What are the benefits of Gluten Free?

Options

Replies

• honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I roll my eyes at people who go GF who don't have to. Because I have to. If you don't have a medical reason, don't do it. It makes those of us who don't have a choice look like we are jumping on a bandwagon.

I know this isn't the same thing, but this is what bothers me about being a vegetarian. I am one primarily for ethical reasons and have been for years, but I'm tired of people jumping on the veg*n bandwagon because they think it will help them lose weight, restrict, or make them supremely healthy. Also, it's damn annoying when those same people eat fish or eat a burger once a year as a "treat". It's why some people act like I'm a pain in the *kitten* because I don't want to eat chicken, fish, and mind it if my soup is made with chicken broth.

people don't have to live their lives based on the way you live yours. and the way they live their lives has NO reflection on you. It actually has nothing to do with you at all.

If someone wants to become a vegetarian because they want the health benefits, who are you to say that's wrong?

Because being a vegetarian is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. And, as I said, many of those same people have a burger as a "treat" or will occasionally eat chicken or fish, and then call themselves a vegetarian. They put a label on something and adapt the lifestyle without adhering to it. Some people abandon the lifestyle if it doesn't give them what they want (e.g. weight loss). That makes things more difficult for people who DO adhere to the lifestyle and take it very seriously; we're viewed as a pain in the *kitten* because we don't have chicken "just this once".

i think this is a massive over-generalization.

for instance - I'm not completely vegetarian, but I eat very little meat. When I'm home I only cook/eat ovo-veg (don't do dairy), so that when I'm out and about, I don't have to worry quite so much about what I'm eating. I personally feel that all of us should cut back on our meat intake for multiple reasons - health/ethics/environment - but just because we don't adhere 100% doesn't mean we're looking for a "quick fix" or that we're tarnishing the vegetarian label, or that we don't understand/agree with the ethical issues at play.

I have the utmost respect for people who are 100% veg/vegan/etc, and for those who have to adhere to strict diets due to health issues. I might be among them, thus my experimenting with GF to deal with my inflammation and reflux issues.

But again, how does it hurt you if I don't completely adhere to a vegetarian diet?

If you (general you) want to limit your meat and meat products, awesome, that's wonderful. Good for you.

My issue isn't with people eating healthier or limiting meat and/or meat products, my issue is with people labeling themselves as something they aren't. If you were to call yourself a vegetarian that would be false, and it would project this (annoying) idea that vegetarians eat chicken, fish, etc. Due to this, people would assume that vegetarians who don't eat those things (you know, actual vegetarians) are just being strict or a pain in the *kitten*.

Let me make it simple for you: if you still eat meat, you aren't a vegetarian. You are an omnivore. Call yourself an omnivore, I'll call myself a vegetarian, and no one will be confused. Easy peasy.

This is similar to someone going GF when they don't have issues, but then occasionally eating gluten or buying products with hidden gluten (e.g. salad dressings, packaged items, things that could be contaminated with gluten) but still labeling themselves as GF. This lessens the severity of people with an actual intolerance or allergy. If you want to limit your processed grains, then that's fine, but don't decide to call yourself GF and then buy items that have gluten in them, or have a piece of cake "just once, as a treat". It's an insult to people with real problems.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I guess this is how I feel - if you're going gluten free/dairy free/ etc etc for purely weight-loss reasons, then that's silly and I'd absolutely lump it in with fad diets.

If you're doing it to improve your quality of life, no matter the severity of your potential sensitivity, I don't think it's a fad.

Lemme see here....Gluten-laced foods make me feel achy, tired, bloated, gassy, crampy, PMSy, itchy, sluggish. Gluten free foods make me feel energetic, give me a flat belly, virtually no PMS (and I'm in perimenopause), the ability to sleep, the ability to flex, etc.

Is there really a question about whether or not GF is a health choice or a fad diet for me? I don't think so.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options
    I would disagree that it isn't a fad, by definition. But thank you for your post. I don't know much about gluten, or Celiac Disease, so I wanted to better understand. Definitely not trying to knock GF, just really curious, and uninformed.

Is gluten just in wheat, or is it in other products?

If you're forced to eat a certain way because your body doesn't digest wheat, how is that a fad? it's no different from taking medicine to treat an illness - it's what you have to do to stay healthy. For people with Celiac it's not a choice. Fads are - by definition - not necessary to your health.

