Ways to use coconut water?

Options
I fell for the hype and bought a litre of coconut water to try, but it tasted absolutely disgusting!! Any ideas for how I can use it whilst disguising the taste? It'd be a shame to waste it, because it was quite expensive.

Replies

• HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You could use it in a smoothie, or Thai curry? I suppose if you added cornflour to the water to thicken it, it would be a healthier option than coconut milk, or cream. Also, iv heard of people using it to boil plain rice, instead of normal water.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    You could use it in a smoothie, or Thai curry? I suppose if you added cornflour to the water to thicken it, it would be a healthier option than coconut milk, or cream. Also, iv heard of people using it to boil plain rice, instead of normal water.

I can't believe I didn't think of putting it in a smoothie... HAHA! Thanks. :)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Fill the toilet bowl?

I feel the same way about it.

Coconut Milk = Delicious!!

Coconut Water = NOT!!
  • Sweetbelle159
    Sweetbelle159 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Same same...I use it in my protein smoothie
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I fell for the hype and bought a litre of coconut water to try, but it tasted absolutely disgusting!! Any ideas for how I can use it whilst disguising the taste? It'd be a shame to waste it, because it was quite expensive.

Might be a little off or is possibly from an older coconut. Mature coconut water - bleugggh! The fresher it is (from a young coconut), the better it tastes. Kinda like apples - crisp Vs floury.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    Its an acquired taste. It is amazingly health Don't give up. There are flavored ones you can also try. I prefer mine with Rum.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is only good when it comes right out of the coconut. From a carton or can, it tastes like disappointment and rage.
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    Its an acquired taste. It is amazingly health Don't give up. There are flavored ones you can also try. I prefer mine with Rum.

Yes, I agree. I hated coconut water originally, but after giving it a few more tries, I like it now. I say keep trying.

I also prefer the coconut water with a little bit of coconut flesh in it, too.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    Coconut water is only good when it comes right out of the coconut. From a carton or can, it tastes like disappointment and rage.

It's just in a carton! 100% pure coconut water. I've tried it fresh from a coconut before, and it was lovely, thought it would taste like that. I was mistaken.

That's exactly what drew me in! The only flavoured one I can get in the UK is pineapple though, and I hate pineapple... Some kind of rum concoction sounds good though, haha!

Thanks for all the answers guys! Gonna give it a go in a smoothie tomorrow morning. :smile:
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i like it darn cold
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    So true
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Select brands are alright, granted that many assume to truly know the genuine taste of a fresh young coconut, which I'll dare say, is impossible, for one young coconut to the next, even from within the same coconut plantation will taste different. To conceptualise the integrity of a young coconut flesh/water flavour profile, one has to accept that its all about the fruits of one coconut tree vs another.

Edited to add: Homemade powdered fruit flavourings will greatly benefit your palate, I agree.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    Options
    You could also use it for a healthy alternative to a piña colada,or even make ice cubes! :) I can't even find this water in the UK lol
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    You could also use it for a healthy alternative to a piña colada,or even make ice cubes! :) I can't even find this water in the UK lol

Tesco usually have Vita Coco and Zico here. Holland & Barratt too. But I'm in NI, not the mainland.
    My recommendation would obviously be to get the small one first and see if you like it though.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    Options
    I haven't seen it in H&B, so I'll have to look in Tesco. I probably won't like it but I only ever drink tea, or coffee which isnt good, as i hate normal water so I guess this coconut stuff is worth a try haha thank you :)
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I bought some in a carton as well and found it digusting. I still have it in fridge staring at me. Sigh.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    I'm shocked....lol I LOVE coconut water. It's so refreshing. I love it on hot summer days, it really quenches my thirst. I love it with the pulp in it. I usually get it from Mexican stores :P
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    maybe add some to vanilla ice cream and make a smoothie lol coconut ice cream/??? lol

or cook wtih it why not make coconut rice??

idk i only buy real coconuts and drink the water
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I fell for the hype too. It smells so delicious. Tastes not so delicious. A huge disappointment.

I like the idea of using to cook rice and will check into that to get rid of the partial carton I have.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Cut it with juices, so you still get the electrolyte benefits, but the taste is now negligible.