Help Me Get off the Sugar!

Options
I am way addicted to sugar. It's scares me to reflect on the amount of sugar that I actually consume. It is way too much! This is most likely the main reason I am overweight. I am 5'8" and 210 lbs. I was heavier last year. Then I managed to loose 30 lbs quite quickly with a diet of natual and whole foods. I quite all unnatural sugar and ate all whole foods. After I lost enough weight that I felt satisfied with my appearance, I began to slowly regain my bad eating habits back. I regained 20 of the pounds I lost. I made a plan to start eating healthy again and to cut out the sugar. However, I could not make it thorough even one day I felt soooo horrible and got a really bad headache. I think this is when I realized how much my body really is counting on it's daily dose of sugar. I really need some guidance and help this time around with cutting out my sugar. I'm sure that my blood sugar levels are are up and down all day. I get really insane cravings for sweat things all day long and they are really intense at times. I feel like I need large amounts of sugar for my body to feel okay. I would love to know how to get off of this crap b4 it kills me! I can feel that I am unhealthy. I am almost certain that this will turn into diabetes down the road. I am the only person I know that eats as much sugar as I do. I really just want to get a start on kicking this sugar additions butt. Is there a way to cut it out cold turkey without going through the headaches and such. I'm not good at sustaining a long term goals that includes me weening off sugar. I feel I need to just set a date and cut it all at once if I'm going to be successful at this thing. Is there something that I can take (besides over the counter pain relievers) to help the headaches. Is there anything that will help to level off my blood sugar levels? Has anyone been through this? I could really use and appreciate some advice. Please, add me as a friend if you are or have struggled with this kind of thing. I would love to make some friends here and support each others efforts!
Amanda

Replies

• stefanopsimaris
    stefanopsimaris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Track your Macro's. And if it fits your Macros Eat dat sugar brahette
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I have some of the same problem, would love to hear some ideas! Mainly I eat sugar inn things, and definitely some sweets, but it comes from all over the place!!
  • stefanopsimaris
    stefanopsimaris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not lead to diabetes. all studies surgesting this are done on sedetary individuals. Although exess sugar can lead to diebets due to inproper insulen responce over time the level of sugar one must eat if they have a low BF% and exercise would be massive like 40% of your dailey intake of sugar.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • SpaceShuttle13
    Options
    Go to Walmart and purchase Spring Valley Chromium Picolinate 1000mcg.I personally take one tablet in the morning everyday and I do not crave sugar at all.I hope this helps.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I know there are people on here that have cut out virtually all sugar from their diet. I'm not one of them. I want to enjoy things like ice cream, pie and cake. And I drink beer. And I eat pizza 2-3 times a week. Hell, I had Wendy's today (a chicken sandwich but Wendy's nevertheless).

My point is, focus on what really matters: calories, and macro- and micronutrients. If you have calories left, you have gotten sufficient protein and fats, and you've consumed sufficient micronutrients, then enjoy your sweets so long as you do not go over on your calories. I find that this is a great motivator to do cardio. The more exercise, the more you are allowed to eat and stay within your goals.

You will see people on here and other places calling this "IIFYM" or "If It Fits Your Macros." There is a wonderful flexibility in this that frees you from the pain and agony of diets and the entire concept of "bad foods." Use it. Be happy.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Here's an article I wrote about sugar withdrawal: http://hub.me/aeCOt
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate, and especially sugar addictions are common. You stated it perfectly. You are out of control, you feel icky when you try to stop, you have health consequences (overweight).

Go to Overeaters Anonymous. Or look it up online. Sugar is absolutely an addictive substance. Been there. You can wean yourself off, or quit Cold Turkey. Eventually you will be able to control it. Have faith. You can do this.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and have diabetes on both sides of my family. I do better with a lower carb diet. That being said I indulge in dark chocolate and sweets here and there. I've done Atkins (too severe) and South Beach (too salty) and Paleo.. too restrictive... Once you cut your sugars down you crave them less & less. I'd much rather have 200 calories of steak than 200 calories of cake... = )
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options
    Seriously if you eat more cooked vegetables, in particular greens it will help detox you, taking away the cravings. Drink water primarily. Read food labels for hidden sugars, like dextrose, sucrose, fructose, corn syrup, etc.
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    it will take 3 days to get to feeling better. day 3 was the worst for me.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Try buying sugar free things to satisfy your sweet tooth, such as popsicles or hard candies. They'll give you that sweet taste without being damaging on your blood sugar levels. Also if you drink juice daily, cut that out and replace it with water flavored with those little Mio things-- I'm pretty sure any kind you get is 0 cals and 0 sugar, and it tastes just like Kool-Aid. If you drink juice for the vitamin C, perhaps look into taking vitamin supplements.

