Fitness wear frustrations

Options
I'm new here. I've lost 20lbs using the myfitnesspal since late September and so thankful for the phone app.

Currently I am working out 5-6 days per week and I am trying to find fitness wear in my size. I left Academy Sports in tears tonight. After searching high and low I asked the Manager where the plus sizes were. (honestly I knew there weren't any and that was my point).

She told me they have "One t-shirt over there" but that's it. Really? ONE t-shirt? NO yoga pants? No shorts? No moisture wicking cute workout shirts? No. I then asked her how large her men's wear sizes go. 4X. She kept telling me the men's dept goes to 4x if I want to check there. Or, she suggested, go online.

So I did. I went online. They have 3 shirts in womens wear above a size XL. In the men's shirt dept they have over 50 shirts right now.

Where do you find workout wear for women with large chests? I don't want to order online. I want to go inside a store and try it on just like the skinny girls. I am feeling sad and overwhelmed. Very frustrated.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to buy the workout pants online and just wear t-shirts for now. I buy $5 shirts at target and walmart in the men's section to wear when I workout (I went from men's XL to men's S). That way when they get the set in funky smell I can toss them without feeling bad about it.

*I know you say you don't want to order online, but when I was XL the only store that I could find with yoga pants that fit was Old Navy and sometimes Road Runner sports or Nike outlet.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Target carries some Champion stuff in plus sizes. I've picked up shirts in 2XL there, and pants in XL.

For online, try onehanesplace.com. They also carry Champion items. Not necessarily the same selection, but in larger sizes.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Target might have something.

I don't know how big you need...

Maybe some of the plus-size stores?
    Like Torrid, Avenue.

Maybe some of the more high end stores have stuff - like Athleta & Lululemon?

Maurices has added a plus size section in store - they might have fitness stuff

I know you said you don't want to shop online but Old Navy has a whole section (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=5647) - and its reasonably priced so as you shrink, you won't break the bank
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    old navy and underarmor are my go to spots for quality athletic wear (tops and bottoms)

i also sometimes have luck at places like marshalls, ross and tj maxx but that's mainly for bottoms. i rarely find good tops there.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Do not spend a lot of money on work out wear
    you will be shrinking out of it in no time
    Look for comfort, the great looks will come to play
    when you get in shape.
    The workout is what is important.
    Go for it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have also had really good luck at target.
  • katie33001
    Options
    I like the JCP brand xersion. They have a big selection in store and online in plus sizes.

I don't need plus sizes anymore but I still like the brand. They're incredibly affordable.
  • mommm65
    mommm65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 18, but I am busty. Ordering online isn't great because you cant tell how tight the boobage is by the measurements. I have tried my Target and they are geared more for work clothing, (merged into the maternity dept), I will try our Old Navy store. We have a Marshalls, TJMaxx, and Ross, but they only go to a size XL in workout clothes, which works for yoga pants, but not tops.
  • mommm65
    Options
    Do not spend a lot of money on work out wear
    you will be shrinking out of it in no time
    Look for comfort, the great looks will come to play
    when you get in shape.
    The workout is what is important.
    Go for it!

Thanks so much. I am trying so hard to go for it, and spending a lot of money isn't on my agenda. But something that wicks sweat is. Cotton is, quite frankly, icky.
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hear you about not having any workout cloths for plus sizes. I am finally able to fit in a sports bra. Don't even get my started about that one. I found some workout pants at Target. I got XL yoga pants on sale at Walmart. They had up to 2XL Champion I think. Good luck findings something. I agree with Previous poster about not wanting to buy too much because I am just cruising through this size.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Kohl's near you?
  • mommm65
    Options
    Do you have a Kohl's near you?

Yes. I looked there last weekend. Their workout clothing goes to a size XL. The plus size dept does have casual t-shirts, but no workout clothing. Sadly. I did buy a great pair of running shoes which I love.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I bought exercise pants from Marshall's/outlets and for tops I wear the family's old men's Fruit of the loom white t-shirts. $6 pack of 5 at Target/Walmart. Throw it in the wash after each workout. Anything that makes you feel comfortable and as others have said, do not spend a lot of money at this size because you are going to shrink considerably.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Honestly, right now I have lost a few sizes but I am not where i want to be yet. So for now I am buying most of my workout clothes on ebay. Its much cheaper and alot of the stuff is brand new! Ive also started selling my larger clothes on there
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    walmart cotton pajama separates! I wear old t shirts and comfortable pants. don't feel like you need to have fancy work out clothes. I find they usually hinder more than help.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Old navy should work for yoga type pants. I've had good luck at Wal-mart and Target. i was your size when I started. I like basic black, grey, navy for pants and wear tank tops in various colors that you can pick up anywhere. I lucked out at Wal-mart with matching pants and jackets a few years back. They fit when I was a size 18W but actuallly look much better (ie loose rather than tight) now that I'm a 16 (without the W). they shrunk a little in the wash along the way, which was ok cause I was shrinking too.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Funny enough, I still use what I can fit into from prior to my weight loss, although its not much lol, just shirts really. I have needed to buy some new pants, but I dont want to spend money on something that will [hopefully] only be good for a few months so I just buy cheap yoga/ workout pants at Target/ Walmart/ Old Navy, never more than $10/15. P.S. this is my same rule for pajamas.

What I do spend my money on, to avoid chaffing and general uncomfortableness, is a good sports bra and if needed, compression pants/ short since I have a lot of extra skin on my tummy and thighs this makes a big difference.

Save your money for the good items and for a shopping spree when you reach your goal weight/ size (I know thats what I'm doing :blushing: ). Right now EVERYTHING I buy is from the clearance or sale section. It is hard because I want to buy all new clothes to match my smaller size but I know that if I keep going at it soon wont fit. I'm down from a size 26/3X a year ago to 16/ XL, and I still wear a few items that range from size 20/18/1X , because they fit (though loosely yay!) and I dont have the money to replace all my clothes.

Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Does lane bryant have an activewear line?
  • Jenks9
    Jenks9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started my journey! I ended up finding just what I need at Wal-Mart. They have Danskin workout clothes up to a 3X. They carry the moisture-wicking tops too. As much as love the comfy clothes to workout in, it's my socks that i couldn't do without. I was spending a lot of money buying Thorlo brand socks and I liked them but I recently bought a three pack of New Balance socks at Academy Sports and I love them even more and I got all three pair for the price of one pair of Thorlo. They have cushioning and are moisture-wicking. Don't forget to take care of your feet! Good luck on your journey!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells Danskin in larger sizes and Target has a good selection also. I remember going to Sports Authority last year looking for a pair of plus size capris with pockets. For some reason designers don't think women need pockets, but not only did they not have pants with pockets, they didn't have anything above XL, what few they did have.