Gluten is found in a number of grains:

Barley, including barley malt
    Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

and in anything with wheat, wheat flour, white flour, etc as an ingredient. tons of processed foods also include it.

Oh please, I know SO many people that jump on the GF train without seeing a doctor, conducting tests, seeing a nutritionist, etc. They just decide one day that going GF will change their life and make their body some high powered machine. Then when that doesn't work, they keep experimenting (e.g. going dairy free, cutting out meat, cutting our fruit, etc). Messing with your body without guidance is incredibly irresponsible and could lead to further intolerances and digestive issues. Also, going GF pretty prevalent in EDs now because it's a way to restrict the diet and avoid carbohydrates under the rouse of being GF. To say that it is helpful to many people is correct, but to say it isn't a fad is a total falsehood.

I wanted to lose weight, so it was suggested I give up wheat products and grains. When I asked "why them?" I was told they are the bulk of the problems in today's health world. I asked further and was told "Well, we humans survived before agriculture and wheat was eaten, so we really don't need wheat and our bodies aren't designed to digest it..."

I went off wheat and grains, and dropped 20 lbs in three months. I went into my doc's office and had bloodwork drawn because I wanted to check my cholesterol. Interesting sidebar: my RA factor had been at 23, or in the "danger zone for positive", according to my doctor, prior to going off wheat (and gluten). I had been experiencing all over body aches, muscle pains, skin rashes, moody, PMS, gas, bloating and insomnia. AFTER I went off wheat (remember, I didn't say GF here), my symptoms disappeared in a week. After three months, my cholesterol dropped 40 pts and my RA was back down to 14, a safe range.

I had an undiagnosed auto immune response to something my doctor never identified. She tested me for fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, lupus and RA. What she didn't test me for was a gluten intolerance. But, the change in my diet cured ALL my symptoms the doctor assumed were of the above. Gluten was the culprit, and I had the evidence to show it.

Please don't tell me that all people who choose GF are doing it as a "fad". I wanted to lose weight, it was suggested I give up WHEAT and all WHEAT products, and as a result, my health improved tremendously. I've been GF for 2 yrs now and I hadn't felt this good in years.

Reading comprehension 101: I never said all people who go GF are doing it as a fad. You went GF because of medical reasons, and are not included in the group of people I was referring to.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    The book "Wheat Belly" must have some influence with regards to the concept of gluten free (yes/no) ? So the notion of gluten free is being popularized which is a step towards being a fad
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I guess this is how I feel - if you're going gluten free/dairy free/ etc etc for purely weight-loss reasons, then that's silly and I'd absolutely lump it in with fad diets.

If you're doing it to improve your quality of life, no matter the severity of your potential sensitivity, I don't think it's a fad.

Lemme see here....Gluten-laced foods make me feel achy, tired, bloated, gassy, crampy, PMSy, itchy, sluggish. Gluten free foods make me feel energetic, give me a flat belly, virtually no PMS (and I'm in perimenopause), the ability to sleep, the ability to flex, etc.

Is there really a question about whether or not GF is a health choice or a fad diet for me? I don't think so.

lol also with the reading comprehension - in what world did i say that GF would be a fad diet for you??
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I would disagree that it isn't a fad, by definition. But thank you for your post. I don't know much about gluten, or Celiac Disease, so I wanted to better understand. Definitely not trying to knock GF, just really curious, and uninformed.

If you're forced to eat a certain way because your body doesn't digest wheat, how is that a fad? it's no different from taking medicine to treat an illness - it's what you have to do to stay healthy. For people with Celiac it's not a choice. Fads are - by definition - not necessary to your health.

Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

and in anything with wheat, wheat flour, white flour, etc as an ingredient. tons of processed foods also include it.

Oh please, I know SO many people that jump on the GF train without seeing a doctor, conducting tests, seeing a nutritionist, etc. They just decide one day that going GF will change their life and make their body some high powered machine. Then when that doesn't work, they keep experimenting (e.g. going dairy free, cutting out meat, cutting our fruit, etc). Messing with your body without guidance is incredibly irresponsible and could lead to further intolerances and digestive issues. Also, going GF pretty prevalent in EDs now because it's a way to restrict the diet and avoid carbohydrates under the rouse of being GF. To say that it is helpful to many people is correct, but to say it isn't a fad is a total falsehood.

