Lo Calorie Protein or Meal replacement

Options
I have been making my breakfast in the blender each morning but the calories in the protein powder are way too high. Can anybody recommend some protein that is low in calories but still packs a big nutrient wallop?

I add spinach, frozen berries, ground flaxseeds, non fat greek yogurt and almond milk so that adds up calories. Just want a little more protein without a lot more calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    EAS Lean 15- its 15g of protein and 100 cals for 2 scoops. i like it in vanilla :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you trying to get for breakfast?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Whey isolates are the highest purity proteins you can get- minimal extra carbs and fat so it will work out to close to 4 cals/g product.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Dont know if you have a WHOLE FOODS STORE in your area. But I get my protein powder from there. Biochem Sports Natural 20grams of protein, less than 4 carbs and 90 calories per scoop. Best wishes to you !
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been making my breakfast in the blender each morning but the calories in the protein powder are way too high. Can anybody recommend some protein that is low in calories but still packs a big nutrient wallop?

I add spinach, frozen berries, ground flaxseeds, non fat greek yogurt and almond milk so that adds up calories. Just want a little more protein without a lot more calories.

Thanks!

Just read this again. Whey isolate, such as from Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize, is almost pure protein. There are no other foods I'm aware of that offer a higher protein-calorie ratio.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    all depends..if you're looking for protein to add to shakes etc.... it's different but if you're looking for meal...
    Well, TILAPIA filets.... a standard filet around 4 oz is 95 cal for 22 g of protein. Pretty hard to beat
    Tuna can too... around 90 cal for 19g of protein.

For shakes well....
    Protilife makes these liquid pocket juice...you add them to water.
    Protilife - Concentrated Drink ( 50 cal for 10g protein )
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you just want a quick breakfast the Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt only has 80 calories and 12 grams of protein. Scramble up some egg whites for some extra protein and you could still have some fruit or turkey bacon, etc. and have a low calorie breakfast with a reasonable amount of protein.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Premier protein has premade shakes w/ 30 g protein and 160 cals. I buy them at Costco. Powder - I buy from Swanson vitamins online - 20 g protein and 90 cals per scoop. I buy the growth hormone free.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, replace or reduce greek yogurt and use no salt added cottage cheese. A great brand is friendship cottage cheese. Perhaps change from blender breakfast to an oatmeal omelet made with two eggs, a packet of plain instant oatmeal or Kashi very vanilla oatmeal and 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh fruit such as blueberries, peaches, etc. mix eggs with oatmeal packet then add fruit and cook like a pancake or omelet depending on the consistency of the mixture. I add cinnamon or get creative with no calorie spices.
    The other thing is, not sure how much more protein you're looking to add. But no one says you have to use a full scoop of protein. I frequently will just use fractions of a scoop and to food items throughout my day... I will mix 1/4 scoop to cottage cheese and eat with fruit or mix 1/4 scoop in with my oatmeal after its cooked. It increases my daily protein without it being all at one meal.