How do you recognize being hungry?

Options
I've been on MFP for 10 months now and one thing I realize is that I didn't know when I was hungry/ or not yet/ or not anymore! What are YOUR signs?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Stomach growling is one sure sign.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure that one out. I have a lot of cravings, that's for sure. If I get hungry soon after I have eaten, then I know that either I didn't eat as much as I should have, or I am simply bored. So then I'll distract myself. If I continue to be "hungry," I'll eat 5 almonds and wait 10 minutes. That usually satisfies me. If it doesn't, then I'll eat something more substantial.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've been working hard to figure this stuff out. I guess it's different for everyone but am interested to see responses.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I find myself eating. That's when.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    if you can go on doing something without hunger sticking out, then you are fine i realizeed this, like times when i'm just sitting at home reading all i could eat like crazy and wouldnt take any notice, but weekdays when i'm busy studying or in school i could space out my meals (more like snacks, lol) and wouldn't have a problem. just try to occupy yourself, and if you feel that familiar pang of hunger while you are doing something, its time to eat. even alot of times when i think i wanna eat something, i just gulp down some water, and realize that i am not hungry at all. if you gulp down some water and your stomach is still growling, time to eat!
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't.

My biggest issue is not feeling hungry until I suddenly feel like I might die. Then I want instant energy like high sugar/high fat foods. It is a problem.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My belly starts rumbling like a thunderstorm in Kansas and I get GRUMPY.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky because when I am hungry my stomach growls. A lot! Thinking back to before my MFP days (aug 2012) my stomach never really growled that much. It pretty much never did. I would estimate that I was eating nearly twice as many calories back then. And I wasn't an awful eater. I ate pretty healthy, just more of it.

So now I do sometimes stress like "should I wait until I hear growling to eat".
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry enough to eat an apple, I am not that hungry.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    empty painful feeling in my stomach
    headaches
    crabbiness
    tired for no reason
    suddenly craving gummy bears and chips. that usually happens after a workout (i usually train fasted) and if i stop by the walkgreen's to pick something up on the way home. my body is just like omg get those gummy bears right there rightnow. :laugh:

my stomach growls when it's digesting or when i have gas so i cant go by that
  • simonhalee
    Options
    If I go too long without eating, I feel light headed and have a headache. I know I am getting hungry when my stomach starts to hurt. I have caught myself several times in the past week or so thinking about getting something to eat and realizing why I want to eat (usually boredom or keeping my hands busy). I am beginning to recognize authentic hunger versus emotional eating.