Rewards

Options
I am wondering, is it OK to reward yourself with something when you lose say...50 lbs?? I have a friend who tells me that it is not OK because until you lose it all, you haven't really earned it. Is she right?? My husband told me that at 50 lbs lost I could buy these most adorable Coach shoes that I found and I was really excited but now, I am not sure. What is your take on the whole rewards subject?? Thanks in advance for all the advice!

(P.S. I am a fashion addict!)

Replies

• Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    BUY THE SHOES!!!!! What a great motivation to keep going.. who knows after that you might find an adorable dress to wear with them! Your friend must not know what a great accomplishment it is to loose 50! Congratulations!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, your friends advise is crap. LOL

If a reward keeps you motivated to keep achieving your goals than reward yourself as often as you like.

Just don't reward yourself with food!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hey--if your friend wants to use that mentality for herself, go for it. However, IMO--REWARDS ARE GREAT!!! The whole point is to motivate--so, if getting the shoes now is a good reward and will motivate you to keep going, then DO IT! It's all about what works for you--not someone else. Do whatever will work best for YOU--you are the one doing the work, right?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options

If a reward keeps you motivated to keep achieving your goals than reward yourself as often as you like.

DITTO!
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    YES!! Reward yourself! 50 pounds is an amazing accomplishment and you deserve something special. Not sure what your "friend" is thinking....this is for you, and only you. Enjoy the new shoes!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I reward myself at every paycheck. Reward yourself when you reach each 10 lb. goal. When you reward yourself a little at a time you get more motivated. Delayed gratification isn't worth it. Life gets in the way and by the end of your loss you would have given up before reaching your final goal. I rewarded myself early with new sneakers to motivate me to jog more than once a week. :flowerforyou:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! 50 pounds is great! Don't listen to your friend on this subject.
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Has your friend ever lost 50 pounds?:grumble: Buy the shoes!!! If it were me I would buy the matching bag? BTW Congrats
  • MandyMay
    MandyMay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    DO IT! DO IT!! DO IT!!! GIRL IM TOTALLY GETTING ANOTHER TATTOO WHEN I HIT MY 55LB. MARK...I ALSO BOUGHT SOME EARRINGS FOR MY 20LB WEIGHT LOSS...THATS NOT ON MY TICKER TILL TOMORROWS WEIGH IN..LOL

I SAY GO FOR IT!!
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Get the shoes, 50 pounds is a huge accomplishment! :bigsmile:
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Buy the shoes. When your friend loses 50 lbs he/she can decide whether or not they want a reward.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this post! If a reward helps you fight that little bit more then go for it. I think a 10lb loss is an amazing achievement...nevermind a 50lb lost! It is YOUR change of lifestyle...so ignore jealous comments off people! They just don't want you looking slim and with a "Tan/Manicure/gorgeous hair/ new clothes/ " (whatever your reward may be!) :flowerforyou:

Keep it up...you're doing fantastically :happy:
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    i agree with everybody else - reward yourself.

if you want the shoes for when you get to 50 lbs then have that as your target, but add in other rewards for goals in between i.e every 10 lbs lost etc, this will be a great motivation that you are nearer to your next reward
  • proudarmywifeandmommy
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies!! My friend doesn't need to lose 5 lbs, much less 50. She has never been overweight a day in her life. I get very annoyed at her sometimes because I adore her but she just doesn't understand. This is the girl that gained all of 20 lbs total with her four kids. I don't seek advice from her, she just gives it. LOL That is why I joined MFP. Almost all of my friends are health nuts and don't have weight problems so they just don't understand how I feel.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am wondering, is it OK to reward yourself with something when you lose say...50 lbs?? I have a friend who tells me that it is not OK because until you lose it all, you haven't really earned it. Is she right?? My husband told me that at 50 lbs lost I could buy these most adorable Coach shoes that I found and I was really excited but now, I am not sure. What is your take on the whole rewards subject?? Thanks in advance for all the advice!

(P.S. I am a fashion addict!)

Our goals seem to be about the same amount, so if you're interested in a "weight loss buddy" let me know!
    Everyone works differently. I have to reward myself because I know that I have bigger rewards set up down the line. That said, visit my first blog and you can see all my lists (rewards for X amount of weight lost, food and exercise goals, and motivations to not give up):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Gerkenstein

I hope this helps you! Feel free to friend me!
  • evanlyn
    evanlyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is your journey so it's up to you when you think that you should reward your achievements; there's no rules. For what it's worth, I personally think that small rewards at regular intervals are a better motivator than waiting until you reach your final goal for a big pay off. If you have a lot to lose your target weight could seem like a long way off and your final reward unachievable but aim for an interval goal/reward perhaps every 15lbs and you'll feel great every time you manage to get to the next one. It's worked for me so far - or maybe I've just been looking for excuses to go shopping! :smile:

966281.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods