Personal question. . .

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
All right, every time that I go to any kind of a sit down restaurant, doesn't matter if it is fast food or buffet or fine dining, and order my meal, I am trying to be conscientious about the number of calories and amount of sodium that I am putting in my body and try my best not to get something TOO high in either category, if it can be helped. But without fail, no matter what I eat, salad, veggies, or meat, since it was not prepared at my house, for some reason, I have been having problems with my stomach not exactly agreeing with it and my having to go to the bathroom several times over the next few hours to get rid of it. I find that it more often happens when I go to fast food restaurants EVEN if I order a salad and get it grilled with NO DRESSING. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what remedy is there?
Please help, I am still trying to lose weight, but don't want to have to eat EVERY meal for the rest of my life at my house!!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am there with you. I have stopped going out to eat, for the most part. My stomach is very sensitive to fat content and freshness of foods. Your not alone. I don't know how to fix it so I just stopped doing it to myself since it isn't worth it.
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    Is is possible that it's anxiety? You are so focused and worried about the cals, salt etc. that you stimulate your bowels? I know I sometimes have those issues. Just a thought.
  • gamommy2two
    Options
    I have the same problem. Anytime I eat something that is from a restaurant and/or not what I know I should be eating....I can instantly feel it in my stomach. I have no advice, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone in it.
  • BamaRose0107
    BamaRose0107 Posts: 635
    Options
    Is is possible that it's anxiety? You are so focused and worried about the cals, salt etc. that you stimulate your bowels? I know I sometimes have those issues. Just a thought.

This is what happened to me. I would feel so guilty about not eating what I thought I was supposed to and the guilt and anxiety would make me sick, not the food. I try to tell myself that I am human and I am not going to be able to eat perfectly every minute of every day and be happy. When I go out to eat it is a treat and I fully aware of the fact that I am not going to be eating as healthy as normal and that it is ok. Now I can have my treats every once in a while and enjoy them and I don't even worry about the calories, salt ect. Its just one meal.
  • Rensco
    Rensco Posts: 36
    Options
    I've had a similar problem when I eat fast food now - doesn't matter what the fat or calorie content, just doesn't agree. Not so bad with sit down restaurants, but I look up nutrition info before I go there and it seems to work. Don't know why it doesn't with fast food. Anyhow, I've found that I have to just not eat at fast food restaurants - if I go with my kids on happy meal night at McD's then I take food with me to eat there or just get a drink and eat before/after we go. Stinks sometimes but yah, the stomach issues after just aren't worth it.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    There are so many preservatives in resaurant food and yes parasites! Huge studies are quietly conducted on the handling of produce, especially the prewashed, ready to eat stuff that both restaurants procure as well as what we buy from the grocer. So disgusting as it is, your body is riiding itself quickly of these things. Then in the case of the restaurant you are at the complete mercy of the handlers personal hygiene and the preparation stations cleanliness in addition to the food itself.

You could feel high and mighty, like your body is now above accepting such junk, and I think you would be right to do so as we take care of our bodies they are less likely to accept the crap any more! You are not alone. I have never taken them, but there are pre-meal treatments for such tummy issues available over the counter. I have heard that they work!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ok, you need to relax.

Also, you should try to limit yourself to eating out only once every other week anyway, only while you are still trying to loose. After that, once a week.

Tips for eating out-

#1- Order a green salad (as soon as you sit down!!!!) that only contains vegetables. For dressing- Ask them to bring you a lemon wedge or balsamic vinegar and olive oil, so you can put it on yourself

#2- Make sure the bread basket never gets to the table

#3- Order things that are not in a sauce. Order healthy options, like baked or grilled salmon, roast chicken, grilled veal chop, stuff like that. Tell the waiter that you want things only seasoned, no sauce with no salt. That way, what you get is the same as you would have made for yourself.

#4- Ask the waiter to substitute your potatoes or rice for another portion of vegetables. Ask for plain steamed vegetables or roasted with no sauce. Restaurants add a lot more salt to starched to add flavor.

#5- if you really want dessert, ask your friends or spouse to share something with you like a scoop of ice cream. If you are eating out, you may as well enjoy yourself!

#6- If you are going to eat out and splurge a little on calories, you might as well go to your favorite restaurant. Forget fast food places. Enjoy the meal and have ONE glass of wine.

