help with shin splints

I have self diagnosed myself with shin splints. I am 47, 5'9" and currently weigh 166-168 pounds. I started my journey back in Nov. 2012. I have lived a sedentary lifestyle over the past several years. When I joined a gym, I decided I wanted to become a runner. Along with lifting weights, I started running on the treadmill three to four times a week. I was doing 30-40 minutes of interval training. I started having shin pain that wasn't going away so I switched to doing my cardio on a cycle. The pain went away and two weeks ago I found the C25K application and started that. My intervals are 3.4mph walking and 6mph running.
I am on w2d3 and the shin pain is back.
Should I go back to cycling again for a couple more weeks, or continue with running? I make sure I am stretching after my workout and again later in the day. I have decent running shoes. I have been taking glucos & chron. supplements for the past week. Maybe I should suck it up and just go to the doctor?
Thanks
Linda
I would add that I have researched running form and have been concentrating on landing properly on my foot.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I'm also interested in any replies. I have been running for nearly 2 years, and lately I have only been doing one run per week - but I am running further than ever before. My weekly mileage with just one run is approaching the average I had over the summer when I was running 3x per week. The last 2 weeks, I have not had much pain in my shins, and with only 1 run per week, it's had time to heal up before the next run. The shin pain is part of why I'm only doing 1 run per week. Also, I'm kind of lazy. I do mean to try to incorporate a second run each week - any time now. Now, I would just suck it up and ignore the pain if I could be sure it's just my muscles adapting, but I'm more than a little terrified about stress fractures. With the pain going away in less than a week, I'm pretty sure it's not broken bones. When I was running 3x a week, my shins felt so bruised, down to the bone, that the cats would walk on me and I was sure my legs would shatter. I am most comfortable running in an old beat-up pair of Champions with very little support that I bought at Payless about 10 years ago. My expensive running shoes are not too close of a second choice. Stretching helped with hip pain and calf pain, but not so much for the shin pain. Also, I'm a very slow runner. Today's six miles took 81:29. Faster than my usual 14 minute mile, but not by much.

I wouldn't think glucosamine and chondroitin would do much for shin splints. I'm pretty sure it's usually a muscle thing, and those supplements are for your joints. Unless it's a bone thing. And nothing but rest is good for that, right? Calcium?

Since it's shin muscles - have you tried concentrating on not lifting your toes so much? I'm also hearing that ice and massage are good therapies. But I am resistant to the idea of ice, and there's no way I could massage my shins when they hurt that bad. How long does it take for your shins to feel better after a run? I'll certainly let you know if my shin splints get worse when I add that second run - if I ever get around to that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    How much are you stretching?

1 min per stretch, no bouncing.

See these:
    http://prestoncityrunners.heshewe.me.uk/2011/02/09/the-hard-road/
  • I used to have bad shin pain during walking/running in C25K. Here are two things that gave me complete relief: First, make sure to stretch and warm up your ankles, shins, and calves before exercise. You can do this sitting in a recliner with your legs horizontal to floor. As best you can, rotate your feet in a circular motion, pulling your toes toward your knee for half the circle and pushing your toes as far away from your body for the other half of the circle. Do this for about 30 seconds clockwise and 30 seconds counterclockwise and you should be good to go. Second, to help minimize cramps, make sure to stay well hydrated and replenish electrolytes you lose from sweating.
  • Most people I've seen with shin splints seem to have one of two main problems: tight gastroc/soleus (calf muscles), or pronated feet (flat feet, either at rest or pronating when running). I'd make sure you do both gastroc and soleus stretching after running (knee bent and knee straight), and then look into your shoes as well. See if you can have someone with experience look at your foot position at rest and while running in the shoes you currently have. Make sure you are not letting that arch collapse in - if you do, it puts stress on your muscles and can cause pain. If you do have this problem, it's important to have shoes that are well suited to your feet - you can also try inserts. The other thing I'd look at is ankle strength, particularly in foot intrinsics (the deep muscles in your feet that help give support) and ankle inverters.
  • I had chronic shin splints - my fix was custom orthotics to stop pronation and strength training for legs like lunges and squats...but I recommend seeing a podiatrist to check your gait.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Our exercise guru suggested making certain that you have at least a 1% incline on the treadmill. If you think about the angle of your foot to ankle it makes sense to at least try it.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Agree with the above comments.

