I'm so confused!

Options
Hi there:

I'm new here (and to diet and exercise lifestyle changes), and am really confused about the appropriate calculations for healthy, steady, long-term weight loss.

I started this journey on Jan. 4 and MFP suggested a daily goal of 1470 calories. With a couple of days' exceptions, I've kept to that, and--also with a couple of days' exceptions--been exercising daily. The caloric calculators I've found (I've talked to food scientist and nutritionist friends, who concur with my research) all say that, to lose weight at 1-2 lbs per week (my goal), I should averaging about 2200 calories daily! (I'm 257 lbs and 5'9).

So here's the rub: If I'm eating about 1470 calories a day, and burning 500-1,000 calories daily, why am I only losing about 1-1.5 lbs per week?

I'm NOT trying to rush things (although I am impatient by nature); I just feel like the math isn't adding up somewhere. And, worse, maybe I'm doing something wrong because, on paper, it looks like I should be losing a lot more weight.... (16 lbs so far)

I can't ... won't ... lessen my caloric intake, and I don't think I could burn any more calories in a day without injuring myself. So I'm a bit of a loss.

Does the above plan seem effective to those who have been doing this longer? Do you have any suggestions on anything I should be doing better or differently?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    1 to 1.5 lbs per week is a very healthy rate. If you lose slowly you will be more likely to keep it off and be able to maintain. It sounds to me like you are doing it right!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you find what your bmr is and tdee is and eat between those 2 numbers .......scoobydoworkshop.com is a great calculator to find out .......GOOD LUCK
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? If you do, that will take you closer to the goal other sites give you. Many people eat 50-75% of them rather than 100% to account for inaccuracies while others find eating 100% works for them. If you're not eating them, you're not meeting the goal MFP has set for you based on the information you put in.

ETA: If you use MFP as intended and eat those calories, your loss will likely be closer to your goal. With nearly 100 pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week is fine. But adjust as you lose weight. Around 75 pounds I would adjust to about 1.5lb/wk, 50 1lb/wk, 20-25 .5lb/wk.
  • echamin
    echamin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    2200 sounds more like maintenance to me but I could be wrong. Concur with IttyBittyBado. :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1-1.5 pounds corresponds to 1000 to 1250 calorie deficit. If you're making errors in your calculations (be it burned or consumed) then your numbers will be off. I am curious as to why you're eating so few calories though.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    TeenTwinkleToes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories your doctors are suggesting...usually that's to keep a steady weight instead of losing it. I'm 5'6 255 pounds and my intake is 1800....though remember when you lose calories through exercise your supposed to still consume them. Always go by your Net...though if your full than your full don't over fill yourself!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    thanks echamin I wrote the link wrong ooops :blushing:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    sounds to me you are looking for a way out,
    Sorry, but you need to make a plan and stick to it.
    2 weeks, 4 weeks is nothing compare to a life plan
    some people come to this sight and expect fast results, it is not fast
    There are many of us that have chosen to make the changes
    are lives need. It is not easy!
    It is very hard, But what 1 person can do another can do better!
    It is so worth it, good luck to you
  • sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So if I understand you correctly, you have only lost 16 lbs since Jan? That's 2 months. if so, in the next two months you'll be down 38, that sounds pretty good to me.

I am following a similar plan. 1420 Cal, and Exercise about 800 Cals a day. I don't think I can eat 2200 a day and lose anything, but that's just me.

We are all different and our bodies react differently to this eating better and exercise thing. If you are moving in the right direction, even if it's slower than you'd like, remember (and this stinks-but it's probably true) it took a while to gain this weight, so it will take a while to get rid of it.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    2200 sounds more like maintenance to me but I could be wrong. Concur with IttyBittyBado. :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I agree with this :) 2200 seems more like your TDEE, to loose weight alot of people recommend using your TDEE -20%.

Also, I ate at a calorie deficient for nearly 4 weeks before I noticed the scale dropping so don't get discouraged :)
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately weight loss isn't an exact science. You can just plug in numbers and expect the results to be the same. There's no point in stressing about that.

Your profile shows you've lost 17 pounds. I have also lost 17 pounds since January 1st. (you say you started Jan 4). So for me, that's 7 weeks which is more than 2 pounds a week average. I don't understand how you're saying less? And really, that's a fabulous number and result.

You definitely don't need to eat less. If you're only eating less than 1500 and burning 500 on top that is way too low (unless you're eating back exercise calories). All you need is to be patient and realize just because your math shows a deficit of 14,000 calories in a week doesn't mean your body will be 4 pounds less. It'll never be exact.
  • scaiter
    scaiter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I hadn't really understood (actually, still don't) the BMR/TDEE/net calorie relationship. I adjusted my goals yesterday and today ate about 1,000 calories more than I have been. Probably not wise. So obviously I need to get in touch with my body and its needs a little better. :)

Thanks again.