What causes periods of extreme hunger / never feeling full?

I am really curious about this. I have been on an 1800 calorie diet for a while now and I am always satisfied with it but I went through a period last week and through the weekend where, for about 3-4 days, I constantly felt hungry and no matter what I ate or drank I never really felt full. Now, I am back to normal and not feeling like that anymore. I didn't change anything in my routine. So what causes that?

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
  • i'd love to know why too because that happens to me a lot
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    I would log this in relation to your TOM. Some women get hungry just before starting, some mid month, some during. Are bodies tell us different things...... But honestly, look back on a calendar and see if there is any correlation to your cycle?
  • It could be "what" you are eating through out the day. Eating more protein will help you feel full longer. Try that and be sure to chew your food really good , that tricks your mind into thinking you are eating more and it reduces the desire for more food.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Could be that you just needed to drink some water.

Adding more protein into your meals helps as well.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Look at what you are eating. If you are eating 'clean', low-density foods, then 1800 calories should be enough to be stuffed all day (that's like 6-7 pounds of fruits/veggies/lean meats/brown rice/whatever). If you are eating crap, then yes, you'll be hungry, because that's like a cheeseburger and fries.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    tom or refined/sugary carbs do this to me
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    TOM... I'm always starving for a couple of days....
  • I'm a TOM & simple carbs-trigger gal too...too many "cr@p" foods (ie, simple carbs) also makes me nod like a heroin addict! LOL knocks me right out. My body just can't handle all that sugar.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Never mind, reread the thread, question answered.
  • schustc
    One more thing. If I am extremely low on calories one day I am ravenous the next. Sometimes a couple of days after
  • JenMarie8781
    I would log this in relation to your TOM. Some women get hungry just before starting, some mid month, some during. Are bodies tell us different things...... But honestly, look back on a calendar and see if there is any correlation to your cycle?

I actually do keep track of that stuff because we are TTC! It started when I was about 7 days past ovulation. So I wouldn't think it had anything to do with my cycle... unless I'm pregnant. lol.
  • I felt like a bottomless pit last week - I was hungry all the time! It's TOM this week - I think that had something to do with it. Still lost .6 this week, so obviously my body needed some extra fuel.
  • schustc

I actually do keep track of that stuff because we are TTC! It started when I was about 7 days past ovulation. So I wouldn't think it had anything to do with my cycle... unless I'm pregnant. lol.

Actually if u ovulated arounf the 10th to 14th day. 7 days from that puts u around 20ish days and if ur cycle is around day 24 to 28 it could havebbeen pms related and that is a big trigger for me too
  • JenMarie8781

Actually if u ovulated arounf the 10th to 14th day. 7 days from that puts u around 20ish days and if ur cycle is around day 24 to 28 it could havebbeen pms related and that is a big trigger for me too

My period is due June 1st. I started feeling the constant hunger on last Thursday or Friday... so it would have been the 24th or 25th... so idk. It could be that.
  • Hunger doesn't always mean for "food". Your body could be calling for fluid. Also being a female - if it is that time of the month - that would be a major cause. When you follow a diet and keep to it - your body will make many changes. Sometimes it will fight you and sometimes it is actually calling for food. Since you have been doing well these past few weeks without hunger; and being a woman; it could be your body's way of "holding onto the fat". In women especially this is a fight and flight mode. Because we are made to bear children - yadda yadda yadda; us women have a gene that doctors NOW recognize that actually calls to you to eat.

First of all - do not get upset over this and do not make any drastic changes to your diet or begin cheating... You can add some items to your diet as extras as well as make changes in the foods you are eating. Add more protein. Protein is the best to eat when hunger. It provides the body without adding fat. Protein and fullness go hand in hand. This has been proven in the past 20 yrs or so. Eating water soluble foods like breads, crackers or carbs - will digest rather quickly and without letting your body know it is full until you over eat....

Also - add bulky veggies like broccoli, peppers, cauliflower (if you like) as well as green beans as well as carrots. Use a vinegarette as most vinegarettes are thick - between a watery and actual dressing and will not only "stick" to the veggie but to your folk and stomach.

Keep doing this. You should notice that these hungers will change. If it KEEPS happening - then it will mean something else. If you excercise and began exercising around the time this happened - it means that you need to REGULARLY add more food to your diet. Change your profile and recheck off the activity level and see what happens.

Hunger should always be addressed by eating - but eating properly and not crazy.... Keep up the good work :))))
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Could be a few things, but its most likely your body craving a metabolism bump with a few extra calories! Your body can get used to subsisting on 1800 calories a day. Sometimes feeding it a little more actually causes your metabolism to jump as it deals with the extra energy. If you balance it out with a little more exercise, strength or stretching, you won't cut into your loss too much and you'll feel more satisfied.

If you notice the hunger lasts more than a few days, however, or if it becomes painful or gnawing, feeling like your stomach is trying to "eat itself", go see your doctor. I had this happen to me a few years ago, and thought it was just because I was training for a half-marathon and wasn't eating enough. But I began waking up in the middle of the night with a gnawing, unceasing, painful hunger feeling that turned out to be an ulcer. It was easy to treat once I got it diagnosed, but the lesson was to listen to my body! Hunger is one thing - pain is another!
  • What about those of us that are post menopausal? Any advice in this area?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Same thing happens to me the week before my period is due. Then, thankfully, back to normal.