Foods with sugar listed second in the ingredients...??

I read on here once not sure where I came across it now but foods listed with sugar as a second ingredient should generally be avoided...well for a healthy eating plan, just wondering do many of you follow this when buying foods do you try to avoid sugar as much as you can and have success?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    In ingredients list, the ingredients are listed in order, based on how much of the item is in the item.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Why only second and not first? By that logic I can have as much pure sugar as I want but I can't have a squeeze of ketchup!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I tend to not pay attention to that. There is no need to watch your sugar as long as you don't have any medical issues with sugar.

I get the majority of my sugar from fruits though.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Why only second and not first? By that logic I can have as much pure sugar as I want but I can't have a squeeze of ketchup!

Sorry to clarify that I didn't say first cause usually stuff listed with sugar first would be a no-go anyway, i'm just wondering about products that are supposedly healthy with it listed as a second...like cereal for example.

Thanks for the replies, not much of a concern anyway. Its just one of the smaller things in the bigger picture.
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    I went to a doctor who only give me 25 grams of sugar per day that do not come from fruit, veggies or beans. This puts me in the habit of looking at sugar grams. I don't drink soda, ever (I haven't since the 90's) This past summer I went to an outdoor party and all they had was soda, no water - I almost died when I read the side of the can.

The doctor did not prohibit any food with sugar, so it didn't matter if it was an actual teaspoon of sugar, it was the total sugar grams for the day.
  • WendyTerry420 is right, it means that whatever you're looking at is mostly sugar and probably refined sugar which is bad for you. Also avoid corn syrup and it's derivatives like the plague, it's even worse!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    WendyTerry420 is right, it means that whatever you're looking at is mostly sugar and probably refined sugar which is bad for you. Also avoid corn syrup and it's derivatives like the plague, it's even worse!

no. if you don't have diabetes, then sugar is not bad for you. too much daily sugar intake may make it hard for you to stick to your daily calorie goal, but the sugar itself is not bad for you.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    WendyTerry420 is right, it means that whatever you're looking at is mostly sugar and probably refined sugar which is bad for you. Also avoid corn syrup and it's derivatives like the plague, it's even worse!

no. if you don't have diabetes, then sugar is not bad for you. too much daily sugar intake may make it hard for you to stick to your daily calorie goal, but the sugar itself is not bad for you.

THIS!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member

Sorry to clarify that I didn't say first cause usually stuff listed with sugar first would be a no-go anyway, i'm just wondering about products that are supposedly healthy with it listed as a second...like cereal for example.

Thanks for the replies, not much of a concern anyway. Its just one of the smaller things in the bigger picture.

Ah that makes more sense now!
  • WendyTerry420 is right, it means that whatever you're looking at is mostly sugar and probably refined sugar which is bad for you. Also avoid corn syrup and it's derivatives like the plague, it's even worse!

To clarify, I did say "refined" sugar is bad for you, not ALL sugar

http://life.familyeducation.com/nutrition-and-diet/foods/36008.html?page=3&detoured=1
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    I just try and compare my options. We usually buy whatever the item is that has the least amount of sugar, without being full of artificial crap.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I've always found this silly.. You can't tell HOW MUCH of something is in it. Yes the ingredients are listed in order but it still doesn't tell you HOW MUCH. One item could have 5 ingredients, but the first ingredient is 99.99 % of the product and the other four ingredients are in very small amounts. Likewise the first ingredient could be slightly more than the second ingredient. I find the carbs/fat/protein to be much more informative and helpful. Better yet. Don't buy foods with "ingredients" just buy single ingredient foods and make the stuff yourself..