HRM suggestions?

Options
Looking into getting a HRM...who has suggestions on best one? I want simple lol something not toooo expensive...

Replies

• mikejr1981
    Options
    are you looking for a watch or something that attaches to gym equipment

the Garmin forerunners are very good and easy to use, cheapest way to do it is on ebay, if you dont want to buy a used chest band then get a new band from amazon and the watch second hand.

look at Garmin forerunner 50, if you want to use it for running the forerunner 405 is GPS as well, connects to your computer maps runs gives you calories, speed etc

id suggest a GPS over a foot pod as works out similar price and you get better performance from GPS.

if you spend less than 50 quid i dont think you get very much
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've had great luck with Polar F4. Polar is a great brand because most of the treadmills and elliptical use polar monitoring systems, so when I use them, they auto sync with my HRM strap!
  • HeatherisHungry
    HeatherisHungry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7 today. I have mixed feelings about it. Here are the pros/cons from my first use:

Cons:
    *For me personally I don't like that there are so many pieces (so many being 3 lol). There is the watch thing, the chest strap and the transmitter that you attach to the chest strap. I am likely to lose one of these pieces.
    *You can't sync the info to a computer or app or anywhere without buying a $50 usb sync base (that I didn't buy).
    *It only shows your heart rate when you are wearing the strap and have pressed "start" on the watch thing. I would liked to know my resting heart rate, guess I will put the strap on in the morning in bed and see what it says.
    *$110 for this?? I am not frugal (I should be, but I'm not) and I'm not sure this is worth the cost. My fitbit was $100 and it isn't for the same purpose but I feel like it does a lot more.
    *No storage bag or case or anything. It says to store the pieces separately so I need to find some bag within a bag thing so I don't lose or forget a part when I go to the gym.

Pros:
    *The chest strap is comfortable. I put it right under my sports bra band and I didn't feel it at all. I was worried about this and thought it would slip or slide and it doesn't. Forget I even had it on.
    *It's cool to see how many calories I burned during a workout (if it is correct, I wonder how accurate it is).

Obviously my opinion might change as I use it more or learn more about it and the available features, but right now I wouldn't recommend it because there has to be something with better features for a cheaper price.
  • Time2Shine86
    Options
    I was looking at the Polar Ft40F Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch(White)
    Polar 134...on amazon was $179 on sale for $99
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I have the 4 in pink. It is comfortable but you need to make sure you have enough liquid (I use lotion) or it will lose readings. I had that happen twice mid workout. But since I started using lotion, it reads till I need it to stop.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 in pink and I love it. Super simple and not too fancy.

ETA: I paid $89 for it at D I c k's Sporting Goods.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 here! has the "calories burned" feature, and not to techie to figure out, customizable settings for gender, height and weight for accuracy. $85 on amazon.
  • befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was just looking up HRM's today and came across this article on Livestrong.com

I was googling using "best heart rate monitor with calories burned" and I was more interested in a wrist model and calories burned feature. Consumer reports also picked this as their number one according to the article.

They picked a cheap timex as the best and easiest to use. Comes with a water resistant chest strap at $40 bucks US currency.
    They also like the polar models.
    Here's the link . Good luck to ya.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/78421-wrist-heart-rate-monitors-calorie/
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    bump. I've been so confused on wth to get lol
  • ShannOliver
    ShannOliver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT60 has been such a great contributor to my routine so far, I can't imagine working out without it now. I highly recommend it (but it is pricey).
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. Got it on Amazon for about $80 and it has been more than worth it.
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you already have a smartphone, one with bluetooth (most do have that), I like my Polar BT7. It doesn't have a watch, it interfaces with your phone. It is compatible with Runkeeper, Endumondo, and lots of other apps.

I'm pretty sure Polar still makes sports bras for the ladies, so they don't have to wear the strap, like us fellas.