Weight lifting and health

Options
Right this may sound like a strange one but does anyone get ill while weight lifting?

For years i trained in gyms but got ill every few months so i gave it up and started running outside, I had one cold in four years.

Five weeks ago i started back at the gym just training lightly then last week started training intensely, Sure enough i can feel the start of a sore throat with with past experience normally leads to a throat infection.

Anyone else experienced or suffered with anything like this?

thanks.

Replies

• Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Right this may sound like a strange one but does anyone get ill while weight lifting?

thanks.

No.

Maybe your body is not disposed to public gyms.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats what i was kind of thinking but its only when i train hard, If i go easy i tend to be ok.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thoughts:
    1. Make sure you wipe down the equipment with sanitizer before using it.
    2. Auto-immune disorder?
    3. Most likely, a coincidence.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Recovering from heavy lifting sessions tends to leave my immune system a bit weaker. Not so much that I worry about it, but enough that I notice. I just increase calories whenever I'm sensing an issue coming on
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Probably putting your body on overload by not eating enough. Or just catching germs at the gym
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have joined a different gym 3 times in my life and dropped out after catching flu each time within weeks of joining. Considering I never caught the flu when I participated in dance classes there may be something to the idea that the "immune system a bit weaker" after lifting.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Gym's are nasty places. I can't recall the number but supposedly gym equipment is 20x more germ laden than public bathrooms.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, thought i was the only one.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have joined a different gym 3 times in my life and dropped out after catching flu each time within weeks of joining. Considering I never caught the flu when I participated in dance classes there may be something to the idea that the "immune system a bit weaker" after lifting.

Or how much you touched the other dancer's equipment...