If you make the right choices, eating out is definitely possible, even on a diet!
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This same thing happens to me UNLESS I get salad when I'm out. I got a salad yesterday out to eat and was fine but the other day I ate some chicken pasta stuff from macacroni grill and it tore my stomach UP. I'm assuming it's because our bodies are so used to eating fresh foods that when something with a higher fat content is ingested our bodies don't know what to do anymore. I had to pack tons of snacks yesterday while I was out at the beach because I was almost afraid to eat out and not know how many calories were in the entree. I know some places have calorie amounts online but some dont
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think its probably a combination of anxiety and the contamination of the food your eating <--meaning...no matter how "light" or "dieter friendly" something says it is on a menu, I just know that I'm eating no less than 500 calories when I eat at a restaurant.

I used to experience a lot of anxiety when I ate at restaurants. It didn't help that I worked in one for 7 years (CHEESECAKE is in the name...) so I know how many hidden calories can be found in food you don't prepare yourself. I've just learned to take a few breaths, plan my calories (workout and all) around the meal, and just focus on enjoying the company I'm with. I still get a little nervous initially but it passes.

I hope your stomach feels better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    How did you get that ticker showing the bike? I would love that on my profile.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Thing is though even if you try to be healthy at fast food places you can't. Check out the nutrition value on some of the salads... it's HIGHER than just having that burger :noway:

There is a certain well known sandwich shop and I always chose the lightest options but even those are PACKED with sodium etc. It is really hard to eat healthy when going out :mad:
  • drp121274
    drp121274 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too... I think it is my body's way of rejecting the food and reminding me to stay on track! I have internet on my phone and will go on the nutrition site of any restuarant I am going to, just to see what the healthier choices are - because salad isn't always the best choice!
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Thing is though even if you try to be healthy at fast food places you can't. Check out the nutrition value on some of the salads... it's HIGHER than just having that burger :noway:

There is a certain well known sandwich shop and I always chose the lightest options but even those are PACKED with sodium etc. It is really hard to eat healthy when going out :mad:

Simon,

The salads that I get are from Chick-Fil-A, and are always under 300 calories, a little high on the sodium, but I usually try to drink an extra couple bottles of water the next day to counter act them.
    In fact, Chick-Fil-A is one of the ONLY places where just about every item on the menu is health conscious (EXCEPT the shakes :sad: )
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Your stomach refuses to digest this crap. A couple of weeks ago I went out and after having two bites of a burger I threw up several times. Nothing wrong with the food, it just didn't agree with me anymore.
    Antibiotics or any other medication might do this to you as well.
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    hhhhmmm......I personally made eating out a 25 pound weight loss goal reward for myself and have not eaten out since I started my journey, but I look forward to it - just 13 pounds to go! I hope that by that time my body does okay. I know this may sound weird but Is it possible for you to maybe cook your own meat, get a salad at the restaurant and have them heat up your food. That way at least you get the feel of eating out. IDK, just a thought.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I can totally relate...unfortunately. My doc diagnosed me with IBS a few years ago...but there were never any tests ran, just her opinion. When I eat out I stress out so much about the food I am not able to enjoy it and end up spending most of my night in the bathroom. Now I can't tell if I'm stressed about what I'm eating or if I'm stressed about the fact that I know my stress will cause me to be sick. Either way, eating out is nearly impossible. Sometimes I talk my husband into ordering out and eating in, that relieves some of my stress but my body usually rejects it anyway. I wish I knew of a quick fix but I don't. It's obvious you are not alone in this so just try not to stress so much (easier said than done, I know).
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I think if it continues you should see our good ole' doc. You've lost quite a bit of weight and quite often those who loose 60+ develop gall bladder problems. You may not always feel the pain, but not being able to hold things in is one major symptom. On the flip side it may very well be anxiety like the PP suggested or even IBS. GL in getting it worked out. :smile:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    you know, I never put the two together but I'm right there with you! well, a benefit is that all that "bad" food moves through quickly? aren't you all astute diet sleuths!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My rule... if it has a drive thru I don't go! =)

I only order grilled chicken, steamed veggies without butter and salads with dressing on the side (usually a vinaigrette). It's OK to splurge now and then, you can make up for it with an extra hard workout.