Accuracy in my fitness pal exercise calculations?

I know that the calories burned tool is not very accurate on the site, and I don't currently have the money for a HRM, so I have been cutting the time in half before calculating. I was wondering what other people do for this?

Replies

• stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    I take what the machine says and check what MFP says, try to find the happy middle and try not to eat back more than 50-75% of the workout calories. It has been working so far.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    I add it, then try to eat only a portion of them back. I portion, meaning I eat within the range, but don't get too fixated on the number.
  • Consider getting a ft4 hrm...along with fitnesspal..works really well..ive lost 8 pounds in two weeks
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    I have an HRM, but didn't for a long time in the beginning.

My plan was, over estimate how many calories I ate, under estimate how many exercise calories I burned, and only eat back around half of those. For the most part, that worked. I was even more successful by cutting my carbs a bit and cutting sugar considerably.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    I google Calories burned doing __________the type of dvd or workout I did and then look for the site that says Livestrong and it ususally gives you a pretty accurate count per hr of doing that and then I just cut it in half if I do a 30 min workout etc. That one seems to be most accurate one I have found so far online and lists most workouts and workout dvds.
  • susandslp
    susandslp Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. Trying to learn to use this site. No problems with cardio, but I can't figure out how to do strength. Any tips? I work out at a gym twice a week, but not exactly the same way every time, so I wanted to put in just 60 minutes weight training circuit. It is in the database, but I can't seem to access the database to select this as an exercise when in strength training section, or in "my exercises", There must be a way to select from the database into "my exercises" and then select from there for the daily exercise record, but damned if I can fiigure this out. I can't see my self going through and entering each individual chest press and situp, not right now anyway. I don't even know the names of some of them. TRX and Gravitron weren't in the database. ETC. Any tips you may have would be3 most welcome. Thanks.
  • I use the Polar watch/transmitter & like it alot better than guessing on here..I love knowing really how much I'm burning during class & workouts on my own:-)