I wanted to lose weight, so it was suggested I give up wheat products and grains. When I asked "why them?" I was told they are the bulk of the problems in today's health world. I asked further and was told "Well, we humans survived before agriculture and wheat was eaten, so we really don't need wheat and our bodies aren't designed to digest it..."

I went off wheat and grains, and dropped 20 lbs in three months. I went into my doc's office and had bloodwork drawn because I wanted to check my cholesterol. Interesting sidebar: my RA factor had been at 23, or in the "danger zone for positive", according to my doctor, prior to going off wheat (and gluten). I had been experiencing all over body aches, muscle pains, skin rashes, moody, PMS, gas, bloating and insomnia. AFTER I went off wheat (remember, I didn't say GF here), my symptoms disappeared in a week. After three months, my cholesterol dropped 40 pts and my RA was back down to 14, a safe range.

I had an undiagnosed auto immune response to something my doctor never identified. She tested me for fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, lupus and RA. What she didn't test me for was a gluten intolerance. But, the change in my diet cured ALL my symptoms the doctor assumed were of the above. Gluten was the culprit, and I had the evidence to show it.

Please don't tell me that all people who choose GF are doing it as a "fad". I wanted to lose weight, it was suggested I give up WHEAT and all WHEAT products, and as a result, my health improved tremendously. I've been GF for 2 yrs now and I hadn't felt this good in years.

Reading comprehension 101: I never said all people who go GF are doing it as a fad. You went GF because of medical reasons, and are not included in the group of people I was referring to.

Reading comprehension 102: And I said I didn't set out to go GF, nor was I officially diagnosed as GF intolerant. I said I gave up WHEAT and GRAINS to lose weight, and as a sidebar to that, LOST a lot of weight AND cured my health issues, all at once. I discovered all on my own that the "fad diet" I was on was actually the cure for some longstanding, undiagnosed, entirely curable symptoms of which I didn't have any idea were caused by gluten.

I firmly believe that MANY, MANY people out there are gluten intolerant, yet do not know they are. They have symptoms that are given another label, or they just "deal" with the symptoms because "it's been like this for years, nothing I can do about it".

I suggest everyone tries a one-week elimination diet to see if they have experienced any relief of their symptoms. If they have, then it's worth further examination. If they haven't then gluten wasn't the culprit to begin with. There is absolutely no harm in doing an elimination diet. It just means being very disciplined.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

Reading comprehension 102: And I said I didn't set out to go GF, nor was I officially diagnosed as GF intolerant. I said I gave up WHEAT and GRAINS to lose weight, and as a sidebar to that, LOST a lot of weight AND cured my health issues, all at once. I discovered all on my own that the "fad diet" I was on was actually the cure for some longstanding, undiagnosed, entirely curable symptoms of which I didn't have any idea were caused by gluten.

I firmly believe that MANY, MANY people out there are gluten intolerant, yet do not know they are. They have symptoms that are given another label, or they just "deal" with the symptoms because "it's been like this for years, nothing I can do about it".

I suggest everyone tries a one-week elimination diet to see if they have experienced any relief of their symptoms. If they have, then it's worth further examination. If they haven't then gluten wasn't the culprit to begin with. There is absolutely no harm in doing an elimination diet. It just means being very disciplined.

this is exactly what i said on page 1 - we actually agree here...
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

lol also with the reading comprehension - in what world did i say that GF would be a fad diet for you??

I was SUPPORTING your commentary.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Hah! sorry - guess i misinterpreted the intent. my bad. :P
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Hah! sorry - guess i misinterpreted the intent. my bad. :P

