Stretch Marks!

Options
How long does it take for stretch marks to fade? I use Bio Oil, and another type of oil for stretch marks, because I have them on my stomach. But i would just like to know generally how long it will take for them to fade, and if I need to be very consistent with putting the oil on or not. Anything helps, thanks! :)

Replies

• PandaPudges
    Options
    They never will unless you up your vitamin E intake. I used Cocoa butter for ages on mine and they never disappeared and in an emergency with my tattoo, I had to very suddenly up my Vitamin E intake. Only then did they fade!

Almonds, Salmon, Avacado.... I ate gobs and gobs of all three and none of my stretch marks are visible anymore. (I still use my lotion every night before bed. Skin is most absorbent whilst asleep, that is what I've found.)
  • alleshiam
    Options
    Hmm, i've never heard of that before. But very good to know! I had some on my chest before, but they've slowly went away and faded. It just seems the ones on my stomach are VERY hard to get to fade.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    some years. they don't disappear. They go from red/purple to pink to white.
  • PandaPudges
    Options
    Vitamin E (which is the ingredient in bio oil and in my cocoa butter) helps elasticity in the skin. The more elastic the skin, the less red the stretch marks. Since I was about 17 I've had them really bad. Only recently are they gone. Was a great day!

I'd definitely urge you toward almonds, that was my main diet change and they were gone in roughly 2-3 weeks (eating a fair amount of almonds every day... as well as other things) Here's my list of vitamin E rich food...

Walnuts
    Almonds
    Leafy greens
    Peas
    Salmon
    Mackerel
    Flax seed
    Turkey
    Carrots
    Sweet Potatoes
    Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Avocado
    Sunflower Seeds

Plus loads of water and you should be good to go :)
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    back when I was in high school I went through a big weight change (like from 150 lb. to 120 lb.) and I of course was introduced to stretch marks! I bought something called "beautiful belly balm" made by "WiseWays herbals." I got it at whole foods. it is really made for pregnant women or women who were recently pregnant. the stuff worked pretty well at fading the shallow stretch marks over time. It didn't do much though for fading the really small deep stretch marks (like the ones on my upper arms, those just fade with time (around a couple years). My only complaint was that I wasn't crazy about the smell. But it worked better than just using regular cocoa butter.

and yes, consistency helps when applying the balm. Best to put it on at night and sleep with it on.

and the other alternative is cosmetic surgery (laser surgery or dermabrasion if you have the money and fairly recent stretch marks as it doesn't work as well with old stretch marks).
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Vitamin E (which is the ingredient in bio oil and in my cocoa butter) helps elasticity in the skin. The more elastic the skin, the less red the stretch marks. Since I was about 17 I've had them really bad. Only recently are they gone. Was a great day!

I'd definitely urge you toward almonds, that was my main diet change and they were gone in roughly 2-3 weeks (eating a fair amount of almonds every day... as well as other things) Here's my list of vitamin E rich food...

Walnuts
    Almonds
    Leafy greens
    Peas
    Salmon
    Mackerel
    Flax seed
    Turkey
    Carrots
    Sweet Potatoes
    Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Avocado
    Sunflower Seeds

Plus loads of water and you should be good to go :)

Thanks for this never thought eating certain foods could help, may try incorporating some almonds in my diet, anything to help ,i've bad stretch marks across my stomach..hate them!
  • PandaPudges
    Options
    It definitely worked for me. My breasts and stomach had them soooo so bad, but now I am all one colour again! It obviously doesn't erase them, but it does turn them pale... The reason they're red is because of a lack of Vitamin E and there for moisture and elasticity. I upped my water intake a lot as well. How much water do you drink?
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Mine just never went away. At the age of 10 I went from a 70 lb to an almost 40 within 3 weeks due to severe illness and hospitalization. After the recovery and gaining the weight back (which took about 6-8 months though, so it was much slower than the loss) the stretch marks on the side of my thighs never went away.
    If I get a little sun today they become all visible (really white). I doubt I can get rid of them.
  • alleshiam
    Options
    See some on my stomach are white, well they are part white and there's a bit of purple on them too. But than I have other really thick purple ones.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    this thread actually reminded me that I really should start applying some sort of stretch mark balm or cream as I am losing weight to prevent stretch marks.

they say that if you start doing it as soon as you start losing weight you are less like to get them (or in less severity).
  • hydelaa
    hydelaa Posts: 184
    Options
    I used an Avon $8 bottle of stretch mark remover..used it everyday after showering for 6 months and my red stretch marks faded :-)
  • alleshiam
    Options
    Yeah, i have an avon bottle!! I've been using that too, I'm glad to know it works!!