Broccoli and Spinach Calories??

Options
Hi all...

I often make green shakes - where I will add Broccoli and/or Spinach to almond milk, whey protein and flax (sometimes PB2 or peanut butter) - I typically do NOT count the calories for Broccoli and Spinach - should I?

I think they are minimal and of all the things to eat and not count I assume this is ok (e.g., it's not like having a donut <understatement> ... thoughts...opinions? I Probably eat 2 cups of broccoli and 2-3 cups of spinach per day...

Replies

• MJMARIN81
    Options
    I'm with you I don't think they hold much in the sense of calories to worry bout adding them or not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm having 2 servings of broccoli right now...it's 60 calories. If I ate my goal calories of 2,150 without veggies and then said I don't have to count my veggies and had my not unusual 220 calories or so worth of veggies on top of what I'd already eaten...well, I'd be about 220 calories over my goal...which would put me at about 1/2 Lb per week weight loss instead of 1 Lb per week weight loss. To each their own, but if it gets in my belly, it gets in my diary. There's no such thing as free calories. A calorie is a calorie, your body doesn't care if it comes from a piece of cake or a piece of broccoli. Of course, nutrition wise is a whole different discussion.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but if it gets in my belly, it gets in my diary. .

this

otherwise i'd be snacking on 'stuff i don't have to log' all the freaking time :laugh: add it. it's filling you up and if you don't thats a bunch of calories you have to re-eat if you're trying to max out your goal.
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    If I eat it I add it, it was deciding that certain calories didn't count that got me where I am today :-)
  • bmwauug
    bmwauug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah - NO snacking for me at all - this is the only give, and i am almost always well under my cal goal (low carb, high protein, etc.) - and work out religiously...but good points. I'll start counting them in!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Not much in the way of calories, true, but I would add them if you ever look at your nutrition breakdown (vitamins, minerals, fiber).
  • bmwauug
    bmwauug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So i added 2OZ of Spinnach and Broccoli nets out to about ~50 Calories....or 350-400 in a week. I normally brun around 500 calories per day working out - and don't eat those back. Probably not worth counting IMO.