I've actually been following a lot of your threads about this issue and have been agreeing 100% with all you've said. :)
  • canambus
    Options
    I am gluten free because I was having asthma attacks more frequently that could not be controlled without a couple of rounds of steroids. My family Dr didn't recommend anything other than more maintenance meds and gave a referral to an allergist (after I requested it). My Chiropractor/Nutritionist recommended going gluten free, and that was the best advice i was ever given. I have been able to breath better than I had for 2 years and have had no major attacks in 20 months. For me Gluten Free gives me the ability to enjoy life and air.
    I sometimes have to defend my reason for not eating some gluten laden foods and find I have to say "I'm not gluten free because I think I'll lose weight, I have actual medical reasons...like breathing." Some people are so use to hearing about gluten free for quick weight loss ideas that the thought of actual medical necessity blows them away. I can see where GF is a fad. Yes, it is medically necessary for most people who follow a GF diet but some people just try it to lose weight, eat all the GF processed stuff don't lose weight and go back to eating the way they always did.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I am gluten free because I was having asthma attacks more frequently that could not be controlled without a couple of rounds of steroids. My family Dr didn't recommend anything other than more maintenance meds and gave a referral to an allergist (after I requested it). My Chiropractor/Nutritionist recommended going gluten free, and that was the best advice i was ever given. I have been able to breath better than I had for 2 years and have had no major attacks in 20 months. For me Gluten Free gives me the ability to enjoy life and air.
    I sometimes have to defend my reason for not eating some gluten laden foods and find I have to say "I'm not gluten free because I think I'll lose weight, I have actual medical reasons...like breathing." Some people are so use to hearing about gluten free for quick weight loss ideas that the thought of actual medical necessity blows them away. I can see where GF is a fad. Yes, it is medically necessary for most people who follow a GF diet but some people just try it to lose weight, eat all the GF processed stuff don't lose weight and go back to eating the way they always did.

GF is certainly NOT low fat!! I don't eat the GF bread anymore, because it's still high in calories. And even though there are GF baked goods out there, they're still high in sugar and fats, so they're out too.

I admit, I miss the taste of an Everything Bagel. I can walk by all the baked goods I see, I don't eat bread on my sandwiches, yet the smell of a bagel just draws me in every time.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    Fad, noun; An intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived; a craze.
    Just saying. Just because it is for your health, doesn't necessarily mean it's not a fad.

& Thank you

I would say that for SOME people it is a fad -- they'll be the ones who "cheat" regularly, like "vegetarians" who cheat and eat a steak when it's available, and who two years from now won't be doing it anymore.

I initially went gluten free in support of my partner when his doctor told him that he had to, and found out that if I try to eat it now that it's out of my system I bloat to look like I'm about 7 month pregnant (literally), and have a severely upset stomach and cramps that keep me up at night for the next 3-5 days.

Also, we stopped eating gluten in September, and this is the first year that we haven't both gotten sick at least three times over the winter -- neither of us has gotten sick at all, most likely because our immune systems aren't busy fighting against something we're intolerant to all the time, and can actually fight the germs that come our way.

And while being gluten free doesn't necessarily help people lose weight, I know some people for whom it has meant going down a full size in their pants because they got rid of their perpetual bloat.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

Um, okay, you also said that your medical issues were helped and an undiagnosed autoimmune disease was discovered. You also mention a slew of medical issues you had and were looking to heal. Therefore, you continue to remain GF for medical reasons, yes?

Anyway, good for you. I'm glad things worked out. Hate to tell you, though, but it can still be a fad. People need to learn the definition of what a fad is, apparently, because it is not the same as eliminating it for medical issues.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

Um, okay, you also said that your medical issues were helped and an undiagnosed autoimmune disease was discovered. You also mention a slew of medical issues you had and were looking to heal. Therefore, you continue to remain GF for medical reasons, yes?

Anyway, good for you. I'm glad things worked out. Hate to tell you, though, but it can still be a fad. People need to learn the definition of what a fad is, apparently, because it is not the same as eliminating it for medical issues.

I guess I am not making my point clear. I am saying that many, many people PROBABLY would benefit from trying an elimination diet. They might not be aware they are experiencing any health issues, UNTIL they go off gluten. They might be thinking that their health issues are unresolvable. They might even think they have something OTHER than a gluten intolerance, and go to the doctor and ask for help, barking up the wrong tree.

A lot of people would never, ever try the elimination diet because "give up bread? are you KIDDING ME? NO WAY". Others falsely assume it helps lose weight (in my case, it was the elimination of carbs and the deflation of my belly and cessation of my inflammation).

People need to educate themselves about what gluten is, how it can affect someone who is intolerant to it, and how it isn't the "magic pill diet".
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

I guess I am not making my point clear. I am saying that many, many people PROBABLY would benefit from trying an elimination diet. They might not be aware they are experiencing any health issues, UNTIL they go off gluten. They might be thinking that their health issues are unresolvable. They might even think they have something OTHER than a gluten intolerance, and go to the doctor and ask for help, barking up the wrong tree.

A lot of people would never, ever try the elimination diet because "give up bread? are you KIDDING ME? NO WAY". Others falsely assume it helps lose weight (in my case, it was the elimination of carbs and the deflation of my belly and cessation of my inflammation).

