I shouldn't be angry... but I am!

Options
I am so tired of getting weightless products shoved in my face. I am sure Body By Vi has helped some, but it is not for me. I am sure HCG has helped some, but it is not for me! I am sure Advocare is great.... but it is not for me!!!! Why can't friends stop trying to get me to buy this crap? Why why why! In the beginning I kept my mouth shut. I hadn't lost any weight and had failed several times before, which my friends were aware of. But now I am at almost 20 lbs lost the hard/healthy way and so excited... but they just don't here it!! They can't believe I have lost this with out any magic pills and they don't believe I can lose 47 more. And then tonight a close friend tells me she is going to go on the HCG diet as soon as she has the money saved... I politely asked her why she didn't just count calories and work out a little bit at home and see how that goes... she almost bit my head off! "because I don't want to count calories, i want to eat fruit and veggies for 6 weeks and take this supplement and lose weight because its healthy. and i don't have time to work out right now"..... I got up and left.

I literally am having a tough time this week keeping my big mouth shut. I thought that losing weight would be great, that I was the one slowing down my group of friends because I was too exhausted and overweight to go out and have fun.... but maybe I was wrong? or maybe things have just changed? I have 4 great friends who are very supportive and encouraging, and the other half of our group is just getting to where I don't want to be around them. I don't want to lose friends but maybe it is time to clean house, so to speak? :frown: Losing weight was supposed to be hard, and fun and healthy. The weight loss part has been... but this friend thing has taken me completely off guard.

Has anyone else had to cut friends out of their lives?

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Keep it positive, let them talk and talk, and you just keep making progress. There is nothing like knowing that you're right to give you the power to shrug off bad advice. Eventually, they will shut their mouths and start asking the right questions. And when you make significant progress, they may even listen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    You nailed it. 1. If you don't talk about it, they don't have two cents to add. Come here, people here are always willing to talk diet and exercise.

and. 2. Some people get cut in life. It's okay.
  • mommygirlx3
    mommygirlx3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    just do what I do and tell them thanks but I am losing the natural way and just doing life change not diet
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You nailed it. 1. If you don't talk about it, they don't have two cents to add. Come here, people here are always willing to talk diet and exercise.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^This. Even #2...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Maybe once their fad diets fail and they see the great results you have gotten they will come around. I have a cousin that has tried HCG at least 3 times, she always loses and then the minute she stops you can guess what happens. Just as your friend said they don't want to have to think about it they just want to pop a pill or down a drink.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Come here for support and start enjoying the new body and life you are going to have.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Good news is.....I was so mad I am on my way to the gym to work out for as long as it takes for me to not be angry! Thanks guys! I try and not talk weightloss unless I am asked, but when someone brings it up and tells me a quick fix is the way to go and blows me off /gets really defensive when I ask a simple question... just aggravates me. She is such a smart woman I just don't understand her making an uneducated, non researched decision like this. We are 21... I don't want her to mess up her body and metabolism anymore than she already has. I'm a little sad too I guess.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean #2 the way I read it, but I lol'ed anyway. Don't cut your friends OP, they might press charges. :laugh:

I'd say just don't talk to them about it unless they ask. They sound like my in-laws. They love HCG but counting calories is "restrictive." :noway:
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am so tired of getting weightless products shoved in my face. I am sure Body By Vi has helped some, but it is not for me. I am sure HCG has helped some, but it is not for me! I am sure Advocare is great.... but it is not for me!!!! Why can't friends stop trying to get me to buy this crap? Why why why! In the beginning I kept my mouth shut. I hadn't lost any weight and had failed several times before, which my friends were aware of. But now I am at almost 20 lbs lost the hard/healthy way and so excited... but they just don't here it!! They can't believe I have lost this with out any magic pills and they don't believe I can lose 47 more. And then tonight a close friend tells me she is going to go on the HCG diet as soon as she has the money saved... I politely asked her why she didn't just count calories and work out a little bit at home and see how that goes... she almost bit my head off! "because I don't want to count calories, i want to eat fruit and veggies for 6 weeks and take this supplement and lose weight because its healthy. and i don't have time to work out right now"..... I got up and left.

I literally am having a tough time this week keeping my big mouth shut. I thought that losing weight would be great, that I was the one slowing down my group of friends because I was too exhausted and overweight to go out and have fun.... but maybe I was wrong? or maybe things have just changed? I have 4 great friends who are very supportive and encouraging, and the other half of our group is just getting to where I don't want to be around them. I don't want to lose friends but maybe it is time to clean house, so to speak? :frown: Losing weight was supposed to be hard, and fun and healthy. The weight loss part has been... but this friend thing has taken me completely off guard.

Your friends learn a lot more by watching what you do, not by what you say. Your continued success will force them to admit that the diet pill crap is just that..crap. But no amount of explaining will help. When they are ready, they are ready. Just keep on keeping on! And don't get rid of your friends, they need your help and your good example.

Good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like knowing that you're right to give you the power to shrug off bad advice.

This is going to become my freakin' motto!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You keep saying "friends" are trying to sell you this stuff

tumblr_lroen5OC4z1qhgr6oo1_400_zps0218004f.gif
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mfsh0b00HN1rt3mj5o1_400.gif

Preach on Girl
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Yes. Some people are so unhappy with themselves they can't stand to see another's happiness or success...some others don't encourage or support because they are jealous, and then there are the ones who just plain don't know how to be supportive.

Sounds like you need some new friends, dear. Request sent :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean #2 the way I read it, but I lol'ed anyway. Don't cut your friends OP, they might press charges. :laugh:

Ha. Yeah, I don't advocate violence. Just selective ignoring.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    This most makes me happy.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your doing your thing let her do hers! If they support you support them back! Just be like "thats great I hope you get the money saved up but in the mean time do you want to go walking with me?" Maybe she got upset because she felt unsupported. People lose weight with these gimmicks and some people dont some people (like me) have to find out the hard way. Now the other people selling crap are just trying to make money. Ignore them you are on the right track. hope you have a good work out.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily break up with my friends, but I do know that my relationships in general change as I try to stay healthy. There are folks that used to bond with me over food, and then they can't understand why I'm not excited over birthday cake or a plate of brownies. They don't get why I workout and sweat and get tired on purpose. They don't have to get it. We can still chat about work or our families and still be friends.

I don't feel the need to preach about my healthy habits to my friends, and yes, I am certainly irritated when they roll their eyes when I tell them what I'm having for lunch, but that doesn't mean we won't get over it and move on.
  • avalentineb
    avalentineb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    over the past yr I've told a lot of people to go **** themselve and thats OK because now they ask me for advise :laugh:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're around when your HCG diet friend gains all her weight back and dissolves into a puddle of tears ... real friendship proves itself in times of stupidity, of which we all have many. :smile: