juicing??

Options
My mom and I are starting a three-day juicing cleanse and I was wondering if any of you guys have ever done juicing & if you had any recipes to share! I'm also not sure what kind of diet I should go to afterwards, and how this will affect my calorie intake/how to put this into MFP.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• dancingqueen105
    Options
    bump!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What are you cleansing? Your body is a marvelous machine that cleanses itself with proper food and hydration. There's no reason to do cleanses except for a daily shower.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you body is having "cleansing" issues, you should see your doctor. A healthy human body is the only necessary cleansing system.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    instead of questioning or criticizing your juicing, i'm going to congratulate you on committing to something i don't think i could ever do - even for just 3 days! my husband and i juice to supplement our diet 5 times a week. one of our favorites is carrots, granny smith apples, and ginger. because we're not doing it as a meal replacement, i'm not sure what the quantities would be, but we usually do a pound of carrots, two good sized apples, and a 1/2" knob of ginger. another thing i've discovered is i don't like kale. we use swiss chard in our green juices, usually a lot of chard, two pears or green apples, a small handful of parsley, a cucumber, and 3 or 4 carrots.

also, too many cucumbers or celery stalks in juice are not good. the taste is overpowering. we never juice more than 1 cucumber or 3 full stalks of celery. and broccoli is probably my FAVORITE veggie, and i hate it juiced! so don't be afraid to try things you aren't sure about. if we make one up that we're not thrilled with, we use a straw and gulp it down ASAP - and remove that recipe from our list! good luck!

*edit - most people recommend a very light diet the day following a juice fast - clear broths, nothing to heavy, no meat or dairy. and i calculate calories by finding the nutritional info for the whole fruit, multiplying the dietary fiber grams by 4, and subtracting that number from the calories. each gram of dietary fiber has 4 calories, and juicing removes the fiber.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe 3 days of juicing could be damaging unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, juicing to "cleanse" yourself will not result in a cleaner body. The body is not a car, the oil doesn't need changed out. Eating well as to avoid the shock of reintroducing solid foods is a much kinder approach to your body.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I imagine your liver does a wonderful job all by itself....
  • dancingqueen105
    Options
    it's not exactly a "cleanse" per say (I could have chosen better wording) as much as a reboot or restart. It's meant to help us go back to a cleaner, healthier diet and get rid of / flush out some of the bad foods we've been eating a lot of lately!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    it's not exactly a "cleanse" per say (I could have chosen better wording) as much as a reboot or restart. It's meant to help us go back to a cleaner, healthier diet and get rid of / flush out some of the bad foods we've been eating a lot of lately!

So...why don't you just start transitioning to a healthier diet? Genuinely curious. Your body will hate you less.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Pooping (which will be the end results of this reboot) will do the exact same thing, except if you spend significant time juicing beforehand, you'll wind up constipated when you introduce solid foods. You'll have a really watery dump (how else do you think it's going to be "flushed out"?) and that will be the extent of your restart.

And why do you need a three day between learning new eating habits and now? You could do that today. Why put it off?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pooping (which will be the end results of this reboot) will do the exact same thing, except if you spend significant time juicing beforehand, you'll wind up constipated when you introduce solid foods. You'll have a really watery dump (how else do you think it's going to be "flushed out"?) and that will be the extent of your restart.

And why do you need a three day between learning new eating habits and now? You could do that today. Why put it off?

Just putting my two cents in....

From my experience..you don't learn new eating habits in 3 days. It takes time and usually, it's a slow process..just like weight loss. I would suggest just logging your food, teaching yourself about portions and slowly change what you eat and how you think in regards to food. Realize you don't have to have an all or nothing attitude or that you have to cut anything from your diet (unless you have an allergy/intolerance of course).
  • Bunnaliqua
    Bunnaliqua Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seems like people are really questioning your choice to juice for the 3 days but if you want to, it's your body right? I know the healthy light feeling from juicing though, I use juicing as an add on to meals as opposed to just having juice for days.

Anyways, here are some combos I've enjoyed and watch Fat Sick and Nearly Dead if you get the chance.

cucumber, celery, kale add apple if it's too veggie green tasting add some lemon or ginger for variety

apple pineapple mint

carrot beet

orange strawberry banana

tomato cucumber celery

make almond milk by putting almonds through your juicer w filtered water (lots of utube vids if ur not sure) or try this AWESOME discovery I made ---> make fresh apple juice then run almonds through your juicer w the apple juice. Run the same almond pulp and apple juice through a few times and you will get the yummiest creamiest almond apple drink - it's kinda like a smoothie and it's freakin delicious!
  • User819
    User819 Posts: 271
    Options
    mqdefault.jpg
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest just adding juice to your diet instead of doing a juice fast. I've tried them in the past (when I had disordered eating) and it ended up really messing with me. I had a lot of energy the first couple days, but then I crashed. Between the lack of food, sugar in the juices and Florida heat, I was wrecked. I remember going to the beach one day during my fast and just sleeping for hours instead of enjoying the day. Then, at one point, I got so aggravated that I forced my friend to take me somewhere to get lunch. I ended up scarfing a veggie wrap SO fast that I couldn't tell you what it even tasted like.

I think juicing is great; fresh juice is delicious and an easy way to get fresh produce into your system. Sometimes I have a juice before breakfast or as an afternoon snack. However, I really wouldn't recommend fasting. You should work on fostering healthy habits, not trying to overhaul your diet all at once.