People need to educate themselves about what gluten is, how it can affect someone who is intolerant to it, and how it isn't the "magic pill diet".

I think we're kind of inadvertently arguing the same thing (save the need for an elimination diet). My problem IS with the people who make uneducated decisions to cut something out or go GF because Miley Cyrus went GF and they want a body like hers. I'm not talking about people who have medical issues, who are experiencing symptoms (e.g. bloating) or anything of the like, I'm talking about the people who DO view something like going GF as a "magic pill". You can disagree with me until the cows come home, but there are many, many people who jump on a bandwagon because they think it's a "magic pill". Those are the people who probably end up jumping ship when it doesn't fulfill their needs or when they suddenly get a craving.

Yes, going GF is medically necessary for some and many people are intolerant, but that does not exclude it from also being a recent fad.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm undergoing a gluten-free test right now. In the past 11 years i've had 1 flex sig, 4 colonoscopies, and 1 endoscopy. I've had GI symptoms for 12 years and other symptoms for over 20. I've seen various doctors and specialists but have always kept the same Primary Care physician and the same Gastro. My PC physician has gone to admin so I had to switch. My new PC physician suggested going gluten free...(My GI issues now include random vommitting, not sick or fle but just vommitting.)

I've been gluten-free for 7 weeks. I've closed my diary because I've included "potty talk, stomach talk and other sympton talk" in the notes section of my food diary. Most symptoms are better...not all and not gone, but better. It will be interesting to see how this works out. I pray that the hand and foot pain goes away, but diminished is so much better. I found notes for a doctor's visit from 21 years ago and this pain was bad back then and hasn't improved!

Is it a fad...I don't know. My hope is that with some information from my food journal and notes section that we can figure it out. I don't have celiacs, but we'll see about intolerances.
  • gkozub
    gkozub Posts: 22
    Options
    fad, fad, fad, fad.

It is necessary for some people, it has worked well for weight loss for some people, but in the end it is just a fad. Eat what makes YOU feel and look your best.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    I will admit that I roll my eyes at people who go GF who don't have to. Because I have to. If you don't have a medical reason, don't do it. It makes those of us who don't have a choice look like we are jumping on a bandwagon.

I know this isn't the same thing, but this is what bothers me about being a vegetarian. I am one primarily for ethical reasons and have been for years, but I'm tired of people jumping on the veg*n bandwagon because they think it will help them lose weight, restrict, or make them supremely healthy. Also, it's damn annoying when those same people eat fish or eat a burger once a year as a "treat". It's why some people act like I'm a pain in the *kitten* because I don't want to eat chicken, fish, and mind it if my soup is made with chicken broth.

people don't have to live their lives based on the way you live yours. and the way they live their lives has NO reflection on you. It actually has nothing to do with you at all.

If someone wants to become a vegetarian because they want the health benefits, who are you to say that's wrong?

Because being a vegetarian is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. And, as I said, many of those same people have a burger as a "treat" or will occasionally eat chicken or fish, and then call themselves a vegetarian. They put a label on something and adapt the lifestyle without adhering to it. Some people abandon the lifestyle if it doesn't give them what they want (e.g. weight loss). That makes things more difficult for people who DO adhere to the lifestyle and take it very seriously; we're viewed as a pain in the *kitten* because we don't have chicken "just this once".

Although I kind of understand where you're coming from, consider this -- You don't eat meat for ethical reasons, but I don't eat meat because of an intolerance. Red meat causes vomiting, and fish/poultry make me feel nauseous and give me a headache and body ache (general flu-like symptoms). It's been that way my entire life.

So would it be fair for me to get angry at you because you are "choosing" to be a vegetarian and I have no choice (other than to make myself physically ill?) Is it wrong for me to call myself a vegetarian because you've decided that my medical necessity is your "lifestyle" and I don't adhere to the other aspects of it (for instance, I will buy leather)?? Should I get angry that people assume that I'm just being vegetarian for ethical reasons, that I could eat meat if I wanted to, and that I must be self-righteous about it and on a mission to convert them to my way of life?

If people are eating less meat for any reason, I'd say that's a good thing, personally, because most people eat too much of it.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Please help me out, here. I'm confused by this new fad. :/ It can't be because everyone all of a sudden has Celiac Disease...which from my understanding is pretty rare.

Take a look at this http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml

More and more highly educated people are coming to the same realizations. Maybe there is a good reason you are always confused!