What is a decent weight for a 6'3" male?

Options
The BMI says I'm overweight if I'm more than 200 pounds.

I trust the judgment of you guys more.:bigsmile:

Replies

• freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think it depends entirely on your body type. If you can, I would ask a doctor or a physical trainer at a gym near you. My boyfriend is almost 6' 1" and he's 160ish, but he's practically scrawny. I think around 200 would be fairly healthy, though without seeing you I can't really say.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Depends on your build and how much muscle to fat you have... I am 6 ft. 1 in. and am around 250 lbs. and do not plan on ever going lower than 230 lbs. I to have never put any faith in the BMI chart... at one time my BMI was 74 and today it is 33 (Obese class 1) lol and I can tell you I am far from Obese now.... Best of Luck
  • stefanopsimaris
    stefanopsimaris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    280 Lbs at 5% body fat is ideal. U WILL BE SHREDDED AS FUAAAAAAARRRRRK
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Depends on your build and how much muscle to fat you have... I am 6 ft. 1 in. and am around 250 lbs. and do not plan on ever going lower than 230 lbs. I to have never put any faith in the BMI chart... at one time my BMI was 74 and today it is 33 (Obese class 1) lol and I can tell you are am far from Obese now.... Best of Luck

Mine is currently 47. I would be satisfied with 33.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    I think it depends entirely on your body type. If you can, I would ask a doctor or a physical trainer at a gym near you. My boyfriend is almost 6' 1" and he's 160ish, but he's practically scrawny. I think around 200 would be fairly healthy, though without seeing you I can't really say.

I couldn't imagine only weighing 160. I would be happy with 220.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options

I have a lot of working out to do to get to 5% body fat.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't think BMI for taller people works very well either. I'm 6'3" and currently 240, which is the line between obese and overweight. I'm shooting for 225. I can't imagine being under 200, which is where BMI ends the "normal" range.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    I don't think BMI for taller people works very well either. I'm 6'3" and currently 240, which is the line between obese and overweight. I'm shooting for 225. I can't imagine being under 200, which is where BMI ends the "normal" range.

My ultimate goal is 220.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Disregard BMI. It was never intended to be used as a tool for individuals - it was for comparisons across populations.

IMO, you're at the right weight when you're at a reasonable bodyfat percentage and happy with what you see in the mirror. BMI doesn't even take BF% into consideration. According to BMI, you'd be "Healthy" at 6'3", 150 lbs. and 30% BF - but you'd be "Overweight" at 6'3", 205 lbs. and 12% BF. Guess which one would actually be healthier and look better.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    BMI is stupid, I am 5' 11" and it puts me in the overweight category...200 is fine for a 6'3" male...lift heavy.
    33110506_8190.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The BMI is only relevant for populations, not individuals. It is a decent guide for someone who has 'average' muscle mass but is no for people with anything more than decent muscle mass or who does not fit into other 'average' parameters. I only left the overweight category a couple of pounds ago.

Use BF% as a guide.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'3 and his goal is to get back down to 250.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The BMI says I'm overweight if I'm more than 200 pounds.

I trust the judgment of you guys more.:bigsmile:

I'm 6'3" and started at 270 lbs. My goal was to get to a weight within my healthy BMI range. I reached the exact center of that range at 180 lbs. However, people thought I looked skinny instead of fabulous (some asked "are you sick"?) because I reached my goal with no strength training. I changed goals to be more mirror-oriented and starting building muscle mass by working out and adding more protein to the mix WHILE still eating at a calorie deficit to continue burning fat.

Now I weigh 185 and am not nervous about that number or my BMI. The mirror is my scale.

People on these forums and the ones at bodybuilding.com are always bashing BMI. Hey take it easy... sure it's just an average indicator and of course it's imperfect. But it's useful as a "rule of thumb" and for most people it's a good starting place for determining whether you are in a healthy range.

BMI doesn't indicate anything for a guy like Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's 6"2' and weighs about 230 lbs, which would make him "overweight". But we all know that's ridiculous. Still you have to be honest with you -- and if you are an average guy then being overweight according to BMI should be a red flag.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Maybe this fits that description

arclight-hulk.jpg
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    BMI is stupid, I am 5' 11" and it puts me in the overweight category...200 is fine for a 6'3" male...lift heavy.
    33110506_8190.jpg

Meow!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    That would put the OP at right around Lou Ferrigno's size while in his prime. Legit goal for someone who's 100% natty:

faq.jpg

lou-ferrigno.jpg
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Disregard BMI. It was never intended to be used as a tool for individuals - it was for comparisons across populations.

IMO, you're at the right weight when you're at a reasonable bodyfat percentage and happy with what you see in the mirror. BMI doesn't even take BF% into consideration. According to BMI, you'd be "Healthy" at 6'3", 150 lbs. and 30% BF - but you'd be "Overweight" at 6'3", 205 lbs. and 12% BF. Guess which one would actually be healthier and look better.
    ^^THIS!! I'm 6'4", SW/HW was 296# (as recent as May 2012) and today I'm floating in the low 250's. The border between overweight and obese for my height is 246#, so my stage 3 goal is 240# to allow 6# wiggle room. 204# (top end of "normal" range) ain't gonna cut it on my body frame.
    I don't obsess over BMI, but I would like to be officially out of its obese range. Once I get there, the focus shifts away from scale to the mirror and the BMI chart can go F-itself.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My hubbie is 6'5" and he generally sits between 220 and 240. He's never had a weight problem, definitely in no way overweight! He cut down to 200 for a BJJ comp once and was very lean. So yeah, definitely depends on build.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    200 sound fabulous to me. I don't worry about the BMI charts. No one is built exactly the same.

No one size fits all IMO.
  • dante78
    dante78 Posts: 1
    Options
    I personally feel that BMI is not accurate, I have studied kinesiology & Sports Medicine while in College, Nutrition was a huge part. A lot is due to your measurements of fat, also keep in mind that muscle plays a huge part. You might be 250 and muscular and fit. I personally feel that Skin Calipers, Hydrostatic Weighing or Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry are much more accurate.