I've suffered a stress fracture through ignoring shin splints 3 years ago. So I'd add to rest and cycle until the pain goes away, like you did before. Then you can implement the rehab exercises and changes suggested above for your return to running.
  • ggeggy
    ggeggy Posts: 1 Member
    This is what I do for my shin splits...and remarkably, it works! Take a golf ball and massage the underneath of your foot back and forth, putting as much weight on it as you can handle. Do this for 5 min, a few times a day. This doesn't work with a tennis ball or anything else. It must be a really hard ball and a golf ball is perfect. Apparently, this loosens up and stretches the muscles that tie your calf to the under your feet. I saw a guy doing this on a youtube video - didn't believe it - until I tried it myself....good luck!
  • Aktyrrell
    Aktyrrell Posts: 2 Member
    Research your shoes. I also had shin splints and was recommended Asic Kayano series. I am on my 4th pair and pain free! I average over 500 miles per year.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Research your shoes. I also had shin splints and was recommended Asic Kayano series. I am on my 4th pair and pain free! I average over 500 miles per year.

^^Agreed. Don't skimp on running shoes
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    mine went away when I bought properly fitted running shoes for over pronation, I use mizuno wave inspire 8s
  • I too have suffered from shin splints, a few things I learnt which have helped cure or at least lessen the pain are:

1. Make sure your shoes offer the right type of support, get your running gait, checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
    2. Learn to run on the balls of your feet, not heel impact rolling to toes, just ball of the foot to toes. This allows youur foot to absorb the impact of running, just like you would if you ran bare foot.
    3. Stretching, kneel down on the floor with your heels under your butt, point your toes out so the top of your foot is on the floor, sit there for a few mins (upto 5 mins) This will stretch the muscles running down the front of your shins.
    4. Get a golf ball and with a socked foot and the golf ball on the floor spend a few minutes rolling the ball round without letting the ball go, do it on a carpeted floor or other surface that will stop the ball rolling away. This massages the shin muscle connectors under the foot.
    5. R.I.C.E, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate
    6. Use compression socks or shin guards, these are good at helping offer support after training, I don't personally think they help with recovery but do support and hold muscles under a certain amount of pressure that I think cuts down on inflammation.

2 months ago I couldn't run 500m without being in severe pain from shin splints, now I comfortably run for 1-2 hours at 12kph and walk away with no pain . I'm not saying this will work for everyone, its just what I found worked for me, some or all may or may not be of help, only one way to find out :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't like to contradict a whole lot of people on here, but . . . . you may pronate. But, you may not. I have no over-pronation or any trouble with my landing or my gait, and I have had shin splints. I got them when I wore good shoes.
    The point being: Shin splints are just an over-use injury. You get them, and you have to cut back or rest to get them to heal. Sometimes it takes a while. Stretching can help, but it will not miraculously make them go away; it will only help them heal, and, perhaps, help prevent them from coming back.
    Also, they say that shin compression sleeves can help with shin splints. But, again, I suspect that they help, maybe. They don't cure.
  • How much are you stretching?

1 min per stretch, no bouncing.

See these:
    http://prestoncityrunners.heshewe.me.uk/2011/02/09/the-hard-road/

Thanks...I'll check out the link. I usually do 30 second stretch then switch to the other side for 30 seconds. Then repeat. I don't bounce either.
  • Research your shoes. I also had shin splints and was recommended Asic Kayano series. I am on my 4th pair and pain free! I average over 500 miles per year.

^^Agreed. Don't skimp on running shoes

I have a pair of Asic Kayano 19's and I love them. The guy at the running store said that my gait should be suited to these shoes (I did the gait evaluation after I had already purchased the shoes). He said that if I start having knee pain, he would recommend something with less arch support.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! I will definately spend some more time doing research and the reccommended exercises. I think I will also check out another local running store and have them do another gait evaluation.
    Thanks again!
  • I have the ultimate solution...

Please stop heel striking.

Start landing midfoot/forefoot instead of on your heel and it will go away/never happen again.

At one point 2 years ago I couldn't run for longer than 10 minutes due to the pain of shin splints. I learned that heel striking causes a plethora of problems including shin splints. So I stopped heel striking and kept my feet under me and went from 10 minute to 1 hour.

I really need to copy paste this same response to heel striker pain.
  • I have the ultimate solution...

Please stop heel striking.

Start landing midfoot/forefoot instead of on your heel and it will go away/never happen again.

I am not heel striking. When I started running after my two week of cycling, I made sure that I was running with proper form. I am very aware of how I am landing and pushing off my foot.

Observation......today at the gym I walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes and then did my lower body lifting routine. Then I spent 30 minutes cycling. I really wanted to get a good workout in today because tomorrow is a rest day, so I went back to the treadmill. I was going to skip c25k but thought I would try it and see how I did. I didn't have any shin pain while running. The only time I actually have pain is when I touch or palpate my shins (or when I bump them). They are tender. I don't have pain while walking.

Again, thanks for your responses.