Lastly, when you really want a specific sweet, and you've been thinking about it for days, go and eat that sweet. Just take as long as possible to actually eat it. Give yourself every opportunity to turn it down, and if you end up setting it aside for another day, bravo. If not, try your best to eat a moderate portion, don't give in to bingeing, and savor every bite. You're not going to be able to just "pick a date and stop" for good, but try to have the attitude that sugar isn't GOOD for you, but in small doses it's not terrible either. Best of luck to you.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    try bringing in more natural forms of sugar. Go out and buy a huge fruit platter at the grocery store (or you can chop up some yourself if you like) and snack on that. make sure it stuff you like!!! or you'll never want ot eat it. mkae smoothies!! i swear this helped me with my softdrink cravings, because smoothies are not only sweet and tasty, but they are fillling too.
    Is also a good idea to increase water intake. sometimes when i felt like i wanted some soda or some juice, i discovered my body was actually craving water, because soft drinks don't ever fill your craving, (thats why its easy to drink so much) but a half-bottle of water will leave you satisfied.
    Its okay to have some sugar when you want it, dont stress too much on sugar focus on the goodness of the foods you eat and the calories, as long as theres no problems pertaing to sugar dont worry :)
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sugars alone are never the whole culprit for unstable blood sugar levels of weight gain. What matters is the total number of carbs you consume. Preferably more complex carbs than simple carbs, i.e. more whole grains, wheat, oats, etc. Dietitians recommend, for women, to limit your carbs to 45gms (regardless of the sugar content) per major meal, i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. In addition, take two more mini meals or snack meals for which limit your carbs to 15-20gms. Increase protien and fiber content in your diet, which will make you less hungry. Make sure your mini meals are at least 2-3 hours apart from other meals. If you do the above, you should stabilize your energy and sugar levels. To lose weight though, you just need to use MFP to figure out your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE and create a calorie deficit, with the carb limits stated above, and you will lose weight.

Hope that helps. Let me know of any questions.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible you have a yeast overgrowth in your gut. It's fairly common. There is an over-the-counter homeopathic med designed to treat vaginal yeast infections. I discovered quite accidentally that it also curbs sugar craving, presumably by killing off some of the excess yeast. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure the pharmacist can point you in the right direction!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    See if things like apples, yogurt, and Kellogs Nutrigrain satisfy your sweet tooth.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was exactly like you!!!!! Intense cravings for sweets! I would SNEAK out in the middle of the night and buy 20 bucks worth of crap at the local gas station and eat it ALL! I would be ready to puke and so ashamed.
    My doctor told me that if I quit soda pop (even diet) that my sugar cravings would dissapear. I thought Horsesh*t! I had to apologise to her the next visit because she was 100 percent correct. I can bypass any and all sweety treat that I could NEVER have passed up before.
    And I have no cravings that I can't control anymore. My sweet tooth is what always killed my diets in the past.
    So if you are drinking anykind of soda.............stop and you will be much better off. Now I drink tea or sparkling water to satisfy my craving for the fuzzy stuff but I only have 1 or two a week.
    I hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • mtzrose2001
    mtzrose2001 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Track your Macro's. And if it fits your Macros Eat dat sugar brahette
    I think sugar and refined sugars are making up at least half of my daily calories:(
    All I drink in sweetened drinks. Mostly coffee with tones of sugar. That's all day every day. I don't drink any water. Just for example today I ate a Hershey pie for breakfast along with a brat and a giant cup of coffee with about a 1/4 cup sugar in it and cinnamon slavered syrup. Then for lunch I had about 2 cups of pasts with about 1/2 cup of shrimp. Then I went on to drink a couple cups of Lipton iced tee. Then I had a chocolate moose (the one from Applebees.) I also had 2 of the real little bags of Cheetos. Oh and I had one package of oatmeal with about about 3 teaspoons of sugar on it. I'll probably have a bowl of chocolate/ peanut butter cereal before bed. Soooo, Yeah.... It's bad and I don't think I should just keep eating it :( Kind of wish it were that simple! I have an insane amount of willpower and determination. I feel like this is one thing that I am definitely going to need some help with and some tools.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling, it is like a drug habit that ya can't brake.
    I looked up sugar side effects and read it over and over but to completely cut it out I have not figured it out yet but I have cut down hoping to ween off all together someday :noway: .
  • mtzrose2001
    mtzrose2001 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not lead to diabetes. all studies surgesting this are done on sedetary individuals. Although exess sugar can lead to diebets due to inproper insulen responce over time the level of sugar one must eat if they have a low BF% and exercise would be massive like 40% of your dailey intake of sugar.
    This is somewhat confusing because you said that sugar does not lead to diabetes but then said that it does (indirectly).