Shred).

I really enjoy old Richard Simmons videos. They're fun if you don't care to be goofy.

Zumba workouts

10 minute Solution videos are nice as well. I do the yoga, Pilates, and Kickbox bootcamp.

Biggest Loser DVD's

Bob Harper's Beginner's Weight Loss and Ultimate Cardio
  • Lavon_G
    Lavon_G Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The Slim In 6 dvd's are awesome for starters :smile: I love them

Agreed!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in low impact, check out Extreme Makeover Workout. It's broken into 3 sessions much like the 30 Day Shred, but it is designed for people either just starting out or with injuries.

When you're ready for something more aggressive, Jillian Michaels is a good place to start.

My go-to home workout is Bob Harper's Total Body Transformation. It's 60 minutes of hell.
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walking videos are light workouts if you've been working out for a while.

Tae Bo and Turbo Jam

Jillian Michaels anything. Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, 30 Day Shred , No More Trouble Zones (These tend to make me lose inches more than weight but I went down a size after 30 Day Shred).

I really enjoy old Richard Simmons videos. They're fun if you don't care to be goofy.

Zumba workouts

10 minute Solution videos are nice as well. I do the yoga, Pilates, and Kickbox bootcamp.

Biggest Loser DVD's

Bob Harper's Beginner's Weight Loss and Ultimate Cardio

I agree with this post. I really love the Jillian Michaels' DVD's.
  • lsumomma
    lsumomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessblender.com. They have lots of free workout videos.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I found Slim in 6 crushingly boring.
    I've heard those "walk away the pounds" dvds are good low impact exercise, any dance programmes would be nice too... I'm a terrible dancer and I definitely wouldn't do it in public, but it sure as heck makes me sweat!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I went through this workout http://www.ultimatesandbagtrainingstore.com/collections/dvds/products/fusion-dvd this morning. absolutely killer. Used 50 lb sandbag on conjunction with suspension trainer. Amazing workout.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    I put a blog entry up last night with some links to exercise videos, check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rachaelheaney/view/at-home-workouts-links-to-videos-494651

30 Day Shred is always a winner.
  • CoachGwenna
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs is actually on sale right now! It was $59 and they dropped it to $19. Message me if you want more details on that one. Other than that, Tai Cheng is fairly low impact and most people are good doing Power 90 as well.
  • angelatres
    angelatres Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really like the Burlesque by Jazzercise dvd. It's all cardio dancy moves, some are high impact but could be easily modified to be low impact. The music and the moves are Fun and it is a good cardio workout.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Tiffany Rothe workouts on Youtube are really fun and get me sweating and feeling it in my waist
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I'll give another vote to Leslie Sansone. Sure, it's not the most intense workout ever, but she makes it so much fun...and I still sweat while doing it. Maybe it's just me, though.

I did 10 Minute Solutions the other night, the perfect body Pilates one. I didn't think it would be that difficult, but it is HARD. I felt the stretch in my muscles right when I started it. I know there's a bunch of those 10 Minute Solution DVDs...I looked up some clips on YouTube to find the Pilates one that I liked.

I also just got the Piloxing DVD the other day, but haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know how it is when I do.

Hope that helps!
  • beverlyann1726
    beverlyann1726 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I know it's been a long time since I posted this, but I just now got around to getting back on track.

I decided to go with the Slim in 6 for my primary workout. Started it 9/3/2012. A few weeks ago I tried the Hip Hop Abs, but found Shaun T to be a little too goofy for me. And the fact that my 14 year old daughter was rolling on the floor laughing at me while I was doing the workouts. Slim in 6 seems really good for me right now, and my first workout challenged me, but it wasn't too much.