How do you preven the soreness? New to the Gym.

Options
How do you prevent the soreness? Just from stretching?

Also, new to the gym anything anyone wants to recommend? I'm looking to lose weight then tone.

On a side note! I ate healthy and lost weight but now I started going to gym and it appears I gain a little weight? How can I eat healthy and exercise and gain weight? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    NO2 will decrease recovery time.
  • skittles137
    skittles137 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The only way to actually prevent muscle soreness is to exercise right up to the "burn" but not after. Muscle soreness is caused by microfractures in the muscle cells themselves, which is like damage. You can still build muscle without damaging them, just by building up your stamina. Stretching, drinking lots of water, etc, won't stop the soreness if you've already damaged the cells.

This is an easy wiki info on it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't prevent soreness but it will go away as your muscles get used to it. Stretching after a workout can help and keep moving!
  • panda2727
    panda2727 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How can you tell if it's muscle soreness or joint? I'm fine everywhere else and the soreness is around the knees. I'm not over doing it I'm just really unfit!
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Stretching, foam rollers, massage
  • panda2727
    Options
    Tylenol pain relieve cream is my best friend right now.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    Options
    How can you tell if it's muscle soreness or joint? I'm fine everywhere else and the soreness is around the knees. I'm not over doing it I'm just really unfit!

What exactly did you do to make your knees sore?
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are supporting your joints - especially if they have previous injuries. Also, and this is a MUST - no one here knows you better than you and your doctor. Make an appt. it is worth preplanning rather than reacting to an injury. Tell him/her that you are now going to the gym and want to start a healthy weight loss fitness regime - ASK THEIR ADVICE - that is why you pay them. They should be happy to help you plan a way to a healthier lifestyle. If they don't, SWITCH DOCTORS!

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • panda2727
    Options
    I'm just unfit! I did the elliptical and some cycling. WTF is wrong with me. I have a body of a 90 year old lol.

No previous injuries...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    After the first week, I did not have any more soreness. It seems to have been the initial shock to my system. But my first week of deadlifts...it was all I could do to sit down on or get up from the toilet. :laugh: Ibuprofen is god's way of saying push through and it will be OK.
  • panda2727
    Options
    After the first week, I did not have any more soreness. It seems to have been the initial shock to my system. But my first week of deadlifts...it was all I could do to sit down on or get up from the toilet. :laugh: Ibuprofen is god's way of saying push through and it will be OK.

Today was my third day!
  • MattTheWaterRat
    Options
    I'm just unfit! I did the elliptical and some cycling. WTF is wrong with me. I have a body of a 90 year old lol.

No previous injuries...

Avoid the elliptical and you'll be fine.
  • panda2727
    Options

No previous injuries...

Well how am I supposed to get cardio in? I'm assuming the treadmill will do the same no?
  • MattTheWaterRat
    Options

No previous injuries...

Well how am I supposed to get cardio in? I'm assuming the treadmill will do the same no?

I'm thinking that you were bouncing up and down on the elliptical, putting stress on your knees.

Cycling or swimming are two cardios that won't put a lot of stress on your knees while you're recovering.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Do cardio every other day with strength training in between days and a rest day off. Repetitive exercise isn't a good idea. The elliptical is just about the easiest cardio you can do for joints so I wouldn't avoid it.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    there are a 1000 and 1 ways to get cardio in. stairs, jump rope, side to side jumping..... try to vary your workouts to prevent boredom and injuries. just realized all those exercises are hard on the knees, but million ways to do cardio.
    and the more fun it is, the easier it will be to do it and keep it a habit.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

No previous injuries...

I'm thinking that you were bouncing up and down on the elliptical, putting stress on your knees.

Cycling or swimming are two cardios that won't put a lot of stress on your knees while you're recovering.

No. The elliptical is virtually no impact on your knees. It is simply your body adjusting to more movement than it is used to.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Throw a 35+ lbs rucksack on your back and go walk 12 miles. Plenty of cardio that way!
  • panda2727
    Options
    Do cardio every other day with strength training in between days and a rest day off. Repetitive exercise isn't a good idea. The elliptical is just about the easiest cardio you can do for joints so I wouldn't avoid it.

Maybe I'm just not using the equipment right? Is there a such thing as bouncing too much on a elliptical?
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    my knees were quite weak when I first started and it did go away over time as i built more strength - i just tried to be careful to not overdo it as i progressed. Be sure to stretch well after each workout, helps your recovery - and drink a lot of water.