I must be doing something wrong...please help!!

Options
I am sure most of you can understand my frustration, but I really need to vent a little bit.
I have always been a healthy eater and I have always enjoyed working out. My problem before (joining MFP) was eating too few calories (lose weight initially but then started gaining), but I have since changed my eating habits and I am eating more, staying within my calories set forth by MFP. When I wasn't seeing results, I changed things up even more and added more calories to my day/lowered my sodium intake/ changed up my exercise routine.

So here is my problem, for the past 2 weeks, I have not stepped on a scale. Also within that time, I have added the 30 Day Shred to my workout routine (as well as changing up my routine at the gym) and I have been pretty good with my calories. So after 2 weeks of not stepping on the scale, I did so this morning and I GAINED 2 pounds. I also took my measurements and even that increased (almost an inch on all parts of my body that I measure).

So please help me, what else should I do. I am not going to quit, but I am SO frustrated and discouraged. I was almost certain that I had lost weight and was looking foward to seeing a lower number on the scale this morning. I think this coming week I am going to try and calorie cycle (do lower calories one day/higher calories the next). Please any suggestions/words of encouragement. It just seems to work for other people but not for me.

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Before you freak out try to measure and weigh again tomorrow. Our bodies are strange sometimes. I have days where I'm bigger than others and the next day I'm right back down. It's possible you jumped on the scale, tape measure in hand, on a bad day... It seems like you're doing what you should be, just keep with it.
  • Topsurf3
    Topsurf3 Posts: 17
    Options
    Are you eating all of your calories? If you don't you will go into starvation mode. Also, are you watching your sugar intake?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Don't step on the scale for another week and keep doing what you're doing. Make sure you're drinking your water every day. You could be holding water in your muscles (if the exercise is strenuous) or it could be close to your TOM. Either thing could cause you to hold a couple of extra pounds that could just literally disappear overnight. I have so many fluctuations in my weight it's not even funny. I could be 5 pounds over at night before I go to bed and then be right where I should be when I wake up in the morning. Hormones, sodium, lack of water, lack of sleep, and exercise can cause many weight fluctuations.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You just changed your exercise routine and from what I hear the 30 day shred is an intense workout it might be that you are retaining water. Are your muscles sore? If so than your body may be holding onto water to repair the muscles. Sounds like you are doing great keep up your hard work it will pay off.
  • crystal3000
    crystal3000 Posts: 33
    Options
    I totally understand your frustrations. I went through the same thing. I had to find out what diet and exercises worked for me. Things that worked for me a year ago doesn't work anymore. So watch your sugar intake, portion control, and when you are eating. Don't eat to late. When you weigh don't have anything to eat or drink before you weigh. Keep going and don't stop..You may need to experiment on a few things until you find out what works for your body. You can do it...Its ok to be discouraged sometimes we all have been there, but the most important thing is to stay focused don't get side tracked and PUSH!!!! :-) We are here for you!!!
  • lisa06b
    lisa06b Posts: 11
    Options
    The scale is funny that way... I weigh-in 3 to 4 times a week just to see how my body is reacting on the scale and have found that for me, by doing this I can see how much the foods that I eat, the way I exercise and how much water I drink ALL change the way the scale moves! My weight is not comming off like I thought it would, but I am seeing a change in my body. I have lost 11 lbs in 2 months which I don't see as that great....yet I my estimated body fat has dropped by 10% this I think is amazing!!!!:happy: Keep it up you will see a change!!!
  • austinusn
    austinusn Posts: 38
    Options
    I agree with Topsurf as well... watch your sugar intake and make sure you're not flooding your body with sugar. That was the trick for me after a few years of frustration --- i would watch my calories, fat, did a lot of gym work and lots of running (1/2 marathons and such) but still could not come down in weight. after i sought the help of a nutrionalist she discovered that i was putting too much sugar into my system. i've been monitoring that and have had a lot better results.

also agree, the scale is a funny thing. i can see a 3-4 lb change. important to weigh yourself at the same time everyday and don't get too hung up in the numbers. check out how your clothes fit as well.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's your muscles holding water. Give your body a couple weeks to get used to the new exercise and then weigh and measure.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting to believe that eating your workout calories, though it works for some people, it doesn't work for all. I think it really depends on your metabolism.

I tried eating my workout calories for a week and gained, so now I'm eating less. That is what works for me. I think that when you eat healthy to begin with, its also more difficult because your "new" diet isn't as much of a shock to your system.

Good luck!