Will I still lose with out strength training?

Options
I've been working out almost everyday. Mostly hour to two hour walks with my dog with the occasional bursts of jogging. I'v never been able to jog or run well even at my lowest weight in high school. I guess I'm just wondering if I will still lose weight if I don't pair my cardio with strength training?

I would love to start strength training, but I don't even know where to start either! I don't know very many exercises for strength training, how many to do, what part to work on. I ideally would want to do full body strength training rather then focus on one area. If I could get some good routines or suggestions. That would help me out a BUNCH! Also, how often should I do strength training routines and for how long?

P.S.- I don't have a gym membership more equipment. I just have a treadmill and 5lb dumbbells. Oh, and stairs.

Replies

• staceycanada
    Options
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/build-strength/strength-training-for-beginners/

You can use your 5lb weights to do this.

You will lose weight but you won't tone anything and your muscles (like mine) will be weak.

If you do want to start jogging (which I am about to start but can't currently do) use a program called couch25k (couch to 5 k).
    You can find free apps for iphone or blackberry or just search online.
  • oceanheart_magicsoul
    Options
    If you do want to start jogging (which I am about to start but can't currently do) use a program called couch25k (couch to 5 k).
    You can find free apps for iphone or blackberry or just search online.

Thanks! I actually have the C25K app on my phone. I even find it hard to jog that haha, but I gave myself shin splints in the first week. Even doing it every other day. I might start it over again and go at it a little slower.
  • staceycanada
    Options
    I'm getting shi splints as well which is why I haven't done it yet.
    I'm not sure what the cure to that is.

Here's a good and quick weight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPJnzxVEH8

She does a good 10 min workout as well.
  • maggiecosmo
    maggiecosmo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do lunges on your walks that will tone your legs and butt, planks when you get home will tone your core and walking with weights will do it for your arms....
  • oceanheart_magicsoul
    Options
    Do lunges on your walks that will tone your legs and butt, planks when you get home will tone your core and walking with weights will do it for your arms....

BRILLIANT! I will try this.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The Nike Training Club app is another good one for your phone and dumbbells - great variety of workouts from 15-45 minutes long, and it's free!

And yes, you will still lose weight without the strength training, but I found when I lost the weight and still wasn't happy with what I looked like - I was just a slimmer, but still soft and squishy version of what I was before. Adding the strength training helped tremendously. Keep an eye out for sales on heavier dumbbells at Target or WalMart, and so you can lift heavier stuff as you progress.