Losing stubborn weight after menopause

Options
I've always eaten a decent diet, never was a couch potato, but was never in "great shape either, but now after going through menopause, my hormones are most likely whacked a bit and I put on some flab in the Tricep, inner thigh, and tummy. I need to find a way to lose about 10 lbs of weight (fat) while toning up the muscle underneath. I have my calories set to 1350 and I watch the quality of food that goes in (with a small cheat here & there) and make it a point to do 30 minutes of something or other 4x a week or more. I've come down a couple lbs. but seem stuck at one weight for awhile now. It's been a month since I've been tracking the calories and that 1350 is low compared to where i was before I started keeping an eye on things. Any suggestions? Treadmill?

Replies

• weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm also post-menopausal and hear you on trying to lose weight. For me, the best combination has been watching what I eat and walking, I've found doing a really good walk nearly every day has not only toned everything up, it's kick started the weight loss. I also calorie cycle and by that I mean one week I have low calories (1200) and the next week I increase up to 1500 so that our bodies don't get accustomed to the same amount of food all the time, it keeps our bodies guessing and stops it from settling into a plateau. Good luck...
  • strongwalker
    Options
    I am right there with you:)!!! Same.menopause..want to lose 10 pounds. I'm trying to put more intervals into my workouts on the treadmill. We will see how that goes. I've got my calorie intake goal set at 1450. I've heard others talk about being stuck at a weight, but then when they upped their calories...by about 200....they saw results. I don't really know. I'm just starting and trying to be diligent at the moment. Good luck!! I'm sure some other seasoned losers will have better suggestions.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    At 57 and post-menopausal, your calorie needs are considerably less than they were in your 20s and 30s. If you are really short on top of it, your maintenance without exercise might not be much over your calorie goal, and since most people underestimate their calories consumed by 10% or more, and the 'cheats' here and there that you mentioned, you might be actually eating at maintenance level.
    I would suggest that you be very diligent in weighing and measuring foods, write down every thing you eat, no matter how small, get in as much activity as you can, and then just be patient. You have so little to lose, that 1/2 pound a week will be a lot for you.

You might also want to incorporate some weight lifting, or weight-bearing exercises into your routine to help maintain muscle mass and strengthen your bones and muscles.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Add some strength training in your exercise routine.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How often are you lifting weights?

I'd also look at finding out your BMR and TDEE, and eat at no more than 20% under your TDEE.

This is a great link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

But, I would also talk to your doctor.
  • tuck11er
    Options
    I have treadmill which I use regularly but do assorted video workouts throughout the week which incorporate free weights or bands. When I can get my butt out into the cold, I DO have a Y membership that allows me to use various machines. Better attendance in better weather, sadly!
  • Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. For me my energy levels are almost non-existent now. I even have to have a nap at work sometimes when I've had a bad night or I'll likely fall over :) and then I'd have a really bad day <yikes>

But walking and I mean the "late-for-an-appointment" type of walking works wonders for me. I work at a university so whenever I have a meeting somewhere or if I'm on a break I walk like it's an emergency to get to where I have to be. For toning and strength I keep rubber tubing and my yoga mat at work and do stretching and easy yoga moves (and yes I wear office attire) just to keep my body in constant motion.

I also give my TAs (transverse abdominals) a good workout while I'm at my desk. The exercises won't get rid of the tummy that quickly but they will help tone up that band of middle muscles that start to get weaker over time. It all seems so against my nature, but just like the paleo diet, our bodies just don't seem to have kept up with our way of living so we have to compensate by finding ways to overcome our propensity to gain weight after menopause.